Batteries & "permanent" smart chargers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

<P>So, I've been reading up a lot on this site about electricity, and have even posted some stuff on my blog about what I have read there. I have a question.</P>I'm planning on buying three new deep cycle batteries, now I can't afford to buy the AGM just yet, so I'll stick with the wet cell batteries that are considerably cheaper, and upgrade when I can. <br><br>My question is this, as I won't be going solar anytime soon (I need to build a metal roof with support for panels), can I permanently hook up the intellegent battery chargers to the batteries? As in, I would buy three chargers, and perhaps connect them to pull from one source? This way I can plug in, and charge from one outlet, or would this be bad? Would having the connectors on the terminals all the time also drain the batteries when not plugged in?<br><P>Basically, I only use power for light, radio, and laptop (with surround sound through the stereo). I had discovered that I was originally only getting about 2 hours of power from my house battery previously, and it may be because it was actually dead, and draining my starter battery because the isolator is shot. (I'm looking into a Continuous Duty solenoid for the perfect isolation of starter and house)</P><P>Having three batteries and only using power for the laptop for the most part (I enjoy candle light), I should have power for quite a while before really needing to recharge them, which I could do when parked for the day either at the parking lot, which has power, or at a friends house.</P><P>&nbsp;</P>

Arathi, <br><br>Just get the <b>Blue Sea 7622 relay</b> (very easy to install).&nbsp; All three will always be charged just from driving around.&nbsp; <br><br>Then, with the addition of just ONE 3-stage charger, it will keep all three batteries charged. <br><br>I use&nbsp;an AIMS 1500 watt inverter/10 amp charger for plugging in.&nbsp;Its a great dual purpose unit. <br><br>You can buy a cheap 1.5 amp charger&nbsp;from Harbor freight and it will keep all 3 of your batteries topped&nbsp;off. IF you installed the relay and kept a seperate house bank.&nbsp;<br><br>It <b><U>HAS to be a 3 or 4 stage charger</U></b>, whichever you get. Otherwise, you'll overcharge them. <br><br>A.J.<br><br><br><br>