Blacking out windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poot_traveller

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a material to black out van windows for privacy and stealth.  I plan to have reflectix one inch off the windows to slow down heat exchange and I need some type of thin material to put on the windows so the reflectix isn't visible from the outside. 

What's a good material for blacking out windows please?

Not a cheap method, but I had my windows limo tinted. Loved it! Occasionally, if the light was just right, the reflectix would show but not enough to draw attention. It really helped to keep it cooler and provided privacy during the day when I didn't have the reflectix in the windows.

permanent or temporary? in other words do you ever want to look out the window? highdesertranger

I simply covered one side of the reflex with black Gorilla tape which made it more durable and rigid. In cold weather put the black side out and it just looked like tint. In the summer open windows with screens at night required the reflex to be removed anyway. There is a louvered sun screen material in different colors usually white that might work.

I am going to try some foam poster board from Walmart. Going with white. In fact someone just left for the store to go get it. I'll try to look for this thread after I have tried to get it cut to a window.

bullfrog said:
I simply covered one side of the reflex with black Gorilla tape which made it more durable and rigid.  In cold weather put the black side out and it just looked like tint.  In the summer open windows with screens at night required the reflex to be removed anyway.  There is a louvered sun screen material in different colors usually white that might work.

Blacking out one side of reflectix will prevent it from deflecting cold temperatures during winter.

Wabbit said:
I am going to try some foam poster board from Walmart. Going with white. In fact someone just left for the store to go get it. I'll try to look for this thread after I have tried to get it cut to a window.

I'm not familiar with foam poster board but if condensation can make it go moldy then it's not a good material for the windows.

They do make black foamcore. It's what I've been trying since I got some someone was going to throw out. Unfortunately, the pattern I made of the window by pressing butcher paper into it then tracing with a pencil was less that perfect. I think when I trim the edges that are too big, the ones that are too small are going to cause it all to fall out.

Foamcore is basically polystyrene sandwiched between paper. Paper can go moldy under the right conditions, but so can most things. There's a fungus for damned near everything.

As far as color, the black foamcore was perfectly stealth viewed from outside. I have a slight tint on my windows...not enough to not use window covers. The black foamcore was matte style so it didn't reflect light. If I could just get it cut to the right shape, it would be perfect for cover. Not sure how great it would be at any insulation, though.

poot_traveller said:
Blacking out one side of reflectix will prevent it from deflecting cold temperatures during winter.

With the shiny side in and the black facing out, you get reflected heat from the inside.

poot_traveller said:

Reflectix won't 'deflect cold temperatures' anyways, it is a radiant heat barrier not an insulation material.

Spray painting has been suggested as well. I tried it and the paint I used flaked off within several uses leaving the reflectix unsightly AND not working well as a radiant heat barrier when I tried to use it for that purpose.

I've since given up using it in the windows. I have curtains that block most of the light entry, I never do stealth and I try my best to live in moderate temperatures. I use a heater when needed and don't worry about it getting too hot in here, I either leave windows open, run a fan or move.

i used plastidip. works great and looks like limo tint. plus, if you change your mind you can just peel it off.

I do not get the reflectix cult at all.
Fiberfill for pillows wrapped in cloth works a LOT better in our experience. (Deals with indoor rain better, too.)

Another idea you may want to try:
Go to a local decal shop/wrap shop.
They have a "pinholed" material you can see out of, but the people outside cannot see in.
Buses often use it.
They can color match your van. Lighter makes less heat from the sun...
Also, it looks like your vans paint...so no hassle from "limo tint" cops.

I don't have indoor rain and the reflectix is easy to cut and shape. Easy up and down, press fit. Sure helps hold the heat in when it's cold outside and during the day, it keeps it a lot cooler inside.

I've looked at the pinhole stuff. Just not sure how long it would hold up as it is meant to be applied to the outside. I would still need the reflectix.

(Amature at best) I discovered a next-level temporary solution for the ultimate broke kid that I regularly am. I used it a couple times on the fly in my Subaru and it requires minimal effort. 

Adhesive shelf liner

Costs dollars, easily cut with a razor to the perfect size every time, removable with no residue (that I noticed anyways) and gentle enough not the peel off and paint or stains on wood/metals.

black foam board will get some color fading over time.

I actually prefer black 2mm EVA foam sheet goods over the paper coated foam board. The preference has to do with paper is not water proof and the EVA foam is a better insulator and sound dampener. However the EVA foam is a closed cell foam so it does not absorb moisture and I have had no issues with it hosting mold. But do remember that any dirty surface can have mold begin feeding on the dirt, even dirty fiberglass or metal surfaces get that issue.

It can also be stitched through so you can sew a sandwich of Reflectix or shiny mylar to the foam and if you want something that looks exceptionally nice you can put binding around the edges. It can also be glued but the surface of Reflectix and have a situation where the glue lifts the micro thin aluminum coating off of the mylar and that can lead to adhesive failure. So sewing the layers together or even stapling them together along the edges is a little more reliable.

One place to purchase the 36" by 60" rolls of 2mm black EVA foam is at Joanns. The Michaels stores also sell it. The price is just under $10.00 for the roll. Not particularly cheap but it is good quality, good color, easy to cut and has good benefits too.

I used some black foam board to black out the skylight over the shower on my class C. I like it dark when I sleep and parking lot lights are bothersome when we boondock. I got it from a 99 cents store and it works as intended to block the light. I used it horizontal with some aluminum C channel on each side to hold it up, but over time it bows down in the middle and warps. I'm not sure if it's from heat or what little weight it has causing it to warp. Easy to cut and shape with a razor knife, and super cheap to make. I was considering remaking mine and laminating some reflectix to the outside; of the foam board. It might give the reflectix some rigidity and maybe help the warping.

Harbor Freight sells some really small bungee cords that I use to hold reflectix in my Fantastic Vent. I just leave them in place and slide the reflectix in and out.

poot_traveller said:

Actually reflectix doesn't reflect cold just heat.  Cold is the lack of heat as dark is lack of light.  The trapped air insulates which means it will still operate properly.  In fact black absorbs heat so it would benefit in cold weather.