Best insulation for your van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm insulating with Thinsulate, and will have a 125v inlet installed in the side of my van this weekend, and a 14" square hole in the roof for a fan is in my future plans... the fan is sitting in my cargo trailer. Why stop now? #vanlife is upon me.

travelaround said:
I'm insulating with Thinsulate, and will have a 125v inlet installed in the side of my van this weekend, and a 14" square hole in the roof for a fan is in my future plans... the fan is sitting in my cargo trailer. Why stop now? #vanlife is upon me.

My intention was not to stop you, It might help someone starting a van build, in doing it correctly.
This guy actually brings the Tech and does not parrot anyone.

Electricity and ventilation, two musts. Properly sealed openings are not a problem.

B and C said:
Electricity and ventilation, two musts.  Properly sealed openings are not a problem.
I,'ve installed roof vents in all my RVs as well as solar and related wiring and never had a leak.

You are correct that if properly installed they are not a problem.

ET...…….I don't understand YOUR just posting links without SOME discussion...……BEST ?

All of these insulation techniques are different.....WHATS YOUR POINT ?

The last unidentified youtuber link decided on a rigid foam (celotex) for the van floors walls and ceiling ……….and mineral wool for cavities

^^^^sounds pretty familiar to the advice found on this site...….

THINSULATE is another excellent material...…..

"In doing it correctly " ?????????

in cold climates, the only option is a closed cell spray foam in my opinion if you have the money, the walls and ceiling will sweat and its not because the wave 3 puts out moisture, i insulated my van with polyiso then completely sealed everything with reflectix more as a vapor barrier, well it didn’t work and i literally had puddles of water in the ceiling, i had to rip it all out a couple weeks ago and lost a few hundred dollars in material, i just bought 4 armaflex closed cell sheets ( 3x4 ) to do my roof to see how it goes, i'll let you know how it goes

Since 2014, that I know of when I started reading CRVL blogs, Bob Wells has been telling people that Reflectix needs an air gap to be effective.
Not news.

Extra Terrific said:
https://vacayvans.com/best-natural-insulation-for-your-diy-camper-van-conversion/

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]https://vanlife.academy/spray-foam-van-insulation-reflectix/[/font]
My Verdict on Reflectix for insulating your van

Everyone has an opinion ...but
Things I would never do cut a hole in my vehicle roof.
Cut a hole in the side of my [size=large][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]vehicle[/font].[/size]
You are funny. There are already lots of really big holes in the sides of your vehicle.  They all need gasketing to keep out water. Just cut a hole and do the gasketing job correctly and don't cut into the support structure that was formed into various shapes for load bearing. No need to avoid putting in a window if you need one or a hole for a water line or electrical connection, just choose the right spot and put in good gasket material to keep out the water. Oh and don't put air intakes into the vehicle next to the exhaust outlet or put stuff too close to a hot surface such as a muffler. Think it through before you do it.

Reflectix is for good for sealing off windows, but something thicker, with higher "R" value would be wise for the other surfaces. An air gap engineered into your build is always going to out perform the same van with no air gap (rather like woodstove heat shields).

ckelly78z said:
Reflectix is for good for sealing off windows, but something thicker, with higher "R" value would be wise for the other surfaces. An air gap engineered into your build is always going to out perform the same van with no air gap (rather like woodstove heat shields).
Agree. I just finished my van ceiling with 1 inch XPS R7 and covered with reflectix which added R3, so I have R10 on the ceiling.  It was awesomely warm in there last night (no heater either). For anyone struggling with glue, after 3 glue failures I took the advice of a member on here and used a hot glue gun. Then taped the seams with aluminum tape, and hot glued the reflectix onto that, and taped the edges with aluminum tape.  It looks really nice, kind of like ocean waves on the ceiling the way it picks up soft lighting. I plan to add some ribs in case any of the glue lets go on a bumpy road or something. Walls are also insulated with 2 inches of XPS plus reflectix. Floor insulated with reflectix and half inch plywood.   ~crofter

Anybody considering wool? I have read some info on it that sounds good but... looking for opinions of others.  Yes I know the cost is high.

crofter, where did you get the info that Reflextix is R-3 everything I have seen says maybe R-1 and IMO even that is stretching it.

outermost, I would not use anything that can absorb moisture.

highdesertranger

https://havelockwool.com/van-insulation-products/

My next build will be wool insulation.

At the moment, my strategy would be to mount furring strips, then screw panels to the furring strips while stuffing the gap between the panel and van body with wool. I haven't done a lot of research on it though.

A friend of mine built his Ford Transit (the larger type Transit) with wool insulation. He said he needed slightly more than one bale which cost about $300.

highdesertranger said:
crofter,  where did you get the info that Reflextix is R-3 everything I have seen says maybe R-1....
When you buy the large roll at Home Depot, there is an included sheet that specifies R values based on application. You may be able to read this from the outside of the roll also. My application placed the reflectix over insulation layer which was R3. However because I have metal studs and not wood it may be lower. It does warm up fast now and stays warm. Next project: insulate the cargo door.  -crofter

yeah I thought on the Reflectix web site it stated that the R value was R-1. highdesertranger

It is possible that the application sheet included with the product is based on hot air and not science. So far it is working nicely for me.  -crofter