Boondocking Etiquette

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In some Asian countries it is considered common courtesy to sit at the same table when in an empty restaurant. The first time this happen to me I was a little put back but realized that they were merely keeping me company even if nothing more then a nod and a smile were exchanged. They didn't want me to eat alone. A few times here NZ I noticed some Europeans, seem to have a different sense of space. It may be human nature but I think it could be a cultural thing or where you live most of the time, I think if you take the subway all the time you get a different sense of personal space then if you live in the country. Also I think some people like to engage with others and the only way to do that is to get close. I know how annoying that can be though if you have been camped by yourself and someone moves in a few feet from you back door and starts banging pots and pans. I remember once a young women travelling alone did this to us at first I was annoyed but after a little reflection, I think she felt a little more secure around us then being out by herself.

blossmgirl said:
You know, I thinking this parking on top of others must be in human nature.

I think that is partly right, but culture also plays a part in it. How often do we hear about the dangers of being alone in deserted places after dark? Also, many people are so used to being crammed together in apartments, RV parks and such that they are used to 'tuning out' the annoying noise from neighbors and take comfort in knowing that there are other people around. When camping, it is natural for these folks to have a 'circle the wagons' mentality that leads them to camp too close to people who want solitude.

blossmgirl said:
I have noticed repeatedly that if I go into a deserted restaurant to eat or surf, people HAVE to sit near me when they come in instead of in one of the other 30 empty tables!

I have noticed a funny thing about this. When I go into a restaurant, I usually bring a book rather than a computer, and people seem to leave me alone even if there are a moderate number of customers. When I bring a computer instead of a book, others always seem to sit near me even if the place is mostly empty. Might be the early training by old school librarians, but for some reason an actual book seems to signal 'leave me alone' :D

blossmgirl said:
You know, I thinking this parking on top of others must be in human nature. I haven't had that exact experience (yet!) but I have noticed repeatedly that if I go into a deserted restaurant to eat or surf, people HAVE to sit near me when they come in instead of in one of the other 30 empty tables! It annoys me to no end. I've experimented with this so I believe there's something to it. And yes, I make sure not to do this when I enter a deserted restaurant and there's one lone diner way off in the corner.

I approach this from the complete opposite direction. Whenever or wherever I go to have a cuppa or meal, I always look for a lone diner, ask politely if they would like company, and if the response is positive, join them.

Never approach someone who is reading, busy on the computer or in some other way engaged. Never sit with or near them, without permission. It is the way I have learned a lot about the locals wherever I happen to be.

I like to learn the culture of different localities, wherever I travel, and find this as one of the best ways to engage with the locals. Works best away from fast food type places, though I have had many a wonderful meal with a driver at truck stops.

Lifey

We don't mind if someone asks to join us. Have learned some interesting info, especially from locals. Sometimes its a lonely traveler looking for a little companionship. Been there myself.

"Well you walk into a restaurant all strung out from the road
And you feel the eyes upon you as you're shaking off the cold
You pretend it doesn't bother you, but you just want to explode..."
Bob Seger (as if I needed to tell you)

one time long ago I went camping, (tent), park was almost vacant---100's of spots---a jerk decided to set up next to me-loud music(noise) i asked him to turn it down---I want peace & quiet--next morning after a night of no sleep-I went to office & complained ,,about 10 minutes ranger was there--had a nice talk with guy-called me over---to confirm i had asked him to quiet it down---told the guy to appologise straighten up---or be banned from this campground---sometimes this is what is needed to happen. this is why i bought farm land 24 miles from no where---I can camp out & not be bothered by some Jerk.,see the stars @ night-this is what boondocking is mostly about,
---ask me,, if I want company,, if you want to park beside me,when there are 100's of spots. I'm NOT antisocial, sometimes people want peace & quiet.
sparky1 & the Bob Tail cat.

For many years I haven't understood the modern 'RVing' phenomena. I mean, spend $100k+ on a self propelled so you can go park next to others in an RV park with hundreds of others? Meh, when I go to the woods I'm looking for a nice quiet secluded spot to get some alone time in. Forget about the price I see for some of the RVs that come thru town, I know I see many in the $250k + category every year, and paying $40+ a night to stay in them, not to mention gas. Completely different people than I expect to meet on this site.

lonfu said:
why so many millions of folks would want to live next to each other in cities yet not want to talk to each other. Then they want to leave to go to the country to get away from each other to camp right next to each other............

Yup, prolly the same reason folks live in isolation in sterile suburbs but enjoy visiting make-believe places like Disney World's quaint 'Main Street USA'.

Scar said:
Completely different people than I expect to meet on this site.

Me too, expect so anyway.

Life is a status symbol, Bigger is better (NOT) what country has the tallest Building.
I worked hard & saved for years,no family,what I do with the funds makes me happy, whether i'm in one of my "old vans" boondocking or towing My 13 ft Casita or maybe I just want to take the 35 ft Bounder Motorhome with everything (I didn't change) I'm still sparky1.

After 11 months of van dwelling....I like being social! When I went to Bob's Thanksgiving I parked a little bit distant from camp because I listen to music and I am deaf in one ear so I don't want to disturb anyone. I liked saying "Hello" to someone in the morning while I walked my dog. It was nice to know that I had comrades' just a short distance from where I was camping. I liked the experience. I get 'itchy feet' when parked in the middle of nowhere after a few days because of the lack of human contact. I go into town and look for conversation. I like to meet new people and have a little conversation. I think that if I were to say there is one negative aspect to this life, it is the solitude. But "Please don't park nest to me!" Hahaha!!