Being Undetected

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been van dwelling for a while and have gotten past fearing the "knock". Courteously answering police questions and moving along as instructed has never resulted in a problem. As for intruders, they're more afraid of me than I am of them and invariably run off. Vehicle break-ins are a cowards crime and they're not into the hassle or uncertainty of dealing with the "Surprise". Some will argue the exception and this is why having a deterrent is worth while, but have never needed one. &nbsp; &nbsp; <br>

This is where a cell phone may be your best deterrent. Someone hearing a loud voice saying "911, I have an emergency" will certainly think twice whatever their motives/type. <br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">
If you are legally parked, there can be no towing of your vehicle,<br>
</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">That is not entirely correct. If the property owner wants the vehicle towed, it gets towed. A vehicle getting towed gets inventoried by the officer, and contraband seized.&nbsp;A property owner has the right to say who or what remains on their property. Refer back to my post above.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">And assuming you are not trespassing.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">If you are on the property of a business that is closed, then you have no legal reason to be there and are trespassing. If you are on the lot of a business that IS open, but you are not a patron, you can be charged with trespassing, if you refuse to leave and&nbsp;if the owner desires.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Please note: there is no legal requirement for a property to be posted "No Trespassing": if you haven't the owners permission, or on the property beyond the scope with which permission has been given, you can be charged with trespassing.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Specifics chage from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but the generalities are pretty much the same.</p>

Your point that privately owned property does not need to have a "no trespassing" sign posted is a good one. Tween's hypothesis however is "if you are legally parked", which I assume to mean he would not be in any of the situations you list. Parking on a street at night where there is no post stating you cannot do so, might for example, be an example of "legal parking". <br>I say all of this having very little knowledge of the law or the legal system, so feel free to take whatever I say <i>cum grano salis </i>or correct me if I'm wrong. <br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">
Tween's hypothesis however is "if you are legally parked", which I assume to mean he would not be in any of the situations you list<br>
</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Which is why I phrased it 'not ENTIRELY' correct. A lot of poeple aren't familiar with the laws, precisely, and I wanted to mention a few points.</p>

<p style="margin: 0px;">What seems to work for me, if asked, and i have been by both private and locals. Give as little info as possible in as few words as possible. Usually they tell you right off to move on, not always.&nbsp; as i have diabetes, i can say my sugar was low, i had stopped till my sugar level came up. Most times, after checking my drivers license i am asked to move on, or&nbsp;when felling better. Or, something like there is a Wal Mart at so an so place, that would be ok. That was with a 31 ft. Motor home tho Nothing with my van. </p><p style="margin: 0px;">Happy trails, Roy</p>

I'd like to share for your enjoyment only that in a certain town in the San Gabriel Valley in California, you will ABSOLUTELY get a ticket if you park on the street all night. Any street in the town. Period. No warning.<br>However, if you call the police dept. with a license number, you will not be bothered. <br>There are no signs at the city boundaries, no anything.&nbsp; No notification of any kind.<br>&nbsp;One just has to know.&nbsp; &nbsp;<br>I thought that since it's always been that way, perhaps I should look up the actual law.<br>Here goes:<br>"Section 10.32.210 of the&nbsp; Municipal Code prohibits parking any vehicle on a City street for more than one hour between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. There are a variety of reasons for the ordinance, but some major considerations are:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Street cleaning.&nbsp;&nbsp; Having vehicles off the streets at night ensures that most streets will be clear for the street sweeping trucks in the morning.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Beautification.&nbsp;&nbsp; Requiring vehicles to be parked off the streets makes the City a more attractive place to live.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Lower crime.&nbsp;&nbsp; Vehicles parked on the street at night can be targets for theft and vandalism. Having most of them off the street also helps patrol officers see which ones might not belong in the area."<br><br>Gotta love a college town...<br><br><br>Nelda

Here in the greater Seattle area, there are Park and Rides all over the place. I wonder if you could get away with parking in these over night. I don't recall seeing a sign posted that has hours or anything... just curious if anyone else knows anything about this?

SoulRaven said:
never underestamate a beat cop for any city, they know their town and notice anything out of the ordinary... it is best to be up front and honest, if he asks you to move along ask him where it is safe and sound, chances are he will show you a good place if you are upfront and honest... remember you are not a criminal, just a person trying to get some rest... it is all part of vandwelling, just play the game or head to the nearest NF to camp...<br />
<br /><br />Also don't assume that&nbsp;security won't recognize a new vehicle in the area. While I worked security I checked empty homes in a residential area. I worked there for almost a year. I came to know which vehicles&nbsp;"belonged" in the area and which vehicles didn't belong there as well. That's when I realized that there&nbsp;was a van dweller staying there once a week or so. Then I noticed a 2nd van dweller as well.<br /><br />I never bothered the two van&nbsp;dwellers&nbsp;as they were parked on a public street. They weren't doing anything illegal. They&nbsp;arrived&nbsp;around 10pm and left around 6am.&nbsp;Keep in mind that this was in the middle of an older Las Vegas&nbsp;residential neighborhood&nbsp;as well. I began to recognize van dwellers the more I started doing research this subject. Call it research for my future life. lol<br /><br />As long&nbsp;you try to stay in "stealth mode" you should be fine.

WinterSmith said:
I recently saw an ad for parking space in a fenced in lot for real cheap. That may be better. Like that credit card ad. "Rent for parking space: $25 a month, price of not getting caught: priceless." Ah, the fun of exploration.
<br /><br />This is a something I've considered doing in the event I were hired at a job in a city where parking was an issue.<br /><br />I'm only 55 years old&nbsp;&amp; I have a few years left until I can retire. Until then I'll have to&nbsp;work at least part-time to pay my bills. If I'm hired in municipality/city where legal parking is an issue&nbsp;renting a parking space may be a viable option. Heck, it's cheaper than renting an apartment. I've even found parking garages that are rentable on a monthly basis as well. Even in some larger areas of So. California there some very inexpensive rentable parking areas.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong. I'm not inclined to&nbsp;rent&nbsp;again but if I land a part-time job&nbsp;in an area where parking is an issue (in a non-van dweller friendly town) it might be a good temporary option. Having an assigned parking area would make things a little easier.<br /><br />Just a thought!

I currently live in L.A. near the city limit to Glendale and as I am planning my transition to moblie living I have been scouting out possible places for overnight parking and I noticed that Glendale posts signs at their border that prohibits any vehicle longer than 23 feet and higher than 8 feet from parking anytime longer than 2 hours. If the right situation came along for a paid parking spot I definitely would consider it, just to avoid the stress, since for now I plan on continuing living in the city pretty keeping up the same lifestyle and activities that I've done living in an apartment. Not being bothered by the cops is my biggest issue regarding mobile living and I struggle back and forth with the idea of how much do I want to give up just for stealth. I've always dreamed of owning something life a Roadtrek, and I can afford a good used one, but again,&nbsp;I'd&nbsp;stick out.

fredcdobbs said:
I currently live in L.A. near the city limit to Glendale and as I am planning my transition to moblie living I have been scouting out possible places for overnight parking and I noticed that Glendale posts signs at their border that prohibits any vehicle longer than 23 feet and higher than 8 feet from parking anytime longer than 2 hours. If the right situation came along for a paid parking spot I definitely would consider it, just to avoid the stress, since for now I plan on continuing living in the city pretty keeping up the same lifestyle and activities that I've done living in an apartment. Not being bothered by the cops is my biggest issue regarding mobile living and I struggle back and forth with the idea of how much do I want to give up just for stealth. I've always dreamed of owning something life a Roadtrek, and I can afford a good used one, but again,&nbsp;I'd&nbsp;stick out.
<br /><br />I can see that parking any vehicle&nbsp;using the criteria the city of Glendale uses could become a problem for&nbsp;you. It would be helpful knowing I had a reserved parking space to park my van. I'm planning on buying a full-size&nbsp;commercial cargo van when I make my escape.<br /><br />I've done a bit of research and have found parking spaces, garages, etc. for around $100.00&nbsp;a month. That's&nbsp;not alot&nbsp;of money compared to the cost of renting an apartment.&nbsp;I'd rather not rent a parking space or garage but as you said, it might be a good option to consider.<br /><br />Thanks for your&nbsp;comments!&nbsp;

I'd gladly pay $100 a month as long as the owner knew I was staying in my vehicle and I didn't have to hide that fact. <br /><br />
Pikachu711 said:
fredcdobbs said:
<br /><br />I can see that parking any vehicle&nbsp;using the criteria the city of Glendale uses could become a problem for&nbsp;you. It would be helpful knowing I had a reserved parking space to park my van. I'm planning on buying a full-size&nbsp;commercial cargo van when I make my escape.<br /><br />I've done a bit of research and have found parking spaces, garages, etc. for around $100.00&nbsp;a month. That's&nbsp;not alot&nbsp;of money compared to the cost of renting an apartment.&nbsp;I'd rather not rent a parking space or garage but as you said, it might be a good option to consider.<br /><br />Thanks for your&nbsp;comments!&nbsp;

I actually located a trailor park on San Fernando Rd in L.A., a total dump, utilities not included, though available, to&nbsp;park anything up to 29 feet long,&nbsp;for a whopping $650 a month! I pay $812 a month with utilities included for my apartment now.

If anyone is interested in this option go to the Craigslist for any given area. Look in the "Housing" section then "Parking/Storage" section. You'll find a list of parking &amp; storage options available in that given area.

Pikachu,<br /><br />This is actually brilliant!&nbsp; i've read about people doing this sort of as caretakers, but it makes sense to do this if you can be stealthy.&nbsp; <br /><br />There are several options in my own area, including paying $35 for parking at a house with a storage shed attached to the parking rent; or paying for a 20 X 60 rollup storage space like a small warehouse with electric and air.&nbsp; Pull your van in, roll the door down, and relax as long as you can keep signs of life hidden after dark!&nbsp; Your own lock and key.&nbsp; If you have the funds for this kind of thing, it would seem to be a way of minimizing stress.<br /><br />Great reminder!&nbsp; Thanks!!

If you do this, are you up front with them about staying in your vehicle overnight or do you hide that fact and hope you're not discovered?<br />
Pikachu711 said:
If anyone is interested in this option go to the Craigslist for any given area. Look in the "Housing" section then "Parking/Storage" section. You'll find a list of parking &amp; storage options available in that given area.

would like to see examples of this myself. sounds like great information to have. read otehr comments about parking in a hospital parking lot for a few days. Stuff happens, and bet you could get a week out of parking there.