Buying land in Arizona or Nevada

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DannyB1954 said:
Arizona has State income tax. Depending on your income, Nevada may be better. You can always vacation in Arizona.

IIRC, I have read that AZ does not tax income received from Social Security. 

I lived in NV for 13 years and consider it as much my home as I do Ohio, if not more so, actually. I love NV, but I would not (will not) re-establish permanent residency there when I finally go "on the road". NV may not have any income tax, but believe you me, they get their pound of (tax) flesh one way or t'other. Be it through gas taxes, confiscatory vehicle/license plate registration fees, etc. You will wish there was an income tax instead. The "no personal income tax" greatly benefits the higher end of the income spectrum but ends up being quite regressive on the lower end of the income spectrum. 

Just my $.02 ($.015 after taxes).
-Greg

I was a Real Estate Broker in Arizona for many years. All property must have access. You can't sell land locked property in Arizona legally. It is correct that Arizona doesn't tax Social Security.

Mike

The start of the thread got me all excited about Apache County and then I read down to where Vagabound posted that they aren't so lenient. Dang.

Any other places that would substitute? I'm planning on getting land in UT, AZ, NM or NV.

A few cheap acres in Az that allowed rv\camping would be awesome!

Having a zoning code, as in Apache County, AZ, isn't a sign of an oppressive County. It is a cost but it likely also means a better return on your investment. There area range of potential cultural issues in rural Counties and codes fit into that matrix. You want to understand that culture before you invest. Skilled DIYers should be able to comply. Go in to the office and talk to the folks about what you want to do. To be prudent get an option on the land and then go get your permit. An area that already has folks doing what you want to do is a big plus. Talk to them.

I like the idea of having a place to base camp for a full season. I was thinking mostly the "tourist" season. Just hunker down and wait till they all go home

So, probably New Mexico is not the right place to pass the summer.

But, I have found that nearly everywhere won't allow the owner to live on the land in their RV.
I get why they do that sort of zoning. But it is making it difficult for me to find anything within my budget. Having to buy the house too makes it expensive.

Just throwing this out there... thinking out of the box..... and having been on a few native people's reservations... wonder if we could "rent" land from them for our long-term ventures? They have different rules, not under federal requirements and usually make good money deals ;) It might take someone with some heritage... mine won't do as it's too far back (1/64th? ) and it's Eastern Cherokee any way. hahaha

New Mexico also has an advantage of varying climates... south for desert, north for cool mountains.

akrvbob said:
Wells are pretty much out of the question in much of AZ. The kind of places most of us are wanting to throw-together will use rain-catchment part of the year, and hauling in water the rest of the year. Both of those are easy, just a bunch of 55 gallon drums.
Bob

My uncle used to haul it in 55 gallon drums in Alaska before getting his well drilled.  Then he bought a 300 gallon tank and trailer with a little on board pump to fill it from a stream or lake.  Rigged it so he could back it next to the house and plug right in.  Thought it was a pretty cool set up.  I'd be perfectly happy with that system.  Or combo of systems....rain catchment and tank

DrJean said:
Just throwing this out there...  thinking out of the box.....  and having been on a few native people's reservations...   wonder if we could "rent" land from them for our long-term ventures?  

New Mexico also has an advantage of varying climates...  south for desert, north for cool mountains.

Sure, many tribes will allow you to stay year-round on their land for a fee. The Quenchen tribe down by Algodones will let you stay there for $80 a year. Some of the All-American canal is on their land so it includes free fishing. 

Not all desert is warm, in fact, high-desert is pretty cold. New Mexico is a very high-elevation state. Only a small part of it is even close to as low as 3000 feet and that is all right down on the Mexico border. That's much too cold for me.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I've considered the areas around Lander, Pinedale, Western edge of the Black Hills, and Southern end of Big Horns,WY for relocation.

-- Spiff

ALL such beautiful areas! I spent up to 5 months every year in those areas for several decades. Just drive south in winter months. But I have not been able to locate cheap attractive land there so far.

I once took a job just north of Carlsbad .
Before I took it I asked if it gets cold there.
They told me 40* so I left Nashville that night.
The second night after I got there (December 29th) it was 25* AND 6 INCHES OF SNOW FELL !
You have been warned....................
Oh BTW the cold lasted for 2 weeks !
It was much warmer in Nashville that year..

In Nye County Nevada I know that one can get a permit to live on their land in their RV for 6 months a year. Apparently even that is not enforced, because right outside of their office window in Pahrump is a man living in his bus, (on his property), and he hasn't moved it in two years.

rvpopeye said:
I once took a job just north of Carlsbad .
Before I took it I asked if it gets cold there.
They told me 40* so I left Nashville that night.
The second night after I got there (December 29th) it was 25* AND 6 INCHES OF SNOW FELL !
You have been warned....................
Oh BTW the cold lasted for 2 weeks !
It was much warmer in Nashville that year..
That's New Mexico for you. I've been in Tucson when it was snowing in winter also.

akrvbob said:
Wells are pretty much out of the question in much of AZ. The kind of places most of us are wanting to throw-together will use rain-catchment part of the year, and hauling in water the rest of the year. Both of those are easy, just a bunch of 55 gallon drums.
Bob

There is a fair amount out there on harvesting rainwater. Here are three different manuals if you're interested. Texas, Hawaii & Virginia.

http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publicati.../doc/RainwaterHarvestingManual_3rdedition.pdf

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaiirain/Library/Guides&Manuals/HI_Guidelines_2010.pdf 

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/hawaiirain/Library/Guides&Manuals/VA_RWH_Manual2009.pdf

I have been looking at the water bladders that fit between the wheel wells of a pickup. The idea is to add weight for slippery winter roads.
They are only designed for "non-potable" water, but I can't imagine why they couldn't be cleaned for use with drinking water? Just not long-term storage, but transport back to camp and then empty into a clean barrel.
Also, the bladder would ride nicely in a standard van, too.
Anyone have any experience with these?

GoneCamper said:
 . . .
I have been looking at the water bladders that fit between the wheel wells of a pickup. The idea is to add weight for slippery winter roads.
They are only designed for "non-potable" water, but I can't imagine why they couldn't be cleaned for use with drinking water? 

I have used a twin bed blow up mattress to add water weight in winter.  Cheap - I buy them at a thrift store, fit nicely in an 8' bed, have to scrunch it up a bit for a 6.5' bed.  Put water in evening, frozen solid by AM; then it won't slosh around while driving.  If it gets a hole in it, just self drains in the spring.

As to plastic containers labeled 'non-potable': the main difference is the chemicals used in manufacturing are not safe for human consumption.  They are impregnated throughout the structure of the plastic and can slowly leach out.  I don't know anything that will clean them enough to be ensure safety.

-- Spiff

Most water bladders aren't for potable water more than for a single short-term use. The problem is that you can't dry them out, and you can't clean them out, and stuff grows inside. The WaterBOB is cheap enough ($21), but you need a rigid container for it, even when filled in place. It's intended for emergency water storage (like when you know a hurricane is coming), and you fill and store it in a bathtub. When the situation is over, you empty it and toss it.

WaterBOB: https://www.amazon.com/WaterBOB-Emergency-Drinking-Storage-Gallons/dp/B001AXLUX2

Spaceman Spiff said:

As to plastic containers labeled 'non-potable': the main difference is the chemicals used in manufacturing are not safe for human consumption.  They are impregnated throughout the structure of the plastic and can slowly leach out.  I don't know anything that will clean them enough to be ensure safety.

-- Spiff

I haven't done that, but I described in another thread the problem I was having with my potable water system in my truck. In short, there was a very bad chemical taste and smell in the water. I know for a fact that the plastic jerry cans, spigot, and the water itself were fine. The culprit turned out to be the clear 3/8" vinyl tubing that I used to connect it all up. The smell mostly and the taste of the water were so bad that I couldn't use it for long. I replaced the tubing with the right kind of tubing and the problem disappeared immediately.

If that's the level of toxicity that I got from 6 feet of the wrong vinyl tubing, what do you think you would get from the wrong water bladder? Staggers the imagination.

Tom

Nemo said:
I believe that in AZ is is a legal requirement that you have access to the property.. be it through easements or an established trail/road, you cant be denied access.

Nope, that is not true plenty of landlocked parcels in Arizona.
You must have a registered right of way easement.
You can be denied access. That even applies to federal and state property, if the only access is through private land.