Bath towels that don't take up a lot of space?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you just want to move water around buy Chinese sham wow knock offs from a dollar store.   

If you are serious about having a towel then get big beach sized towel from Ikea.  Why would you want be serious about towel ownership?  Well according to:

Douglas Adams
“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

brollins said:
I have lightweight towels that I bought from Walmart.

Same here. They get the job done and don't take up much space.

Two towels and two wash clothes is all you need (one set is drying while the other set is in use). Forget about folding them nice—just stuff them into some of the many nooks and crannies when traveling. Seriously, they take up zero room since there are so many odd shaped nooks and crannies in a vehicle once you have everything else packed.

Had a special camping towel that cost a ton of money at REI a few years ago.
When I was at NBC you would register the kind of gift cards you preferred on the company employee site. Since I'm a kind of hyper person who works fast so the day goes by quicker, I ended up with lots of gift cards being employee of the month for my dept, the west coast or Engineering in general quite often.
After a while I ran out of things to buy at REI.
Towel worked great, weighed nothing, and dried off very fast. Especially in direct sun light.
It was basically just like those microfiber towels at hardware or auto parts stores, but softer, and a kind of diamond pattern to the fibers.
Lost it camping of course.
I think the same trip I lost my Craftsman multitool.

Calaverasgrande said:
It was basically just like those microfiber towels at hardware or auto parts stores, but softer, and a kind of diamond pattern to the fibers.
Lost it camping of course.
I think the same trip I lost my Craftsman multitool.
Murphy dealt you a double whammy there, that's not cool.  I've never heard rave reviews of Craftsman multitools, but I would not want to lose a REI towel, that company doesn't sell junk.  I suppose there are worse things that can happen.
 Every so often I check in on another forum for people who obsesses over multitools and swiss army knives so I go to ask.  What did you replace them with?

I have a Leatherman Wave now. Bought for me by a gf after I lost the Craftsman.
Actually she got me a Leatherman Blast which is much better, but after I broke the pliers on that one and returned for warranty service they said Blast was EOL and sent me the Wave.
The Craftsman multi I had was excellent. The blade was great, the pliers were perfect (they actually lined up!). It had a very ergonomic grip, unlike the Leatherman Multis back then. So you could exert real force. Very similar to the Wave in the layout, but the pliers had a really good wire stripper (like the Blast but better).
And that was back when Sears honored Craftsman warranty no questions asked. If I overexerted and broke the a screw driver or something on it, just walk into Sears and walk out with a new one. Did that 3 or 4 times.
Not that it was brittle. I just ended up pushing my luck with it once I found out I could warranty replace it in 5 minutes.

Calaverasgrande said:
that was back when Sears honored Craftsman warranty no questions asked. If I overexerted and broke the a screw driver or something on it, just walk into Sears and walk out with a new one. Did that 3 or 4 times.
Yeah, I used to buy craftsman tools used in swap meets knowing it was warranty solid so long as it wasn't modified.  Now I  won't even buy them new.  what did you replace the towel with?

Check the auto gadgets section of Walmart or go to an actual auto parts store and look at towels/chamois for washing and drying vehicles. Mostly the same stuff as the fancy backpacking towels but much cheaper.
DITTO. That's all I have used for years. And you don't have to worry about drying them and adding a bunch of moisture to the living space. In fact you don't want them to dry. Just wring them out and put them back in the tube or a ziplock.