BLM and National Forest

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewolf

Reaction score
IDK, I'm getting a little giggle out of my movements lately. So it's BLM on the west side of the highway and National Forest on the east. So I'm just moving back and forth, a few miles in either direction. Am I obeying the 14 day limit or disobeying the spirit of the 14 day limit? HeeHee.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

some of the limits include a certain number of miles you must move. highdesertranger

It depends on the district BLM rules and which National Forest you are in. I believe generally it was 25 miles on BLM. You could probably just call their main offices and ask, but do you really want to know? Some National Parks have limits of not only how long but how many days per year which is rarely enforced and few people realize. There are areas I imagine what you are doing is perfectly fine as long as you don’t wear out your welcome by polluting the land.

There is a lot of variation between agencies. At AZ's Kofa Wildlife Refuge, managed by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, camping is limited to 14 days per *year.* (But at least they let you burn dead & down wood in campfires, which is becoming rare among federal agencies.)

What I have read from some is "14 days from the first visit of whomever is keeping track"

ymmv
ianal

BLM and NF are different jurisdictions.
Nothing I have read on either NF or BLM sites indicates they take into account the other's turf.
It is workable. Check the rules and regs in the local NF office and the local BLM office to make sure.
If called on it out in the field, don't argue it there.

The regs say "14 days", but it really is 13 nights that you can stay in each place.
The date that you arrive plus 13 is the date that you must leave.
The date you can return to a spot is that arrival date plus 29, the 29th day.

A problem you will have is that you need to find some over night spots to meet the 14 days in a 28 day period rule before returning to the first location. It is the 29th day that you can return.

Example:

First spot:
Arrive 07/02/20 (Return date is this date plus 29, 07/31/20)
Stay 13 nights
Leave 07/15/20

Second spot:
Arrive 07/15/20 (Return date is this date plus 29, 08/13/20)
Stay 13 nights
Leave 07/28/20

But 07/28 is too soon to return to the first spot.

You have to be somewhere else for three nights in each cycle.

An image of this in a spreadsheet is attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-03_01-58-20.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-03_01-58-20.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 11
This reminds me of the time I was boondocking near Grand Teton NP. A Forest Service ranger stopped by to inform me I was about six feet inside the park, which didn't allow dispersed camping. He said HE didn't care I was there, but the Park Service rangers might want to make a stink. He pointed to a post and said it was where the National Forest started, and I'd be fine there.

As Mr. Noodly indicated, jurisdiction and enforcement predilection have a lot to do with what you'll experience!  In rural Texas, the letter of the law matters a lot less on an immediate, practical level than the mindset of the local Sheriff (for example).

Can ask.if you all are disperse camping?  
Or in self contained camping unit with a 10 gal. wastewater tank?