BLM reorganizing ...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at the 2 maps on the 2nd link, the first indicates there is actually relatively small BLM land area in AZ, and it's largely concentrated between Quartzsite and Yuma. And secondly, they are moving 39 more personnel into AZ.

In comparison, they're moving 49 personnel into NV, which has 4 times the BLM acreage. Interesting, FWIW.

It is very common and therefore predictable that in January budgets and personnel allocations are likely to see a change. New Year's day means- in with the new budget and sometimes new people too and out with the old.

maki2 said:
It is very common and therefore predictable that in January budgets and personnel allocations are likely to see a change.  New Year's day means- in with the new budget and sometimes new people too and out with the old.
This is a major overhaul. Moving BLM HQ to Grand Junction from DC, and distributing many personnel to local "state" offices. There may be more BLM people buzzing around Quartzsite. Maybe.

The articles indicate some people will choose to stay in DC, eastern cityfied folk, but that means some people who already live in the west will get new jobs. Win-win, wouldn't want eastern city folk being forced into unpleasant situations with no smog, wide open spaces,  and blue skies after all, :).

Not just the average eastern city folk, but denizens of the Swamp on the Potomac.
They always know what is best for flyover country.

Did you see who else has offices in the office building that BLM has chosen? Chevron for one. Maybe Grand Junction does not have that much available office space suitable for civil servants. Convenient for lobbying in the lobby.

The idea of anyone lobbying to a bunch of folks who make a living trying to manage a herd of cowboys gives me the giggles. Not sure anyone can herd a cowboy except a trail boss by saying if they lose a cow they won't get any supper or spending money.

Very clever. Think of all those ranches that they discovered oil on. Sometimes the cowboys find their lost cows lying belly up, drowned in a pool of oil (JK). Actually, the article says ...

"the 245 million acres of surface area the BLM manages. The BLM also manages 700 million acres of subsurface mineral estate for the nation".

When I was looking at retiring, Grand Junction was one of about 20 towns and small cities west of the 110th Meridian that I looked at. However, the place had become a boomtown because of the energy industry, so was of no interest to me. Small wonder BLM is relocating their HQ there.

https://www.gjep.org/key-industries/energy-renewables/
"The area’s ample supply of natural resources has attracted major players like Chevron, Exxon Mobil and Halliburton, numerous related suppliers, ....
With an industry cluster that encompasses oil and natural gas, solar and wind power, and a growing technology community, the Grand Valley truly offers 360 degrees of energy".

I suppose the fieldwork increases quite a bit from time to time. It reminds me of the depression when everyone became a salesperson working on comission, produce results or starve. Glad I'm not a salesperson.  -crofter

I’m 125 miles from Grand Junction, that access is not a bad thing. The forces ending oil production should mean a bright future for the Town, the largest in Western Colorado.

FWIW the BLM land adjacent to the current office is trashed.

Grand Junction still has a little of the cowboy/farm culture with most of the population working in energy fields so most the population is used to using the land to make money not so much preservation. A couple hospitals as well as a VA hospital, a small university and several parks all around it. Lots of government jobs as well already.