Can anyone recommend a good electrical guy who specializes in camper vans in Phoenix?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Giggles

Reaction score
Hey, guys,

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Does anyone know of any [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]automotive electrical experts in the Phoenix area? If so,[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] I'd love to get their name[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]. [/font]

I just got my first van, and I love it. But, it used to be an FBI surveillance van and it seriously has more wires than I can even count.  It has a hidden battery bank, an inverter, a full size A/C in unit in the back,  a periscope (yes, really!), plus some microphones and speakers. Oh, and an alarm system I found by mistake. (I'm sure my neighbors loved me after that. Lol. ) And that's just what I've found so far.  

Unfortunately, the FBI didn't leave behind any manuals for the custom system they left behind, so, I'm guessing I'm probably going to be in need of some help when it comes to that part of the van renovation. 

Thanks!

what exactly do you want the electrician to do? there are several qualified people are around Quartzsite all winter. my first thought would be Jimindenver he is a great guy and very knowledgeable but very busy. appointments are mandatory. highdesertranger

Thank you!

I guess  I need an electrician to help me figure out how to turn on the battery banks. I have an inverter, but it doesn't seem to be working. I would also like to see if he can get the huge A/C unit in the back of the van working,  and if he can get the periscope working. Lol.

Also, the lights in the back of the van are not working. The guys at the car lot told me that one of the fuses blew, and once I fix that, the lights in the back of the van should come on. I had to order a special after-market fuse from Amazon today, so hopefully when it arrives, I can tun on the lights. But...if that doesn't work, I'll also need an electrician to help me get the lights working, too.

And if the batteries are not salvageable, I'll need an electrician help me remove them all, plus the wiring.

Sounds a little suspicious to me, have you done a title history?
If it indeed was an FBI van, I'd expect equipment to be working, or removed.
Unless someone had it in the meantime and tried DIYing stuff on it.
Unless the price was fantastic, it may turn out to be a headache all this unknown wiring to deal with, especially in troubleshooting.

Todo we’ve seen them sold like that before with all equipment intact.

yeah they only take out what they don't want you to have. like radios. highdesertranger

I forgot to mention Pirate Camp and Doug(abnorm) might be able to look at it for you. highdesertranger

I'm in La Posa south LTVA south of Quartzsite. I can give you a idea of what's up at least. Beyond that we will discuss.

Uncle Todo said:
Sounds a little suspicious to me, have you done a title history?
If it indeed was an FBI van, I'd expect equipment to be working, or removed.
Unless someone had it in the meantime and tried DIYing stuff on it.
Unless the price was fantastic, it may turn out to be a headache all this unknown wiring to deal with, especially in troubleshooting.

Most of the equipment was removed. Thee only things they could not remove were the things that were permanently affixed to the van. 

Yes...the price was fantastic....and the van only had 7000 miles. And it was completely insulated and soundproofed. I knew the electrical system probably wouldn't work, but I bought it anyway, because it was a great deal. Also I had planned on taking out the huge AC unit in the back, but then I thought...welll why not try to see if I can get it working?

The periscope is permanently affixed to the roof...they couldn't take that out without trashing the van. So they left that. They also left the furniture and the batteries, plus some other stuff. But most of the electrical stuff was removed. (you should see all the wires they left!)

Ahh, okay, well in that case, I'd recommend trying to sort what's what yourself and rewiring if need be, and may be the case depending on what it had that was removed.
It may not be the quickest way, but it would be cheaper, and you'd know the system inside out.
My van wasn't FBI, but is a conversion van which have a TON of wiring over stock. First thing I did was gut the van and all wiring that wasn't factory and then anything I add will be on to factory wiring so at some point when I'm troubleshooting a wiring issue it'll be much easier to diagnose.
You can always post pics and ask for help.

jimindenver said:
I'm in La Posa south LTVA south of Quartzsite. I can give you a idea of what's up at least. Beyond that we will discuss.

Thanks, Jim! 

I haven't taken the van out camping yet, but when I do, I will definitely try to find you. Appreciate it. :)

Uncle Todo said:
Ahh, okay, well in that case, I'd recommend trying to sort what's what yourself and rewiring if need be, and may be the case depending on what it had that was removed.
It may not be the quickest way, but it would be cheaper, and you'd know the system inside out.
My van wasn't FBI, but is a conversion van which have a TON of wiring over stock. First thing I did was gut the van and all wiring that wasn't factory and then anything I add will be on to factory wiring so at some point when I'm troubleshooting a wiring issue it'll be much easier to diagnose.
You can always post pics and ask for help.

Thanks. I actually had the same idea as you...I was going to remove all the old wiring and start fresh. Well, I tried to remove a ton of wiring today, but it goes up into the wall (behind the insulation and sound proofing) and also down under the van (I'm wondering if it was being charged by the alternator?) so it was impossible to remove without taking everything apart. So, for now. I'm just keeping the unsightly mess hidden behind a waste basket. Lol. I'll take a photo the huge heap o' wires tomorrow and post it.