Brake lights

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary68

Reaction score
VirlVI7.jpg

1977 all there is are those outside lights that get brighter when you push on the brake

so i was thinking how much i dont like being rear ended and thought about wiring those center three markerlight to be brake lights and have some questions

1-think those little push in marker light bulbs could handle the brake light voltage?

2-would brake lights 8 feet in the air even be of any use?

I went the other direction. Since Express/Savanna brake lights are kind of high, maybe out of a car driver's lign of sight, I mounted a light down on the bumper.

But the existing lights on your rig have gotten it through its life so far, right? So maybe it's not a problem. But it wouldn't hurt to try it out.

Old housings like that can use LEDs and then one does not have to worry about the wiring being too thin. With simple parabolic reflectors behing the red lens, the LEDs should work OK. it is the newer signal housings with dimpled reflectors, that reflect the filamnet from each dimple visible from every angle, that LEDS will likely not work properly in.

BUy red LEDs though, white LEDS will look pink.

I mounted a third brake light up higher on my fiberglass TV top roof. I hated how when braking and turning using turn signal, there was effectively only one brake light.

I had to run a new wire back to my brake light switch by brake pedal. Tapping into nearby wires would have the 3rd brake light come on with the turn signals.

I still watch my mirrors for those self important hyper distracted nitwits texting behind me. I doubt 1000 watts of red LED aimed at their eyes would do any good though.

When I made a new headlight wiring harness usinging original wiring to trigger relays, about 110 watts less current was forced through the too thin wiring and original headlamp switch. As a result of this all the other signal lights get more voltage and are brighter.

I use some 1157 red LEDs and they have enought difference between running and signal light in my reflectors to be an upgrade.

3196 incandescent bulbs are about 20% brighter than 1157's on the brighter filament. My LEDs are as bright as the 3196, and a darker red.

LEDs also have no rise time, meaning they are full brightness instantly, unlike incandescents which take a while to get to full brightness, and this delay is also hampered by lower voltage caused by long thin 1977 wiring.

Whatever 'dual filament' LEDS are chosen for turn signal fixtures should be tested to see that there is enought brightness difference between running and braking/turnsignal filaments.

I'd link the ones I used but I can no longer find them. They use something like 15 5730 red LED chipsets, and consume about .12 amps on running light and 0.56 amps on braking/signal.

1157's are whats in them now,think i'll give the led's a try

my wiring harness is up around the ceiling so wiring the 3 markers would be easy but being so high i dont think you could see them from a car
maybe get a led light bar and wire it in the center down low?

on a old 2 lane hwy they are doing construction,traffic got backed up and when we released everyone went batshit crazy,saw 2 cars in my rear view sliding up sideways behind me when someone 10 cars ahead stopped

I bought some 1157 led bulbs to replace my brake lights and the individual led elements started to fail after a few months ,,,(don't go to Walmart !!!!!!!)

No matter how much you try to prepare for it ,,,,,you still can't fix stupid.
I'd just beef up the bumper with a piece of well casing pipe. ;)

(Plus , if you cap off the ends it can be a nifty tank for some compressed air???)

the problem I see is then you will loose your marker lights which legally must be there and working. by far I believe the best thing to do is add a third brake light and as someone else pointed out you must run a wire all the way to the brake light switch but you basically have to run a new wire no matter what you do. highdesertranger

adding new lights it is,went out and looked at it and cant center a single up but could add a 1'x4"or so above each tail light
realized it 97 degrees and came back inside to mid 70's,thanks giant spruce

There are some legal considerations concerning brake lights. Technically putting LEDs into incandescent signal housings is illegal. If insurers and lawyers become involved at some point and it is revealed that such bulbs were installed.............

Pulsing and strobing brake lights is illegal. The center mounted third brake light also has some rules it must follow. I am not sure it is legal to have 4 brake lights. It might just be the two main ones and the center mounted third light.

Enforcement is another matter, but I think it wise to not attract attention from enforcement, while making oneself visible to all behind.

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108

Good voltage delivered to new 1157 or 3196 Incandescent bulbs with shiny reflectors and unclouded clean lenses is pretty darn bright.

People are going to do what they want regarding vehicular lighting, safe or not, legal or not, wise or unbelievably stupid.

Do not assume that anything new or with the letters LED in the description, is an Upgrade. I tried some Amber LEDs in my turn signals that would have been horribly unwise to employ. but I really really wanted my 25$ spent to be an upgrade, but they were NOT, and it took a while to allow myself to acknowledge my purchase was a complete waste of money and to return the incandescents.

Phillips makes some signal light LEDS that are tested to work properly, in a very few vehicles, but at least their build quality is high. but they are not cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-1157-Intense-Vision-light/dp/B00P2D415K

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-1157...=1498455878&sr=1-2&keywords=phillips+1157+led

One other consideration with LEDS in place of incandescent, is LEDS get dimmer when they heat up. On a side by side comparison the LED might appear to be brighter when still cool, but hold the brake light down for 5 minutes, like one might do in traffic and the LED could very well be dimmer than the INcandescent.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/03/piston-slap-traversing-world-led-retrofit-bulbs/

Be objective when installing LED bulbs in incandescent signal housings, View them from all angles, and insure that there is enogh brightness difference between the dimmer and brighter filament, and recheck the LEDS for failures every so often.

after checking out the market and seeing whats what i decided on a full upgrade to something like
this

47-84-005.jpg

https://trailerparts.com/bargman-47-84-005-taillight.html?gclid=CPKzzKj32tQCFRaTfgodVCsDug

would separate the running/brake and turn signal lights but since i dont have the $100 to blow at the moment i will just get my backup lights working and live with what i have,they do have 3 way incandescent for cheaper,will need to make a decision before i build my walls which is a few projects away

thanks for the knowledge