BLM Land Sites to Stay

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonricher

Reaction score
A couple questions about BLM Land

Does it cost to stay on BlM land?

Can you stay at any BLM land site?

How long can you stay?

Do you stay in groups orsolo on BLM sites or both.

Do you need to notify BLM of where your staying or register with them?

Is the links to all the BLM locations? Link, app, book?

Are the any amenities likes shower, pottites at any of these? I doubt it.

Length of stay at BLM rules?

Are guns allowed on BLM and the rules for them?

Am I missing anything

1. You'll get better results if you ask your questions individually.

2. The BLM website will answer all of your questions, and you can go back and review and cross reference as much as you like.

The Dire Wolfess

Unfortunately the BLM website has broken links so it's hard to find information. Check their site first - https://www.blm.gov/visit/search/9/0/0/1
Then paste a campsite name into a site such as freecampsites-  https://freecampsites.net/  to get more information.

To answer some of your questions:

Camping is usually free but there are pay campgrounds with a few amenities such as vault toilets and tables. There are other exceptions such as the Long Term Visitor Areas in Arizona and California which have a seasonal fee.

You can stay on BLM land but there are a few exceptions.

Stay is 14 days except at the Long Term Areas.

People camp solo or in groups. Large groups may need a permit.

Most BLM sites do not require registration. The area around Quartzsite does.

I will try,

1. at some BLM campgrounds there is a fee at others no. the BLM operates LTVA's(Long Term Visitor Areas). there is a fee for the LTVA's 180 bucks for 6 months for the winter ones and I am not sure the fee for the summer ones.

2. for the most part you can stay anywhere on BLM land. there are a few exceptions.

3. most of the time there is a 14 day limit, then you must move. different districts determine how far you must move.

4. you can stay in groups or solo it's up to you. groups must not exceed 70 people if they do you need a permit.

5. the only time you need to register is if you are in a developed campground or a LTVA or in a group of more than 70. no need to tell them where you are unless one of the above.

6. there are web sites for each district. you must realize the BLM covers millions of acres. about 70% of Nevada is BLM land. get out and explore, you will learn.

7. I have never seen showers at any BLM facility. a few of the campgrounds have running water.

8. length of stay already covered.

9. yes guns are allowed. you must follow the BLM rules and the rules of the state you are in.

10. dang that was a lot of questions. if you need clarification or anymore info please ask one or two at a time. once you camp on BLM awhile you will get the hang of it. the RTR is a great place to learn about the BLM. the camp is on BLM land, there are a couple of LTVA's close by and Rangers speak at one of the seminars. plan on being there you will learn a lot.

highdesertranger

There is also National Forest Service land that you can camp on. I’m on USFS land right now.

Every district has rules and not all rules apply at all places. A phone call to the BLM or USFS office in the area you want to camp can give you the local details. I always ask where the popular places to do dispersed camping is, and that information has always been timely and accurate when I get it from the local source.

Also
freecampsites.net
Will help you locate places to camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk