• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Best place in the US to find used RV's this time of year

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katt

Reaction score
It looks like our bus has driven its last mile. Cost of repair exceeds our emergency fund, with no guarantees that even a guaranteed rebuild will run with no issues. So we are here in Illinois for the moment while we try to figure out what to do. 

We could pack all our stuff into a Uhaul and go to wherever the best, least expensive RV's are. We're not sure where that is. We'd also like to land amongst friendly people. 

Any suggestions as to what part of the country we could head to that has decent used RV's for sale that aren't priced through the roof? Or should we just give up on this whole #nomad idea and head back to New York and chalk this up to a learning experience (rather than a failure, I guess?)

Might I suggest that right now, till you have things sorted out. Head back to somewhere you can stay a while and do your due diligence on your purchase instead of having to make a forced decision on the fly?

I wish you the best of luck!

We have no place to stay. Our S&B in NY is rented out and rent in NY is ridiculous. The rent we are charging our friend doesn't even cover the mortgage and taxes. We'll figure it out, but going back to "home" really isn't much of an option.

Doesn't have to be home per say. Just somewhere affordable you could hunker down for a while. Perhaps there is somewhere that you can have your bus towed to and rent a space for a while?

I just posted to your other thread, I managed to loose my password and my phone died or I would have gotten back sooner. There is a fellow that helps keep and get old buses on the road while maintaining a YouTube channel about them and his adventures. Search YouTube for "Bus Grease Monkey" and you should see a video about one he rebuilt last year. I would contact him and at least get an opinion and possibly some mutual arrangement can be worked out.

Generally speaking, the lowest prices on RVs are wherever they already are during the off-season locally. Up north, that means winter time, but farther south, off-season for RVs can be summer time.

Springtime can be the WORST (meaning highest prices) time to try to buy an RV almost anywhere in the USA.

I would not give up on this dream...you might need to rent a storage unit somewhere nearby, move all your extra stuff into it, then buy a decent minivan and a cabin tent to do some traveling in for awhile. Car and tent camping might not be your long term plan but it would give you time to look around and save up some money. In the meantime you could travel around this spring and summer and explore the country a bit. 

When you have the money, start fresh with an RV or bus, big cargo van, whatever, and use the minivan as a down payment...or sell it outright.

Again, good luck.

Katy... download the OfferUp app. In settings type in your zip code where you are and miles you are willing to travel to buy. I just saw a 2000 Fleetwood class C very reasonably priced. Just type in camper in the search bar. All types will be listed within the area you chose to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ughhh predictive text. I meant Katt.

It’s like Craigslist in an app.

Another possibility is buying a used uhaul. Google uhaul truck sales. Would be a project to convert it but it’s do-able.

bullfrog said:
I just posted to your other thread, I managed to loose my password and my phone died or I would have gotten back sooner. There is a fellow that helps keep and get old buses on the road while maintaining a YouTube channel about them and his adventures. Search YouTube for "Bus Grease Monkey" and you should see a video about one he rebuilt last year. I would contact him and at least get an opinion and possibly some mutual arrangement can be worked out.

Thank you for the info :)

JeanInaBox said:
Another possibility is buying a used uhaul. Google uhaul truck sales. Would be a project to convert it but it’s do-able.

We have come up with a plan. We are renting a Uhaul and towing our trailer and car to AZ, where we're going to rent a trailer there until we save some more $$ to either fix the bus or buy a new HoW of some sort, without using up all our emergency funds. 

We'll find out tomorrow, but we may be able to store the bus here in the truck lot where it is currently sitting.

What area in Arizona will you be looking to rent?

Katt said:
We have come up with a plan. We are renting a Uhaul and towing our trailer and car to AZ, where we're going to rent a trailer there until we save some more $$ to either fix the bus or buy a new HoW of some sort, without using up all our emergency funds. 

We'll find out tomorrow, but we may be able to store the bus here in the truck lot where it is currently sitting.

That sounds like a good plan, Katt.

Really think seriously about pouring money into an old bus.

This breakdown may be the universe speaking to you, and it’s always important to listen.

Good luck.