cameras, motion detectors, break ins

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Balloon tires"

I haven't heard that term in many, many years. LOL

Highdesertranger

^
Yeah, it was just a joke. They just looked really fat on that Jeep. That's a cool old truck BF.

These days you see some ridiculously big tires on trucks that are probably way beyond what's needed to get to where they want to go.

BTW: Lots of bicycles are being sold now with balloon tires for offroading but I guess they prefer calling them 'fat tire' bikes.

Maybe with all that extra air they can float over streams? (another joke)...

People are worried about thieves stealing vehicles in spite of cameras, kill switches, etc.  Just leave the gas tank empty; how many thieves carry a can of gas?  ;) :D 
A few days ago a thief stole my cousin's Toyota pickup (with a camper shell) from the driveway.  My solution would have worked great.  :cool:  The truck was 30 years old (but ran fine).

My van had an old cheep side light with an interior light switch. I remove that and installed a  MG1000-450 12 Volt Exterior Motion RV LED Porch Light, RV Security Motion Porch Light in White. Easy15 minute removal and install.  Has worked great for 5 years so far. It does light up the area pretty good and its nice to have a little light when heading back at night. https://basicrv.com/product/mg1000-...h-light-rv-security-motion-porch-light-black/

Cousin_Eddie said:
My van had an old cheep side light with an interior light switch.
I can hear the light imitating a baby bird.   :thumbsup: :D

doublegregg said:
looking for info on - as i said -- cameras, such as this cheap one... which looks like it communicates with a phone? is that via wifi? the price is cheap, but i don't really understand these new cameras, security systems, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Sec...s=bluetooth+camera&qid=1610916681&sr=8-4&th=1

it would be nice to have a camera you can just put somewhere, preferably with storage, reasonable clarity, cheap, easy... wouldn't that be nice? so - you could leave it in your van when you ran into the store, and it's monitoring the interior. or if you're camped somewhere, put it outside or poking out a window... presto... i think that'd be nice..... anyone work with those things? do they exist? am i sadly misinformed?

ty!
When I had a store that occupied two buildings I had a fancy security system to show me what was going on in the front, and at a moment when I was busy with something else someone stole the camera! I replaced it with a baby monitor I got at Goodwill for under 10 bucks and the baby monitor worked pretty much the same.

Out here in wonderful California, the first thing they'll grab is your dash camera, they figure dash cam, something to steal. Usually people have then hanging right out in the open, from the mirror or stuck to the dash.
Some new ones are incorporated into a visor you can exchange.
I'm thinking something smaller, harder to find. Someone on an amazon review said they were using a small body cam as their dash cam. It just clips onto something. A nanny cam might do it, too.

BelgianPup said:
Re: a dog. 

You don't need an aggressive dog, you need an alert dog that barks.

A cop once said that the two main things that criminals don't like are lights and barking dogs.
what about a motion detector that sets off a barking noise....... they have them for houses, i think, sometimes wired to doorbells? if the bark varied, it might be useful to deter thieves....

I saw one once that had the barking dog and a shot gun racking in a shell sound, a winning combination, except with some of the training police are getting these days you would end up with a SWAT team peppering you van full of holes it seems! LOL!!!

Latest posts