Camera suggestions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot about Fuji. Fuji makes excellent glass.

. $100 at Best Buy.
10x
14 megapixel
It doesn't mention a manual mode though

Fuji Finepix T210

You have to scroll down the page a bit to find it.

Thanks!&nbsp; I definitely don't think I'll be going pro in my photograpy pursuits. Most pictures will never see paper; only email and blog posts.<br><br>doing a <A href="http://www.dpreview.com/products/co...mp;products=sony_dsch70&amp;sortDir=ascending" target=_blank><b>side by side comparison</b></A> it looks like the Fuji FinepixT210&nbsp;or&nbsp; the Sony&nbsp;&nbsp;DSC H70 is the way to go.&nbsp; I really want a camera I can play with and learn more about photography.<br>

cyndi said:
I don't have a paypal account now, so ebay is out!
<br>You can pay paypal with a credit card not setting up an account.<br><br>Getting back to the subject, I've got a kodak digital camera I'm thinking of replacing/suplamenting.&nbsp; It still works good except for forgeting the time when the batteries are out.&nbsp; After more than a decade, it's on the big and heavy side for cameras though.&nbsp; (2.1 megapixels, uses AA batteries and compact flash.&nbsp; Good optics.)<br>

I really want a camera I can play with and learn more about photography.

Then you really want a camera with a manual mode, or at least one you can adjust the exposure. You also want a program which lets you manipulate digital images, because photography is a two step process: what you get in the camera is not the final image. There are good free ones available.

The best free program is GIMP. - very much like photoshop

So, last night santa called and he's bringing me a new camera, for Christmas. I told him what I was looking for, and the models I was looking at. The rest of it is up to him. Thanks, everyone, for your opinions and expertise.<br><br>I must have been VERY VERY good this year, because he gave me a choice between a new computer and a new camera.<br><br>&lt;3 Santa <br><br>Seraphim, I use gimp, some. It's on the list of things to learn to do better.<br>

I've tried to use gimp -- it must be one of those things that are not me-friendly, I could never get it to do the simple things I wanted.&nbsp; Some people find macs easy-to-use, I like Debian Linux.<br>

<P>Blars, I haven't found gimp particularly user friendly, either. I haven't spent a lot of time figuring it out,&nbsp; either. I'm glad to know it's not just me.</P>

I am a huge fan of Picassa. Its a basic photo editor thats a free download from Google. Amazingly simple and easy to use yet does 90% of what the average person wants. I have Photoshop Elements for the very few things Picassa doesn't do but I hate it and only use it for the few advanced things I want to do. Highly recomended. Bob<br>

<P>GIMP is linux based PhotoShop clone. The basic tools are simple, but it helps to think in layers, which is the strength of the advanced editors: you can apply and remove edits selectively by merely disabling a layer. Prevents you from starting all over again if you make an edit you decide you don't want. You won't learn all the capabilities overnight, that's for certain.</P><br>I have an old copy of PhotoShop 7 I prefer, mostly because I'm more familiar with it. It took a while to figure out, as well.<br><br><BR>Need to start a photo how-to thread lol.<BR><br>

<P>I, too, use picasa for simple edits. But I am interested in being able to do the layering thing.&nbsp; I know gimp can do it, but I have to put in the practice and learning time.&nbsp; I'm not so good at that.</P>