Camper Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sadarahu

Reaction score
I'm looking for options to buy a camper shell (frame) or unfurnished truck camper so I can do DIY finish and build the interior the way I want. Any ideas ?

Art

Art,
You might try doing a forum or blog search on a term like "shell" --- I remember maybe more than a year ago seeing posts from a trucker who had purchased some sort of fiberglass shell that fit in a truck bed. He had pics of how hem modified the empty shell. I think Bob Wells also looked into some open interior truck campers some time ago. Maybe others will remem er more precisely one or both of those threads??

Ming had a fiberglass camper shell. I'm not sure if that was her forum name however but worth a search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WriterMs - let me clarify. I'm not looking so much for a shell but rather unfurnished camper. Another words I would like to purchase bare bone camper with lifts, windows, floor, door. Just no furniture or appliances. Then I would the the inside exactly to my needs with super light materials. Most companies use wood and plywood which are quite heavy. Thanks - though I will do search on that.
Art

I see cheap campers on craigslist all the time. Ones that have sat for ages and the interior is toast anyways.
You'd have to gut one yourself but but if you have the skills to build one out you have the skills to gut one too.
Otherwise, you'd have to buy a brand new one empty from the manufacturer (which you can order).

sadarahu said:
I'm looking for options to buy a camper shell (frame)
by that do you mean a self-propelled vehicle or a trailer?

Over at Wander the West there are lots of build threads in the pop-up camper forum.  A build would be similar in a hard shell.  Expedition Portal has forums for all types of buildouts.

John61CT said:
by that do you mean a self-propelled vehicle or a trailer?

I'm looking for a truck camper only (not interested in trailers)

I know Capri campers used to build one totally empty, just a shell. But they changed owners and I don't know for certain they still will--but I bet they do! Contact them here:
http://capricamper.com/

I also know 4-Wheel Pop-up campers will sell you one totally empty, but they are still very expensive even empty.

My guess is you would be surprised how many will sell you one empty if you order it.

If you can live without a slide-in, I gave serious thought to one of these instead:
http://belairshells.com/wood-n-alum

akrvbob - all of those are nice for short trips but I would not accept something like that for full time living. I'm not an the edge of being homeless or pushed to the point I need to live way below comfort. At the same time it is more of a psychological aspect that I'm sick and tired of living in a big city with no contact to nature. Of course most of the time everything is about money and I understand that part clearly. My ideology is however wait as long as needed to save enough to be happy and not to compromise to much.
I would rather wait 1-2 more yeears to get proper budget than live in a car which I cannot feel comfortable (and by word comfort I mean much less than comfort of my apartment, but more than struggling with simple daily tasks like washing, cooking etc.). I've been there and I've done that when camping in a tent, but those trips usually were not longer than 1-2 months. I'm Ok with that but not full time.
I really appreciate all of you sharing your experiences and advice, although each of us has different standards and different budgets so we all just trying to find a common ground here.
Your posts and suggestions made me much more clear on what I want. I still have some doubts but definitely have a better picture of how much I'm willing to compromise and if I cannot reach the minimum level of expected comfort then I just stay where I am or at least wait longer until I'm ready to jump in.

thank you all for your replies and time !