Bring out your cooks! Van/RV setups

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEXpat

Reaction score
Hi all. Love this community and can't wait to join you all on the road. Long journey to get there for me, but it IS going to happen. 

Question:

I love cooking. Food and the outdoors is what I have dreamed about for decades; ever since dad took me to Yosemite where I woke up to the smell of bacon and coffee at nine years old. That dream is about to happen just before 50. 

Are you a foodie and cook like me? Please share your galley, your tips, your links, videos or anything else that can help me decide on a rig setup so that I can get out into the woods and make some great food as I watch and listen to this wonderful earth do what it does best. I'm also interested in foraging, hunting, fishing, trapping, eco-villages, co-ops, and outdoor cooking groups. 

Peace and bacon to all,
Mike

2018 can't come soon enough for you eh!

I never thought of myself as a 'foodie' but I guess I am...I love great food, expect to eat it all the time, detest fast food and the lowest I'll bend is to open a can of beans to dress up when I don't feel like cooking (maybe 1ce a month...lol)

I'm on the road full-time so a kitchen that was workable was a very important part of my build. I have the complete overhead storage above the drivers compartment in the high top devoted to pots/pans - I brought my good set along, dishes, plastic ware etc.

I built a 5 drawer pantry right behind the drivers seat. I chose drawers because, while shelves are easier to build, everything you want is always at the back. The drawer heights were determined by measuring stuff in the kitchen like the EVO bottle...lol.

The kitchen counter is 40" long...not huge but workable and still allowed me to put in the twin bed where I wanted it. I have a single RV sink and use the piece of countertop that was cut out for the sink to cover it up to add more flat space. I didn't put in a pump and running water. I use water out of gallon jugs. I find it allows me to use less water and I don't have to lug big jugs nor find space under the counter for them.

I also end up carefully using other surfaces in the van for putting things on when I'm cooking. Even the bed has seen it's use!

I use a 1 burner butane stove IN the van. I have a 2 burner propane for outdoor use. I like the butane because I can move the stove out of the way if I'm prepping something where I need more counter space. With some experience of cooking on a single burner out in the wild (canoe tripping etc), I find that I can still do a full meal on the one burner by letting things sit in a cozy instead of simmering on the stove....it also uses less fuel.

I have 2 Whynter 65 Qt units, one set up as a freezer, one as a fridge. This allows me to choose *what* I want for dinner instead of having to fix whatever is going to spoil first. I also get to buy meat while on sale and I don't have to shop at the butcher counter buying 1 of this and one of that. It also means that it's not a problem inviting company on an impromptu basis, there's always something in there with enough for 4... :D 

Outdoor cooking is done on a 5' folding table and the 2 burner propane stove although I can always haul out the butane and have 3 burners if needed. Heck I carry my Trangia backpacking stove as well so I could go to 4 burners if needed. I also carry one of those round water grills. I prefer a real barbecue but it packs so small  I quit carrying a portabe barbecue. It was taking up too much room.

Link to the build is in my signature and Bob did a video which I  hope is going to be back up soon!!

Yea, I guess you can say I'm a foodie..... :D :D :D :rolleyes:

Hi Mike,

A fellow foodie ? :). I am also in the process of transitioning from home to Van. I can't wait to hit the road and be free.

I went to culinary school and worked briefly in a few restaurants. That field was not for me I think it was a mid life crisis moment lol.

I still love cooking and plan on starting a YouTube how to on cooking more gourmet meals, healthy meals. I studied mostly Italiano and Chinese dishes.

Just starting to insulate the van and once the van is done I will start uploading some vids.

Jaco

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A few years ago on another message board an online friend of mine who lives in California talked about the nomadic life and making a living with food.  We came up with several ideas but she liked the idea of a food truck that towed  a larger (stealth trailer).   The truck being the tow vehicle and kitchen.

This girl's grandmother had been a bit of a nomad who was a performer with the Circus when before she married and settled down in her late 20's.   One of the things her grandmother did was work helping the cooks and learning how they managed their kitchen.  The key to their operation was to clean out and dispose of everything before moving and when arriving in a new town they made a point of buying everything fresh at one of the well known grocery stores there.  We hit on the idea of a used Bread delivery truck that could tow a small camper trailer.   The trailer could be detached and left at a camp ground while the truck is driven to work an area and make some money for a few hours a day.  

So,  I'm not sure how to adapt a food truck concept to nomadic travel (state & local license etc)  but a person could cook their way across the country in this manner.  

As a micro,  I could see making "corn dogs"  and selling cold cans of pop for quick money to travel with. 

But this is just a thought.

I went a little different route.  My kitchen counter is a Camp Chef portable kitchen.  I just built a stand for it to be inserted in.  I can cook sitting inside or rotate it and cook standing outside or even completely remove it and put on the ground (has telescopic legs).  I have done away with the canvas bags it came with.  It stores my fry pan, sauce pan, CanCooker Jr, stove, cooking and eating utensils, plates, thermos.  I have a 3 drawer unit on the wall behind it for food storage and the fridge is located just below it.  Everything's easily accessible as I sit on a rotating padded bucket seat.  It also stores additional food such as a bag of potatoes.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 85
Food storage and fridge. The wall next to the kitchen counter now has a paper towel holder, fire extinguisher, smoke alarm and pot holder hook. Near future it will also have a spice rack on it.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
Rotating, padded seat bucket that serves other purposes too :)
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 50
Spice rack soon to be added.
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 41
I'm a BIG guy...........and I Love to cook as much as I like to eat ! .........."Let the FAT guy cook......at least you won't go hungry"........ I have camped and cooked as a group of vanners in the 70-80's

I'm still building my van but the design is different than most on here....................I have a CHUCKWAGON design

Just like the wagontrain of olde ..................I placed my "cook shack" at the rear of the van.........open the doors and (under-the-bed) a slide-out shelf holds the camp stove and cookware........above the shelf is an enclosed pantry spanning the width of the van just below the rear windows.......... I can still see out the rear windows while driving........the refer sits inside behind the driver seat

I don't do stealth so the outdoor camping kitchen works for me..............I'll have a awning for inclement weather

I  have to leave my big smoker behind :huh: but will have to find a way to "smoke" on the road

I like to "Pickle".......Not cukes but PEPPERS!!!!!     I plan on continuing to make my refrigerator pickled peppers on-the-road .......Hot or not makes no difference to me..........at home I grew all my favorites......My friends fight over the remains-of-the-jar....I'll be looking for the local/native varieties  to try from the produce stands..........and share with the tribe

I've never used those tin camp stove ovens but will have to try............My first post on CRVL was to mention PIE IRONS........mmmmmmmm! I just bought a new Rome pie iron for the van.

I always carry too much stuff...........I like MY stuff..........I can't seem to let go of my cooking knives?!...........Well I'm taking them ALL and plan to "gift" the extras to the tribe as needed...............

I'll also be packing a folding OMLETTE PAN...........a small Hot/Crock pot ............and a wire "vegie" basket...............etc

I'm also known as AsbestosMan for my propensity to handle a HOT grill...............SO the welding gloves (and bandaids!) are located in the Kitchen

doug

dang abnorm, are you going to RTR? if you are can you park by me? lol. sounds great. highdesertranger

Almost There and abnorm would you please tell us some of your favorite dishes? No need to write out entire recipes, just some basic ideas would be good because I'm always looking for easy meals that use fresh ingredients.

Hey Tony and Karen

I'm still in the S&B but I was pondering the "Holiday" meal......what do you fix at camp ? I guess I'd GRILL a fancy protein and a favorite side

My favorite family side would have to be German Potato Salad

Stir sliced Boiled potatoes with.....Cast iron fried onions and bacon......(some) Bacon fat with vinegar-sauce (slightly sweetened).....served warm

In the CamperPieRecipeSection........I just cooked/cleaned and oiled the new iron(s)....they ship with a wax coating

This week my first test Pie was a SloppyJoe........Two slices of Potato Bread (white bread)........No butter just non-stick spray coating........a small spoon of prepared ground beef and Manwich........chopped onion and shredded cheddar cheese........CLOSE the irons and fire............I used the gas burner in the kitchen..............Perfect !!

Inthetestkitchen......I'm still working on the "Mexican" pie with tortilla ........gotta find the right "skins" for on the fire

In the Make-It-Up-As-You-Go section.............. It's got to be Stuffed Mac N' Cheese

Boil the pasta till tender ..........Add whatever cheese you have available (a little Velvetta keeps any cheese from getting gritty).......Stir whatever chopped leftover veg or protein you have in the frig 

Remember to TASTE and season to your liking......doug

tonyandkaren said:
Almost There and abnorm would you please tell us some of your favorite dishes? No need to write out entire recipes, just some basic ideas would be good because I'm always looking for easy meals that use fresh ingredients.

I do a lot of stir fries Karen. They're easy, use one pan mostly. I use lots of fresh veggies and meat and I can portion cook for one with them. Fresh ginger and fresh garlic cloves as well as Sesame Seed Oil are some of the tricks to getting the taste up there although not all recipes require those come to think of it...don't put it in ham/raisin... :D

I have so many stir fry recipes - they range from ham with raisins, broccoli and carrots to shrimp to chicken ...well you get the picture. Yummm...chicken and sweet potatoes. Even eggs with peameal bacon and peas.

They can be served over rice of any kind - I like mixing brown with wild rice. Because a single cooking of rice yields 3 or 4 servings, I zip lock the extra in single serving size and throw them in the freezer. I use the steamer basket to re heat the rice and it only takes a minute or three. Some are meals unto themselves which I like cause then there is really only one pan to wash... :D :D

Tonight I had a big tossed salad with Lime Vinaigrette dressing and some wild salmon seasoned with dill and thyme. I'd prefer fresh herbs but make do with the dry stuff when it's just me.

Almost There said:
2018 can't come soon enough for you eh!

I never thought of myself as a 'foodie' but I guess I am...I love great food

Love your post. I've seen your wonderful setup on Enigmatic. I remember it because you had two huge fridges. It wasn't the big fridges but the idea of using one for freezing and the other for daily stuff. 

If I had an extended van, could I fit two such fridges in it. Or maybe, as Bob has done, do you think hauling a trailer into BLM land (not so far) would allow me to get out far enough away from people so that I could be alone, have a fire pit, and cook?

Jaco said:
Hi Mike,

A fellow foodie ? :). I am also in the process of transitioning from home to Van. I can't wait to hit the road and be free.

I would love to see your videos. Please Buddy me so I can follow you. I'm really interested in meeting all the foodies in the community. 

Mike

eDJ_ said:
The truck being the tow vehicle and kitchen
Most of my family ran food trucks in Orange County while I was growing up. I was a kid driving with them. But driving them cross country is not something I want to do. I might set up a trailer at a flea market, fair, or tailgate party. 
Jalapeno poppers in a paper sock with toothpicks or something.
Mike

BobBski said:
I went a little different route.  My kitchen counter is a Camp Chef portable kitchen.  I just built a stand for it to be inserted in.  I can cook sitting inside or rotate it and cook standing outside or even completely remove it and put on the ground (has telescopic legs).  I have done away with the canvas bags it came with.  It stores my fry pan, sauce pan, CanCooker Jr, stove, cooking and eating utensils, plates, thermos.  I have a 3 drawer unit on the wall behind it for food storage and the fridge is located just below it.  Everything's easily accessible as I sit on a rotating padded bucket seat.  It also stores additional food such as a bag of potatoes.

Hey BobBski,

Pretty nice setup you there. Do you cook outside mostly? I don't really want to boil and fry inside of my van due to moisture and oil build up. What do you think? I really like the CampChef oven. Do you have one?

Mike

abnorm said:
I'm a BIG guy...........and I Love to cook as much as I like to eat ! 
Ohhhhh Doug. Amen. You said so many things that made the little kid cook at christmas wanna jump up and say Hal I knew ya. You know. One of my biggest problems is not bringing my "stuff." Damn. How can you cook good shit if you don't have your stuff? It's gonna kill me. 
OK. Let's narrow this down. What are the absolute necessities. You know, minimalist hobo style so we can cook. Damn I hate asking this question.
Mike
PS: I already know I'm gonna need to tow a cargo trailer.

Latest posts