Bath towels that don't take up a lot of space?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
We are looking for bath towels that take up a lot less space than the normal fluffy cotton towels but don't feel like you are rubbing a squeegee across your body when drying off.

Any recommendations?

I use plain old cheap small 100% cotton bath towels. Sometimes a microfiber towel from the cleaning supplies section in Sam's Club.

Micro fibrer towels are not all rough feeling some have soft fibers.

However I just use the yoga mat towel sizes of micro fiber. They have the rougher texture.

The issue you are having is thinking they sghould be used with the same rubbing motion as cotton bath towels. All you have to do to make them work nicely is stop doing that. Dont rub, just blot the towel against you . No more sandpaper issues. 

Although I must admit I dry my back, by holding the two far ends of the micro fiber towel and pulling it back and forth. What a lovely exfoliating back scratcher it makes, it feels just great to do that. Also great for exfoliating feet, knees and elbows.

Maybe you will revise your thinking about that type of towel and maybe you won't. Does not matter to me either way.

Regular cotton towels take up almost no space if you store them spread out flat under your mattress.  :D

REI and others sell backpacking towels that pack small and are light, but they do not feel as a good was a cotton towel.  i agree with crofter: a hand towel is enough to dry off with.
I also like my towel to be a little rough so I air dry them.

Check the auto gadgets section of Walmart or go to an actual auto parts store and look at towels/chamois for washing and drying vehicles. Mostly the same stuff as the fancy backpacking towels but much cheaper.

I haven’t used it for myself, but could…a microfiber towel meant for drying a dog, that I keep tucked in a cabinet because mine likes to roll in duck poop when she finds it and then requires bathing while traveling.

This item is of a good size, and thicker than your usual microfiber

I use my ever handy, beautiful, multi-purpose pareos for bath towels. They dry super fast. If you need that regular bath towel feel, a wash cloth works. Even if it gets soaked drying your top half, you can squeeze it out and still dry your bottom half.

Microfiber towels. You can get body sized ones. They are awesome. They do take a bit of getting used to as they feel different. I did a couple of 3+ week trips on my motorcycle and it was very useful and packed down very small. They also dry out faster than a standard towel, and for any other liquid spill, it also absorbs fast and a lot!

I'm having the same issue and have been on the hunt for towels that will take up less space and came across Turkish Towels on Amazon. I haven't pulled the trigger yet - but they sound very similar to what Ravella described as her "pareos."

And duh! Why did I not think to store under the mattress?

I use hand sized cotton towels. Their sized just right for drying off without them touching the ground.

Love that Mr Noodly.....store flat under mattress, cool idea actually!

We use cheapy cotton thin towels and not that giant size bath towel, that cheaper smaller size towel. they do the job great. Pick up at a dollar type store. Dry fast

omgosh I despise microfiber stuff....it has 'an itch' or fibery catch to it, I can't even touch that stuff...yuk for me personally but if you don't mind it they are a good way to go.

Since I spend as much of my time as possible in regions with low humidity, I live just fine with only one towel. Good old fashioned fluffy cotton terry cloth. I drape it over the steering wheel and it drys in about an hour. I use a washcloth to dry my hands when necessary.

RoamerRV428 said:
omgosh I despise microfiber stuff....it has 'an itch' or fibery catch to it, I can't even touch that stuff...yuk for me personally...

Microfiber is plastic. It's made from one or more of [font=DDG_ProximaNova, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_0, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_1, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_2, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_3, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_4, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_5, DDG_ProximaNova_UI_6,]polyester, polyamide or polypropylene.[/font]