Basic Solar info

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wabbit

Reaction score
Any links used are not an endorsement, just links that have the information I wanted in terms I understood. So click the links to get the reading information. This post was requested in March of 2018, links may or may not work when you read this. If this is the case, revive the thread with a request for working information links. The text in GREEN are search terms used in Google to find said information.

Solar Panel wiring.

Parallel-partial shading only stops panels in shade. Panels in sunlight still produce energy.

Series-if one panel is shaded or partially shaded, affects all panels ability to produce energy.

Combine Series\Parallel - read link

solar panels series or parallel
Learn Series - Parallel - Series\Parallel wiring with image diagram and video links at bottom of link.
https://www.renogy.com/learn-series-and-parallel/

Battery wiring.

Parallel - increase Amp hours(ah) - voltage does not increase.

Series - increase voltage - ah's do not increase.

Combine Series\Parallel - read link.

battery banks parallel series
Learn battery how to wiring with image diagrams- Series - Parallel - Series\Parallel.
https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-bank-tutorial.html

My solar board. I do not have my solar panels fused(this is being corrected). I do not use a switch to turn off\on solar panels. My setup doesn't need it as I disconnect panels differently. Next time I will install switch.

1.) Charge Controller(CC) - My CC is a Tracer BN series 2215. Your needs might vary.

2.) Remote meter MT-50 for CC. - I can set CC parameters with this.

3.) 500w Inverter.

4.) Fuse Box. - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001P6FTHC

5.) 100 Amp ANL Fuse(x2) - Second Fuse is under temperature sensor cable(hard to see) https://www.amazon.com/InstallGear-Gauge-Fuse-Holder-Fuses/dp/B01MUT9DWJ

6.) 100 Amp ammeter shunt(x2) - See next item link for combo shunt\meter

7.) Display Digital(x2) - These displays tell me approx what volts\amps are going in and out of battery and keep a tally of watts in and out(approx)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013PKYILS

8.) Temperature sensor(cable that is circle looped - sensor tip is down by batteries)

Solar Panel hot(+) to Fuse to on\off switch to CC(#1 above) to fuse(100a ANL (#5)) to battery(+) to fuse(100a ANL (#5)) to Fuse Box(#4)

Solar Panel ground(-) to CC to 100a shunt(for digital display-monitor input to battery) to battery(-) to 100a shunt(for digital display-monitor output from battery) to Fuse Box.

500w Inverter hooked to main posts on Fuse Box.

Shunt wiring found in Digital Display(#7) instructions(at least mine were).

Image1.jpg

That's it. Hopefully it's understandable. This setup is for 200w of solar in a deployable configuration. I run my 2x 100w panels in series. They are portable with 40ft of cable to find sun. Shade is not an issue. I run 2x 6volt 215ah batteries in series for 12v 215ah bank. Batteries are Duracell Ultra 6v 215ah from batteriesplus.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 25
I thought shunts were supposed to be connected to the negative not the positive. Does that vary depending upon application?

All the ones I've seen are indeed on negative, and in such a way nothing is allowed to bypass, only connection between the negative buss and the bank post.

Oops. Let me fix my last statement.

The inverter shouldn't share its fuse with the fuse block.

Any load should come directly off of the shunt. The inverter should be connected directly at the shunt and the fuse block should be connected directly at the shunt.

I also see some items connected to the battery side of the shunt. In my set up items can be connected only on the one side of the shunt. The only thing that is allowed to be connected on the battery side of the shunt is the negative terminal of the battery. You won't get good readings otherwise.

Are you using twisted pair wire on the tiny screws of the shunt? My setup requires it and any sensitive data transfer needs it.

The shunts are on the negative.

The shunts don't have juice to feed the inverter\Fuse block because on the negative.

Wires coming off of shunt are for the display meters.

Inverter hooked to Fuse Box mains because no room left on 100a ANL Fuse post. Inverter has internal Fuse. Will look into this.

The wire used on shunts to display meter is stranded wire. Will contact display meter guys and replace if necessary.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hi Wabbit,
To anybody with at least half a clue, surely this is all very Understandable... :)
then there's me.
At this point may I ask, you said " Shade is not an issue." Solar is dependent on HOW MUCH sun is Available, right?

Too, being in the PNW, to even make a small difference on the roof of a house, how many Solar panels would be needed ?

The comment "shade isn't an issue" referred to my wiring the panels in series. When wired in series, the panels act like 1 big panel. Meaning if one of the panels was partially shaded, it would affect both panels instead of just the panel partially shaded. If I wired the panels parallel, the panels would act seperate with shade.

Yes, solar power produced by panels is affected by how much sun there is.

Here's a link that talks about solar in the PNW. It's a company called Sunergy Systems. They appear to be based out of Washington, they would be a lot better informed than I about those PNW conditions.

https://www.sunergysystems.com/about-solar/does-it-work

It's coming together quite well. Looking good. I'm not just saying that to try to be nice, it's looking good.

Very nice of you folks to take the time to compile, print, & share this information. Even the thread title is attractive & will serve well for researchers.

There is one rule that all must follow. Fuse protects the wire. Every wire from the positive battery terminal needs a fuse at the terminal. Every wire from the positive bus needs a fuse at the positive bus. Equipment internal fuses do not protect the wire.