Beginning the journey

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnknownNobody

Reaction score
Hi all,

Well I have finally found a van, a beautiful Chevy Astro, and am beginning the process of building the interior. Thanks for all the tips.
I have attached a photo of what I've got so far. All I have done is removed some of the paneling, the seats, and the seat belts.
inside_van.jpg

What I am trying to decide is whether to remove the carpeting or leave it in. Also, whether to remove the ceiling material. The carpet is in good shape, and I wonder how much insulation it provides. Would it be better to remove it and add a different kind of insulation?

This is the design I would like to implement:
astro_1.jpg

Here is another similar set up:

Would it be easier to build all the structures without the carpet in place?

Attachments

• inside_van.jpg
    inside_van.jpg
    1.1 MB
  • astro_1.jpg
    astro_1.jpg
    60.1 KB
UnknownNobody said:
Hi all,

Well I have finally found a van, a beautiful Chevy Astro, and am beginning the process of building the interior. Thanks for all the tips.
I have attached a photo of what I've got so far. All I have done is removed some of the paneling, the seats, and the seat belts.

What I am trying to decide is whether to remove the carpeting or leave it in. Also, whether to remove the ceiling material. The carpet is in good shape, and I wonder how much insulation it provides. Would it be better to remove it and add a different kind of insulation?

This is the design I would like to implement:

Here is another similar set up:

Would it be easier to build all the structures without the carpet in place?

IMO, yes, it's easier to build everything without the carpet in place although the Class A RV I had was carpeted first, then all the built ins were added. When the time came to change out the carpet it was a total and utter PITA. The manufacturer built it that way for their convenience not mine... :rolleyes:

I'm putting in vinyl laminate for flooring and then will add small area rugs that can be tossed in a washing machine when dirty.

When you're living in a van, having easy to keep clean floors becomes essential IMO. Sooner or later you're going to be climbing in that van with wet shoes and a dripping raincoat. It's not like at home where you have an entrance area that is tiled where you deal with the outdoors BEFORE you step on the carpet.

Also, one has to think about how you're going to mount the furniture on the floor - what is there to screw in to.

Oh, and congratulations on the new van!!

Hey cool on new van! I actually have that same design you want saved in my computer for awhile, because that is similar to what I want to build into mine this summer. though I am leaning towards keeping my rear seat as a bed because it is big enough for my dog and I after all. Thanks for the photos and have fun on the build!! Peace!

I am excited about this build, can't wait to see the progress

As I understand it, those are designs you have seen and want to implement? I like them. I would ad that I would steer away from o.s.b. Board. It can gas off formaldehyde pretty good, as allowable levels for exterior grade is higher than interior plywoods( though some can be bad too.) there are healthier plywoods to choose. Also, for the bed, some have complained about moisture/mildew with solid platforms. Maybe slats for the platform would allow some air circulation. Design is solid. Good luck with the build

Krenov72 said:
As I understand it, those are designs you have seen and want to implement? I like them. I would ad that I would steer away from o.s.b. Board. It can gas off formaldehyde pretty good, as allowable levels for exterior grade is higher than interior plywoods( though some can be bad too.) there are healthier plywoods to choose. Also, for the bed, some have complained about moisture/mildew with solid platforms. Maybe slats for the platform would allow some air circulation. Design is solid. Good luck with the build
I have had the issue of condensation under the mattress in my Roadtrek.  The solution I have implemented is to add "Hypervent" between the mattress and the unheated storage space beneath it.  This is a common problem that boaters have too.  Sleeping in a van that is unheated will have the same condensation issue.  Lifting the mattress daily to let the condensation air (dry) out is another option.  I have read success stories about using plastic trellis under the mattress too.  Slats have been used successfully too.  Anything to allow air to circulate between the mattress and platform.  Most problems can be dealt with effectively, some solutions are cheaper than others.

http://www.hyperventmarine.com/