Been living in my car since August 2016. I acutually like it.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Kencade

Reaction score
Randy here! New Member.

I ended up living in my car as a result of losing my job and running out of cash. I didn't want to live in the homeless shelter so I decided to live in my  car. I actually am enjoying. I like the freedom and mobility.

I've since found a job and I can afford to at least rent a room.  Due in part to the eviction it's hard to get an apartment. I don't even want to rent the room now as I have a neat system for living.

For showers I have a $20/month membership with Planet Fitness(PF). You can get a $10/month membership but you're limited to the location in which you've signed up. I have the $20 membership called--The Black Card. This level of membership allows you to use ANY PF location in the USA. Most of them are open 24/7 including holidays and they have some open 24/5. So I wake up at 6am and go workout than I jump in the shower. So it's actually very beneficial to have the membership from the health perspective. I generally take long hot showers. You can shave there as well. I shave first than jump in the shower.

I cut my own hair( I have the bald look) so I do that at work. I work 2nd shift as a facilities associate. The building is empty at night so after I finish my work, generally on Friday night around 10:30pm, I go to the basement women's restroom that NEVER gets used. I put a sign up that says "CLOSED FOR CLEANING" (even though the restroom never gets used) I than close that door and lock it. I cover the sink with a towel to catch the hair and than I cut it.....I cut my hair once a week since I ware it bald so I want to keep it looking "clean". During the week I touch it update PF.

I also get packages mailed to work(Amazon,etc..) I told my boss I am not home to get my packages and was suggested I have them delivered at work(nice). In terms of mail, most things are emailed to me but a UPS box is my address. I even had the payroll email me my W2.

I'm in the process of saving money and searching for an out of state job. Looking forward to relocating. I figured since I am "free" to move at any moment why not take advantage of my new lifestyle.

Currently living out of a mid-sized sudan. I want to find and buy a "square body" Jeep Spot. I had one before and loved that vehicle.

Well, that's my story!

Happy living!

Good for you. I go bald also. Wal MArt has a little bottle mixed in with sharing cream for 3$ and change. Three drops is all it takes. Good travels

Welcome to the CRVL forums Randy! Glad to see that your choice out of necessity has become your choice for freedom and economy. Great post! Keep us updated when you buy your Jeep and configuration for fulltime living.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome! Sounds like you've got the car livin' dialed in.

Hi Randy and best of luck to ya and Happy Living right back at ya! :cool:

:) Hello and Welcome :)

Jewellann and Queenie aka Fat Possum

Randy Kencade said:
Randy here! New Member.

I ended up living in my car as a result of losing my job and running out of cash. I didn't want to live in the homeless shelter so I decided to live in my  car. I actually am enjoying. I like the freedom and mobility.

I've since found a job and I can afford to at least rent a room.  Due in part to the eviction it's hard to get an apartment. I don't even want to rent the room now as I have a neat system for living.

For showers I have a $20/month membership with Planet Fitness(PF). You can get a $10/month membership but you're limited to the location in which you've signed up. I have the $20 membership called--The Black Card. This level of membership allows you to use ANY PF location in the USA. Most of them are open 24/7 including holidays and they have some open 24/5. So I wake up at 6am and go workout than I jump in the shower. So it's actually very beneficial to have the membership from the health perspective. I generally take long hot showers. You can shave there as well. I shave first than jump in the shower.

I cut my own hair( I have the bald look) so I do that at work. I work 2nd shift as a facilities associate. The building is empty at night so after I finish my work, generally on Friday night around 10:30pm, I go to the basement women's restroom that NEVER gets used. I put a sign up that says "CLOSED FOR CLEANING" (even though the restroom never gets used) I than close that door and lock it. I cover the sink with a towel to catch the hair and than I cut it.....I cut my hair once a week since I ware it bald so I want to keep it looking "clean". During the week I touch it update PF.

I also get packages mailed to work(Amazon,etc..) I told my boss I am not home to get my packages and was suggested I have them delivered at work(nice). In terms of mail, most things are emailed to me but a UPS box is my address. I even had the payroll email me my W2.

I'm in the process of saving money and searching for an out of state job. Looking forward to relocating. I figured since I am "free" to move at any moment why not take advantage of my new lifestyle.

Currently living out of a mid-sized sudan. I want to find and buy a "square body" Jeep Spot. I had one before and loved that vehicle.

Well, that's my story!

Happy living!

Hey Randy - it sounds like you have made the best out of the situation! Congrats to you! It takes a lot of energy and willpower to make things work and not to cave in. You should be proud of yourself!

Safe travels and keep us updated when you have decided on where you're moving to!

Hey welcome to the forum!

How do you handle obtaining or cooking food?

Sounds like you've got a good system going. The facilities job fits in very nicely. Welcome to CRVL.

IGBT said:
Hey welcome to the forum!

How do you handle obtaining or cooking food?

Hey there.....

I buy at the grocery and keep it in my office refrig. Unfortunately, I have to microwave everything or use the toaster or toaster over.....if I do eat out, I eat healthy foods. Since it's still cold here, fruit keeps well in the car and so does water.

Randy Kencade said:
Hey there.....

I buy at the grocery and keep it in my office refrig. Unfortunately, I have to microwave everything or use the toaster or toaster over.....if I do eat out, I eat healthy foods. Since it's still cold here, fruit keeps well in the car and so does water.
Buy a single burner electric stove to use at work or an electric sandwich maker. I cook all kinds of things on my sandwich maker at work  :D They are not expensive at Walmart.

Isn't it funny. The ladies room in the lower levels of any factory never gets used...Always the cleanest one in the whole plant.