Blacking out windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doubleone said:
I used some black foam board to black out the skylight over the shower on my class C.   I like it dark when I sleep and parking lot lights are bothersome when we boondock.  I got it from a 99 cents store and it works as intended to block the light.  I used it horizontal with some aluminum C channel on each side to hold it up, but over time it bows down in the middle and warps.  I'm not sure if it's from heat or what little weight it has causing it to warp.  Easy to cut and shape with a razor knife, and super cheap to make.  I was considering remaking mine and laminating some reflectix to the outside; of the foam board.  It might give the reflectix some rigidity and maybe help the warping.
it is the nature of foam board to warp and wave. Truly not a long term viable choice for window coverings in an RV.

Here is the deal about keeping warm at night as regards widow coverings. Reflective materials do reflect radiant heat however you probably won't have enough heat being produced inside of the van while you are asleep for it to make much of a difference. This is why the person who said that using quilt filling type sheeting goods, polyester batting is as effective as Reflectix. If you were actively running a heater and keeping the interior quite warm that is when the reflective radiant barriers are more effective as there is some real heat to reflect back into the room.

So window coverings to keep you warm are best when made with layers, reflective facing the space, then behind that put some batting, then you can put a black fleece layer facing the glass for the privacy factor. That way when you have enough radiant heat being produced the reflective material does its job. When you go to bed and turn down or even turn off the heat the polyester batting layer still slows down the movement of heat out of the van just like the quilt over you slows down the migration of your body heat away from you.

Of course in the summer time during the day when the sun is shining on the windows you will reverse the coverings.

The best way to make window coverings is to make them with 3 layers, reflective + batting + black for stealth.

But there is a way to have only two layers to put together. Go to the fabric store and purchase a black quilted material. However the quilting does compress the polyester batting and the best insulation is when the batting layer is both thick and fluffy.

So instead of polyester fabric I use 4mm black EVA foam and a piece of reflective tarp for the shiny side layer. That gives me a 2 piece window covering that has some flex but also some stiffness while still being light in weight. Plus it is durable rather than fragile.

Wabbit said:
I am going to try some foam poster board from Walmart. Going with white. In fact someone just left for the store to go get it. I'll try to look for this thread after I have tried to get it cut to a window.

Dollar Tree has black foam poster board. Great for a temporary light block. If it gets wet though, the black paper covering will peel off. But for just 1$ per piece.

maki2 said:
it is the nature of foam board to warp and wave. Truly not a long term viable choice for window coverings in an RV.

Was intending to use 1/8" ABS (plastic) but that costs a whole bunch more.  Just couldn't overlook that 99 cent price, even if I have to remake it many times over...  It's been up there for a year, yes it's warped but still there doing it's job, and cash still in my pocket...   :)   Worst case, I'll replace it with ABS since the mount will accept either.

What I've been using for 2 years in my GMC cargo van is reflectix cut to the dimensions of the windows. There is a lip around each of the 4 windows in back that the reflectix slides in to, and which holds it perfectly well. Great for reflecting the summer sun.

Then, on one window which served as a test case, I glued some blackout curtain bought at Walmart to the reflectix using Scotch Super77 adhesive, also from Walmart. Been holding well for over a year. I can reverse the rig so the reflectix points outwards or the blackout curtain points outwards.

hipsterreplacement said:
They do make black foamcore. It's what I've been trying since I got some someone was going to throw out. Unfortunately, the pattern I made of the window by pressing butcher paper into it then tracing with a pencil was less that perfect. I think when I trim the edges that are too big, the ones that are too small are going to cause it all to fall out.

Foamcore is basically polystyrene sandwiched between paper. Paper can go moldy under the right conditions, but so can most things. There's a fungus for damned near everything.

As far as color, the black foamcore was perfectly stealth viewed from outside. I have a slight tint on my windows...not enough to not use window covers. The black foamcore was matte style so it didn't reflect light. If I could just get it cut to the right shape, it would be perfect for cover. Not sure how great it would be at any insulation, though.

I used wide heavy-duty foil to imbed the shape of my windows before cutting the shape and tracing onto reflectix. It worked quite well. If in doubt, cut it all just a little larger than your marks, then trim.

I bought some perforated vinyl wrap, for my work van windows. Its the same stuff advertisers use to wrap buses and still allow the passengers to see out the windows. If you use the same colour as the outside of the van, no one will be able to see in, it will look stock and still allow sunlight in and a view out.
I bought it in a roll from a vinyl sign guy, they usually have plenty of colours to match automotive applications. This summer (down in Oz) I'll be doing the same on my truck/motorhome windows.
Inside just use your usual covering, curtains or venetians etc.

I cannot in my wildest imagination think for a second that Reflectix (which I LOVE for REFLECTING THE SUN, thereby the heat IT produces) would Actually reflect Heat. (Like some mentioned: INSIDE a vehicle at night. While it's insulation properties are extremely minimal, from the puffy stuff inside, you might eek a little help from that in said scenario.)

It reflects LIGHT/SUN.. not "Heat". Heat slow down is merely a BiProduct of the Sun's LIGHT being Reflected.
What part of this is difficult?
Is it ME? Have I been in seriously ridiculously HOT Texas sun too long?? lol

I used Ottertex canvas fabric. There is a good youtube video where the guy made removable window covers using the fabric, reflectix and corrugated plastic. You could also use regular cardboard to save money instead of the corrugated plastic. Google "Reflectix Insulated Window Covers Inserts" video by "PSC Camper Conversions".

cherterr said:
I cannot in my wildest imagination think for a second that Reflectix would Actually reflect Heat.

You have, indeed been in Texas too long. Reflectix is specifically designed and made to reflect infrared light, which is one of the three ways that heat is transmitted. It is specifically designed to staple up to cover the air space between roof rafters (just look at the packaging) to reflect the infrared radiated heat coming from the underside of your roof. It reflects said heat back to the roof itself. And yes, that does make the roof hotter, but less heat reached the inside of your house.

We just happen to also use it to reflect visible light. That also reduces the heat coming in because visible light will heat surfaces too.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

crofter said:
Also keeps you warmer in winter, just like a space blanket.    ~crofter
Yup. I can definitely feel the difference at night. It's like I can feel my body heat being "sucked outta me" laying next to an uncovered window at night. When I remember to put up the Reflectix, it feels as if things just went up by five degrees.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Oh.. well... I guess I DID see those pics on the label.. lol.. it's just been so LONG ago (Stuff lasts for EVER). I stand corrected! :)

Thanks.

Limo tinting all the windows in my Honda except the front costs $150 I think it’s the he best money I spent on the van. I can sit there and watch the crowd walk by, I can see what’s happening outside yet you can not see inside....pretty awesome

Due to my impatience with putting something up, take down, repeat, or making something -I am getting limo tinting first thing! (And better stereo, subwoofer).

And some kind of black out between front and back....

Thing to do list is a bit long.

I just finished putting Reflectix in all the side and rear  (not the passenger and driver window) windows and there's a lot of them. It used to be a 15 passenger van.

I can feel a huge difference during the day when the sun's hitting them. At night, I can feel the heat from the factory dome lights reflecting inside the van. (I'm not going to use the dome lights once I'm finished working on it). Keep in mind that I'm in Florida and it's still hot but there's a difference inside at night without a doubt. 

To further beat this thread to death, does anyone know for a fact if a thin layer of cloth over the Reflectix on the inside of the van only will kill the heat reflective, retaining properties of it? I have a Wave 3 which produces radiant heat. I'm not concerned what happens to the heat when I'm sleeping and the heater's off. I have a zero degree sleeping bag.

I feel like I'm in a very big tuna can. It's all windows in there.

For now I'm not concerned what the windows look like from the outside. They're tinted so the Reflectix doesn't look overly obnoxious, especially at night.

I have other plans for more permanent window covers but that's on the back burner. I just want to be able to head on out of here in a couple months and just the Reflectix will do it for me..
Thanks

Just wanted to thank everyone who posted ideas. I purchased a roll of reflectix from Amazon, and a few sheets of black EVA foam from the local craft store. The reflectix works great in my windows for daytime, and the black EVA foam works perfectly for nighttime. I appreciate the input everyone gives, it helps me with the ins-and-outs of van life.

I bought blackout curtains from Walmart and I use bungie cords to stretch them over my windows. Because my window are tinted they are not noticeable. Cheap and easy.