Blackpowder Handguns

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
I can hear a few people here already:  "Not ANOTHER gun thread!?"

Anyway, I got a sale flyer from Cabellas today and they had a couple of replica blackpowder sixguns on sale, which got me wondering.

Under Federal law, those things aren't even considered handguns.  You can still buy them mail order, and you can walk into any store where you happen to be and get one without a background check and without having to return to your home state to take delivery.

Now STATE laws may be all over the map.  The only state I'm familiar with is NY, who says that if you have one in your possession ALONG with the necessary powder, shot and caps to shoot it, it had better be listed on your pistol permit , (your CCW - here in NY all handguns are registered by serial # to your permit and you can't even OWN a handgun without having the NY permit) or you would be charged with illegal possession of a deadly weapon. 

BTW, this works out well for out of state Civil War re-enactors, who just leave the balls at home when they play dress up in NY.

This has me wondering how other states, particularly out west, treat em.  Could you carry one loaded if you didn't have a valid CCW for a particular state?

Anyone with any actual knowledge of how other states deal with them, please put up a post.  Maybe we'll all learn something interesting.

Regards
John

I think the practicality is almost more pertinent than the legality.

Carrying around a black powder pistol all day? Heavier, clunkier, more susceptible to moisture and vibration.... are you really going to clean it and reload the cylinder every day? If not, you can't rely on it to fire the day you need it.

In my home state of Vermont no permit is required to carry a concealed weapon. I carried a handgun every day since I became of legal age. It was one of the large adjustments for me to give up when I began traveling in the van. I don't want to make myself vulnerable to forgetting one state law or another. I consider that more likely than ever having to use it.

730wgl.jpg
Big surprise, I do have several cap&ball revolvers.  Y'all expected that.  :D
I got my first one in 1976, from (I kid you not!) a local K-mart store!  I basically ruined it by overloading as the clerk kid knew as little as I did then and advised me very poorly!
Ten years later, I bought one by mail order, delivered to my home.  I still shoot it.  Both are brass framed so not as strong as the steel models.  Got another brasser in the mid 90's.
Just recently became heavily interested again, and have bought four more, all steel framed, so I can load a bit hotter. 
I have one steel framed Pietta Colt clone 1851 Navy fitted with a cartridge conversion cylinder, so I can use more modern ammo - this does make it have to conform to full Federal laws as it is now a 'firearm'.  But I can revert it back to BP any time.
Local laws here in north Florida are nice - no problems, and loading supplies are available.  Love the new Bass Pro!
These guns are amazingly accurate shooters, BUT I would not think of using one for self defense unless in an emergency - they just are not reliable enough. 
Besides some states regulating them and the black powder (I use a BP sub as the real stuff isn't locally available), many metro areas also have their own restrictions - likely any "big city".
Youtube has some really great videos of guys showing the care, loading and shooting of these guns, and many are using them in "Cowboy Action" competitions.  I am not to that level, just shooting for fun. 

Cleaning isn't that difficult as I use a BP Substitute called Hodgdon Triple Seven. Burns much cleaner than BP or Pyrodex, is much easier to clean out, and is nearly non-corrosive - I have gone three weeks before cleaning and had ZERO rust or corrosion. I am a believer in it.

Some of my newer revolvers:  (oops, it puts the pic up top for some silly reason)

I too have been into black powder for many years, except I shoot a Kentucky longrifle.

My buddy has quite a few BP pistols, (he's got ALOT of guns) and some of them shoot amazingly well.

I personally like flintlocks, so I can't see how this would make for any kind of daily personal protection...not to mention how to keep the darn thing loaded without spilling the good stuff out! :D

While I have had problems with the cap&ball revolvers if kept loaded more than a week, I have a cheapo inline muzzle loader rifle I used for hunting after it had sat loaded for three years.  It was with some trepidation I touched it off that first time just before our weeklong ML season.  It went BANG! perfectly well, and shot well as I sighted in the new scope.  But the rifles seal better that the hoglegs.  Kept dry BP can last a LONG time.

I have .45 auto handloads that I made back in 1977 that still fire with 100% reliability. Changing powder, keeping it dry, packing lead balls down the barrel, I just can't get it. For an occasional outing involving something different; maybe. For everyday use, forget it.

NAA made a BP version of their mini revolvers. And it can handle a 1gr load of a certain smokeless powder(according to owners manuals prior to the ATF saying they can't say that) while offering better external ballistics than 22lr.
Many times I've thought about picking one up but I never could find an info on concealing them in Colorado(Colorado permit is for handguns, doesn't cover non-firearms to any extent) open carry is fine.
I was also under the impression that like smokeless powder, once a can of powder is open you aren't supposed to transport it, now I doubt that would be enforced but...

Geez, wear ear plugs. Those things make more noise than a meteor impact. My son took one to a local indoor gun range and just about scared everyone in there to death. He was told to take it home.

Never heard of such a "transport" law.  There is a law in many places, maybe Federally(?) concerning how much by weight can be carried and stored.  There are also regulations about type of storage.
BP and smokeless are two different things.  BP is an "explosive" while smokeless is a propellant that burns, not explodes.
Both will attract water from the atmosphere.  "Hygroscopic", I think?  But in a sealed chamber or cartridge....  same-same.  Both types of powder can remain good for decades if properly stored.  I am still using some smokeless powder I bought twenty years ago.  Works fine.

gcal said:
Geez, wear ear plugs. Those things make more noise than a meteor impact. My son took one to a local indoor gun range and just about scared everyone in there to death. He was told to take it home.

I love this.  Guns should scare folks.  Find all this very fascinating.  As long as you do not blow yourself up.

I find the BP revolvers not nearly as loud as cartridge guns, including the rimfires.  That loud earsplitting CRACK! is far more damaging to hearing than the BP "BOOM".  And I don't load light.

I have a hawken rifle. I use to have a cheap Italian revolver. in fact I might still have it but I will never shoot it again. damn thing went off half cocked. highdesertanger

Latest posts