Camp coffee

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this for my final post on this subject. Step 1, Boil my water on the firepit grill. Step 2, when starting to boil dump in the correct ratio of coffee grounds. Step 3, let boil 1 minute. Step 4, pull the coffee pot off the direct heat, let steep for 5 minutes. Step 5, pour one cupful into my French Press. Step 6, push the FP plunger down. Step 7, pour into my cup - drink. Repeat steps 5, 6 & 7 until water pot is empty. Step 8, rinse the FP & water pot. Toss the cup in the firepit, toss the spoon in the garbage. I already have the FP, just need to buy my water pot from Walmart for $20.

Queen said:
I'd give my right arm for that pot! All my pots and pans are old Revere, I love them, that would be an excellent addition... and I love the way the copper bottom evens out the heat.  Great find.

I have a complete small set of Revere Ware I bought new. This was the piece I needed to compliment that set, but found it quite a few years later.
Most folk now days are not aware of how well it works for being such old school technology.

Being a 24/7 kinda coffee drinker, I have a bunch of percolators! One is electric from the 30s, so I'll have to give that up. Three or four are glass; some from the 50s and 60s and one fairly recent, I think I'm going to have to give those up as well. And finally, I have a couple of camping percolators that will become my traveling companions!!

grandpacamper said:
How about this for my final post on this subject.  Step 1, Boil my water on the firepit grill.  Step 2, when starting to boil dump in the correct ratio of coffee grounds.  Step 3, let boil 1 minute.  Step 4,  pull the coffee pot off the direct heat, let steep for 5 minutes.  Step 5, pour one cupful into my French Press.  Step 6, push the FP plunger down.  Step 7, pour into my cup - drink.  Repeat steps 5, 6 & 7 until water pot is empty.  Step 8, rinse the FP & water pot.  Toss the cup in the firepit, toss the spoon in the garbage.  I already have the FP, just need to buy my water pot from Walmart for $20.

I lied this is my final word,

Do - My Cowboy Coffee Proven Method - after many tries

Cowboy coffee doesn’t have to be bad. After all, I have all the supplies needed to brew great coffee: high-quality grounds, water, a heat source and a pot, spoon & strainer. Here’s how I make cowboy coffee that would rival what you brew at home. I used a French Press for awhile but found that pouring into a metal press cooled the water down too rapidly hard to regulate in the cool mountain air.

'Cowboy' coffee (Start each cup with clean equipment)

Step 1 - Bring 3 cups water to boil (approx 10 min)
Step 2 - Add 4 Tbsps ground coffee, stir (I use long wooden spoon)
Step 3 - Let boil 1 minute, remove from heat, stir
Step 4 - Stir at 2 min intervals (6 min steeping or less). I like it stronger, adjust for taste.
Step 5 - Pour from pot through strainer into cup (I use 20 oz), enjoy.

The fresher the grounds the better the coffee. The grounds are bio-degradable, the bushes & worms love 'em. I use a $12 Ozark Trail coffee pot (perc style) from Walmart, tossed the insides. Stainless steel & cheap. 20 oz paper cups, burn ’em at the end of the day, plastic spoon toss in garbage..

Sometimes at home I'll put water into a 2 qt pot and bring to a boil on the stove. After adding some coffee grounds, I'll watch it boil roil around until its rolling in the center. Then shut off the fire. A coupla minutes later, the grounds have sunk and I slowly pour off a cup or three of the brewed liquid. If I find sediment at the bottom of the cup, that gets tossed out and another cup is poured. easy peasy.

Coffee....ahhhhh.....
Coffee making is all about your own personal preference and I'm pretty particular. 
I grind my Eight O'Clock beans in a hand burr grinder.  The best way to get the oil out of my fresh ground beans is with water just off a boil.  I have a cheap tea kettle to boil the water.  The whistle it provides is how I know my water is boiling.  Whether you use a camp stove, gas stove or a grate over a fire, you get the same result.  Then I take the kettle off the heat to let the whistle stop. Never boil your coffee. Its just wrong. Always steep it in just off the boil water.
Next, I use a french press.  There is no right answer about how much coffee you use or how long to brew it.  Test it out to what suits you.  I use a Mr. Coffee measure scooper and put 4 level scoops in.  I tried different quantities until I found what I like.  I also tested various brew times.  I settled on 10 minutes of brewing.  You may find less or more coffee and less or more brewing time suits you. 
After I pour my first cup, the rest goes in a thermos sized so very little air is left in the thermos with the remaining brewed coffee.  Coffee goes bad because of oxidation with the air.  By having minimal air, you get less oxidation.  The coffee in the thermos will stay fresh all day.

Jim Ragsdale said:
Coffee....ahhhhh.....
Coffee making is all about your own personal preference and I'm pretty particular. 
I grind my Eight O'Clock beans in a hand burr grinder.  The best way to get the oil out of my fresh ground beans is with water just off a boil.  I have a cheap tea kettle to boil the water.  The whistle it provides is how I know my water is boiling.  Whether you use a camp stove, gas stove or a grate over a fire, you get the same result.  Then I take the kettle off the heat to let the whistle stop. Never boil your coffee.  Its just wrong.  Always steep it in just off the boil water.
Next, I use a french press.  There is no right answer about how much coffee you use or how long to brew it.  Test it out to what suits you.  I use a Mr. Coffee measure scooper and put 4 level scoops in.  I tried different quantities until I found what I like.  I also tested various brew times.  I settled on 10 minutes of brewing.  You may find less or more coffee and less or more brewing time suits you. 
After I pour my first cup, the rest goes in a thermos sized so very little air is left in the thermos with the remaining brewed coffee.  Coffee goes bad because of oxidation with the air.  By having minimal air, you get less oxidation.  The coffee in the thermos  will stay fresh all day.
I found that burr ground coffee left more sediment in the bottom of the cup.  I decided the buyoff would be to buy quality ground beans from the restaurant supply store.  Coffee brews best when the water is 200 degrees, so if you are at sea level don't boiling holds true.  If you are at 3-5000 feet as I usually am then the boiling point is lower.  Looking at the chart you will see that at those levels water boils close to the 200 degrees.  The whole process takes 20 minutes from start to drinking.  A percolator takes 15-20 minutes, a 'French Press' takes about the same time (but you have to preheat you carafe).  

I let it boil for 1 minute after adding grounds to extract as much flavor as I can, then remove it from the heat source letting it process & reach drinkable temp usually about 5-6 minutes.  I let it rest the last minute to settle the grounds, NO cold water or egg shells.  I only make a 3 cup pot easier to gauge & I get the freshest cup each time.  My goal was to minimize the equipment needed & process time.  I use 24 oz paper cups, holds 2 oz of half n half (to my personal taste) & the 20-22 oz that hasn't turned to steam out of the pot.  I use a straw to help stir it & keep the unavoidable sediment stirred into the coffee.  A plastic spoon will not reach the bottom but a straw does.  After having my 4 cups a day I burn my cup & toss the straw into my garbage pail.

I only have to rinse my pot & strainer either in the river or into the bushes, I don't have to clean & transport my tea kettle, FP, cup & spoon.  Washing dishes was the first exercise I eliminated.  Since I'm retired, somewhat disabled staying close to camp, I have time to spend the required 80 minutes a day making/drinking fresh coffee.  To each his own.

Attachments

• boilingpoint.jpg
    boilingpoint.jpg
    61.2 KB
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add my $.02 worth.  You asked about camp coffee so I thought I would share a link and "recipe" for cowboy coffee.  It takes 4 ingredients.
Recipe:
Fire
3 quart coffee pot
¾ cup grounds
½ – ¾ cup cold water

Add water to just under the spout
heat the water until warm
add 3/4 cup of coffee
bring to a rolling boil, not bubbly, rolling for 2 or 3 minutes
Take pot off fire and let it settle for a minute
pour 1/2 - 3/4 cup cold water down the spout

This came from Kent Rollins, Cowboy cooking. https://kentrollins.com/2016/09/cowboy-coffee-how-to-make-the-best-cup-of-coffee/
He has more detailed explanation.  This also jives with the way my grandfather made coffee when we would have the men come over for branding.  There was always a pot of coffee on the fire.  I just didn't remember the ratio which is what you asked.  Based on this method it seems 1/4 cup of coffee to a qt of water.  Ken

AbuelaLoca said:
From roastycoffee.com

1. Add water to your pot measuring exactly how much water your pot will hold as you add the water.
2. Place the pot on the campfire and bring the water to a boil.
3. Once the water is boiling, remove the pot from the fire and allow it to sit for 30 seconds. This will lower the temperature to around 200 degrees Fahrenheit which is perfect for brewing coffee.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of coffee to your pot for every 8 ounces of water that your pot will hold.
5. Stir the grounds in the water thoroughly.
6. Allow the pot with the coffee to sit for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, stir the coffee again.
7. Leave the coffee pot alone for another 2 minutes.
8. After 4 minutes of brewing time has passed, sprinkle a little cold water onto the coffee to help it settle on the bottom.
9. Pour the coffee slowly into your mug of choice making sure the grounds remain in the pot.
10. Dispose of your used grounds and rinse out your coffee pot.

I'll be using a percolator cuz I drink a whole pot a day, not just a few cups ;-)

Abuela, I would deem you the winner of this contest !
Thank you !
wheels

Ballenxj said:
I found an old Revere Ware peculator pot on ebay a few years ago, and this combo is what I was planing to use on the road.
I will have to remember to get course ground coffee for this set up.
standard.jpg
That is a great looking coffee pot and appears to be an excellent heat source for it !
Cheers, wheels

1. Melitta Brewing Cone: https://shoponline.melitta.com/prod...ne-black/single-serve-pour-over-coffee-makers

2. Insert 1 #2 cone filter into brewing cone: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brew-Rite-2-Cone-Coffee-Filter-100-Count/14968035
I add 1 1/2 plastic spoon fulls of Folgers Colombian coffee into brewing filter.

3. Sit brewing cone on top of a 20 oz. foam cup.

4. Pour hot water from 1 quart pot into brewing cone with filter.

5. Add honey(optional, no, not your wife), stir with plastic spoon. Save plastic spoon for 1 more cup of coffee. 

6. I use the rest of the hot water to pour over instant oatmeal in a foam bowl.

After enjoying 2 cups of coffee and oatmeal, dispose of foam items , plastic spoon and brewing filter. Nothing to wash.

KathyC said:
I have recently begun making easy cold brewed coffee...it comes out fantastic and you can either heat it for hot coffee, drink it cold/iced add to other beverages.  It's so easy and so incredibly smooth compared to brewed coffee...

3/4 cup medium-ground coffee
3 cups water

add water and coffee grounds to 1 qt mason jar.  seal and shake until mixed.  set aside for four hours.

strain through coffee filter (I use a reusable one/a paper one will do).  A wide mouth jar works best.

refrigerate up to two weeks.  Makes around 20 ounces

Another vote for cold brew here. It's never bitter.

I make cold brew in my french press, then transfer to a tightly sealing jar/bottle. I leave mine to "brew" about 24 hours - the longer you leave it sit, the stronger it becomes. You're basically making coffee syrup. I use about 1/4 lb of ground coffee in a 1 qt french press, then fill up with water. Just experiment until you find a strength you like. Then press the grounds and store your syrup in the refer.

When you want to make a cup to drink, just add either hot or cold water to some of your coffee syrup. For me, the best ratio is about 1/3 cup syrup to 2/3 cup.

This method will use up more coffee grounds than brewing with hot water, but the smoothness is worth it to me. Also, I like having no paper filters to throw away. And no worries about the water temperature affecting the extraction.

I use camp perc but instead of letting it boil which scorches the coffee I get it close then pour water in my cup. then pour that water in top of perc over the grounds. maybe repeat a few times if Im feeling froggy.

continuing from the 3rd page,

you can find those old percolators at thrift shops all the time. well, at least around Atlanta. sometimes, it looks like it was used maybe once!