bicycling in BLM and NF land

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea

Reaction score
I like to bike about an hour a day here in suburban Florida (flat and paved.)

What should I expect on BLM land and NFs. Will my 3 speed cruiser be enough or should I bring my mountain bike too? I have no desire to do hardcore mountain biking, just cruising around.

I would leave the cruiser behind unless you will also be doing cities/paved roads. Expect loose soil or gravel and maybe some good sized rocks. Not very level anywhere I have been. If you are going to be following the weather, you will find yourself in the mountains in the summertime. Nothing level about them except for very short stretches.

Mountain bikes exist because other bikes aren't suited for off-pavement riding.

Even if you have "...no desire to do hardcore mountain biking, just cruising around," a mountain bike will be the best choice in western national forests or BLM land. A mountain bike can be ridden in whatever style suits you. But you need the gears and tires that it has.

Invest in airless tires. Thorns can be an issue.

My 29" mountain bike has front/rear suspension, and aftermarket handlebar risers to make it easier to "cruise". 24 speeds is also much better on hills than a 3 speed.

Many mountain bikers in thorny locations will use tubeless tires...Stans brand or other.

I am considering an electric bike: pedal assist bc I need help for my knees (kneed assist).  Bob interviewed the owner of a folding electric Rad Mini with fat tires for desert riding. 

I'm looking at those made in America too.

RVTravel said:
Many mountain bikers in thorny locations will use tubeless tires...Stans brand or other.

Yes indeed, the liquid tire sealer, Stan's, can be purchased at any bike shop, and they will show you how to put it into your tire. Actually I have very few flats even though I do a lot of riding on BLM land.  The product is successful.

Beetle said:
I am considering an electric bike: pedal assist bc I need help for my knees (kneed assist).  Bob interviewed the owner of a folding electric Rad Mini with fat tires for desert riding. 

I'm looking at those made in America too.

This spring I will have to go into the RAD Bike store and test drive one. They are just up the road from where I am.

My knees are not the best either but I got some  wedges to put into the toes of my shoes and that has helped a lot with the knee pain I developed a few years ago. Fortunately there are a lot of bike stores in Seattle and there was one near me that carried wedges so I was able to try them and see how many I needed to change the angle of my feet on the pedal to get rid of the pain in my knees. My left knee was worse than my right so it got two wedges and my right only needed one. But there are also some specific excercises for knee pain when bike riding. You can find them on youtube from sports therapy clinics. Here is one such video, there are others....
This video explains the wedges
https://www.bikefit.com/c-1-cleat-wedges.aspx

Until you acclimate to higher elevations than Florida, you might be surprised how easily and quickly you get winded riding a bike.

I rode my BIL's Rad mini (750 W 48V) in the Tennessee mountains, and was impressed with the ability to start from a dead stop on a really steep hill, and crest it doing 15 mph. This driveway was so steep, I couldn't even get the bike started by pedaling, but took right off with the throttle.

When visiting campgrounds around Ohio, my wife always takes her single speed 26" beach cruiser that has a Yunzhilan IMortor electric front wheel. It's only 36 V and 250 W, but it allows her to pass me on big hills with pedal assist, and a throttle. There are no batteries to buy, or fancy controllers to mount, it is all on the front wheel hub (removable battery included), and only weighs an addition 10-15 pounds for about $300-$400.

Sometimes I can't keep up with her on my 29" 24 speed mountain bike.

I gave away my cruiser and my old mountain bike before going on the road. So far, in 3 weeks and 6 different BLM/NF campsites, I could have used the MB once or twice and the cruiser never. I’m glad I ditched them because having them on the rear hitch of my rig would have made opening the galley door a royal pain. I open and close that door 20 times a day it seems. As for cardio, hiking the hills has worked out fine.

I am still trying to figure out what to do about my addiction to bikes of all kind, so my suggestion may be unhelpful...lol. is it insane that I bring all 3 of my bikes? Road, cruiser, and mtn? Sometimes my back is just not up for leaning forward to reach the mtn bike handlebars. I love the raised, curved cruiser style. I have ridden my cruisers in RIDICULOUSLY unsuitable places for cruisers and never popped a tire. I have an old 1970s Free Spirit cruiser and a newer Townie that I take out alternately, and an old 90s Novara (REI). Honestly I think the quality of the bike maker speaks more to the experience you'll have than the type of bike. I'll be doing some climbing this weekend so the gearing on the Novara is more suitable to that, but you said "not hardcore," so honestly, I think either would work. But hey, why not both? Most bike racks fold so you can open your hatch without removing the rack. They have locking points to lock up the bike not in use. I ride in WA, OR, and ID and so far have not run into any issues with thorns...don't think we have any.