BLM land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vleolynn

Reaction score
When camping on BLM land I know it's a 14-day stay now is that out of a month and then you can go back to that place in a month

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rules vary by district, but 14 days then move 25 miles and can move back after 14 days away is common. Check the blm.gov web page or ask at an office if in question.

blars is right. it's by district. so after 14 days you move to another district. it varies by district how long you must be gone. highdesertranger

I very rarely boondock in one place very long because I'm the antsy type. Right now I'm moving around in the southeast California/southwest Arizona deserts. Three days here, four days there, two days back at the first place, three days at a new place, back to the second place for four days... I do that all winter, with occasional side trips farther away. I don't bother keeping track of my total time in a ranger district and I've never been confronted about it. They get concerned when it looks like you're squatting, particularly in high-use areas.

I've boondocked on a particular BLM spot max 49 days in one spot. I asked other campers about the 14 day limit and was informed that the Ranger didn't bother you unless others complained. It was "don't ask, don't tell". And no, I won't tell you where it was, except that it was very close to a metropolitan area.
Ted

I'm headed for southern Calif.  and western AZ right now.  Can you tell me some good places to spend 10 days or so?

Tulsatraveler said:
I'm headed for southern Calif.  and western AZ right now.  Can you tell me some good places to spend 10 days or so?

In California, east of the dunes, there's the area along Ogilby Road, north of the train tracks. American Girl Mine Roadd is just a little north of the tracks (look for the right turn lane) is good but there are other areas farther north, too. Some people spend the entire winter there.

There's more BLM land on the CA side of the Colorado, west of Parker AZ. The CRVL caravans are in the area.

Over on the Arizona side, north of the airport in Lake Havasu City is the road into Craggy Wash. You'll see a bunch of people camped a mile or so back, but there are more good places farther along.

South of Lake Havasu City you'll see some large areas on the east side of the highway.

A couple of miles south of Parker, on the east side of the highway, is Shea Road. It's private land for about three or four miles, but then you get to BLM areas.

There are several dispersed camping areas at Quartzsite. They require getting a free 14-day permit from the camp hosts. Farthest north is Plamosa Road. If you continue on Plamosa over the mountains, there's more boondocking in a different ranger district. Between Plamosa and town, near a big cell tower and the waste transfer station, is Hi Jolly. East of town, along Kuehn Street is the Scaddan Wash area. West of town is the Dome Rock area. South of town, at the junction of La Paz Valley Road, is Roadrunner. 

From La Paz Valley Rd to the Border Patrol checkpoint is a whole bunch of BLM land that doesn't require a permit. Look for roads or just smooth transitions from the highway to the desert. Palm Canyon and King Valley roads lead to some good spots.