BLM considering restrictions on dispersed camping on fragile lands in Utah

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny flank

Reaction score
https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/07/04/dispersed-camping-utah/

Excerpt:

Improperly buried feces has become a big problem as more dispersed campers come to public lands, especially in the desert.

Human feces doesn’t decompose as quickly in arid conditions as it does in wetter environments, such as forests. If cat holes are too shallow or campers don’t carry their waste out, it can contaminate nearby water supplies and lead to unsanitary conditions. Plus, it’s gross.

“You don’t want to be camping near this,” Bryant said. “You don’t want to be experiencing this as part of your public lands, right? That’s not cool.”

People are doing other ignorant things, such as illegally driving off the road to find remote spots to camp. Bryant pointed at a tire rut that had crushed some plants.

“This is just resource damage,” she said. “The soils are compacted now. It’s harder for the plants to get in and grow.”

As always, it is a small handful of dickheads who cause the problem for all the rest of us.

:(

From what I have seen in more than a decade on the road, it is a rather large handful.

as the number of people "camping" grows so does the number of problem people.

I hope nobody is surprised by this. this is the exact reason I will not share spots on the internet. I have been burnt before by sharing locations. I will take friends to a location but I absolutely will not advertise it on the internet and I wish others would stop doing this. but alas some people found out that they can make money doing it.

highdesertranger

Wow

They actually bury it in Utah? We should be so lucky in the Rockies. Walk past the tree line much and you are likely to see toilet paper on the ground.

Is it a new thing since our movement has gained popularity? ummmm, I'd say not. Camping has always been popular. 30 years ago we had to go out mid week to beat the crowds. The abuse was no less back then.

Yep, stuff like this has been a problem in the backpacking community forever.

:(

Talked to a Sprinter couple who went to Moab/Arches area and they related that containment of waste is now obligatory in that area. Burial was no longer allowed.
Rangers were out and about asking all dispersed campers to show their waste containment storage as it was now obligated in the area.
1. Pack it in and pack it out.
2. Poop it in and pack it out.

To reduce the problem it's suggested that
1. Eat less
2. Hike more
;)

more people in the world, more problems seen in your face literally so as the population grows and the wilderness shrinks....do the math of it all :)

BLM and the forest service and other agencies are constantly considering new restriction and policies as use and impact changes. more use/impact and abuse will mean more restrictions.

avoid that if you want by going where no one else does. there is so much remote beautiful public land out here that is still very lightly restricted and almost never patrolled or enforced anyways. i will never get to experience it all in several lifetimes.

just go 10 miles or so east of the last rtr and you might as well be on mars. no crowds, minimal restrictions and if you get back off the highway a days ride i doubt you'll see many rangers