Banana Slugs Sauteed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fried scorpion skewers with salt sprinkled on them tastes reminiscent of chicken livers.
Fried grasshopper was fairly tasteless but crunchy.

Without the benefits of advanced education, reading of copious books, perusing the seminar forums, I am of the opinion gained by a life well lived, that eating greasy things ain't worth the bother.

Without the benefits of advanced education, reading of copious books, perusing the seminar forums, I am of the opinion gained by a life well lived, that eating greasy things ain't worth the bother.
Lots of vitamins are fat-soluble (e.g. A, D, E, K) and, while "greasy" food is often unpleasant, having some fat in your daily diet is important.

..."greasy" food is often unpleasant... fat... is important.
[sigh]
a)
I like an opinion to be prefaced with "I think...", as in "I think greasy food is often unpleasant", and I would be comfortable with closing that opinion with "... for me."
b)
Fats and oils are essential.
This is a medical fact.
No need to qualify it with "I think fats and oils are essential... for me.".
An aside:
I prefer a slurpy slidey excess of long-burning fuels such as olive oil, avocado, sprouted nuts and seeds, and BACON.
Fry some sausages, roast a ham or fowl, and a nice sauce or gravy from greasy fond and drippings is essential... for me.
(Forget that preface 'I prefer'.
'I live for...' is accurate.
'I would be mucho grumpier without...' is also accurate.)
I eliminated quick-burning carbohydrates because they are... often unpleasant... to me.
And I think a salad is best in the blender.

Eat to Live do not live to eat.

Attachments

• 6xuyp9goqnzz-fruitsandvegetables.jpg
    6xuyp9goqnzz-fruitsandvegetables.jpg
    535.6 KB · Views: 0
Here I thought you were showing a bunch of M&Ms. Then I saw that it was healthy food. Banana slugs are healthy food; why not show a picture of a group of them? ;):D
Do you have ANY conception of how hard it is to herd banana slugs, much less get a decent group portrait of them? And this says doesn't even take into account the problems surrounding branding time. Trail dust is bad, but trail slime? No thank you. If I have to ride a pygmy pony, I'll stick with dental floss.
(boy, are some of you going to be struggling to grasp that comment. ask somebody. yes, I'm crazy as hell, but that actually has a basis in reality...at least on vinyl. RIP FZ.)

Do you have ANY conception of how hard it is to herd banana slugs, much less get a decent group portrait of them? And this says doesn't even take into account the problems surrounding branding time. Trail dust is bad, but trail slime? No thank you. If I have to ride a pygmy pony, I'll stick with dental floss.
(boy, are some of you going to be struggling to grasp that comment. ask somebody. yes, I'm crazy as hell, but that actually has a basis in reality...at least on vinyl. RIP FZ.)
Many years ago, at least one California state park used to host banana slug races. You paint a 4x4 piece of plywood with enamel paint, and then mark starting and ending lines. Main takeaway from watching a few races - banana slugs had absolutely NO sense of direction.

Last edited:
I can just hear a bunch of 'pride of MY State' types going "yeah, but those were CALIFORNIA banana slugs. Those guys from MY state'd put them slimy suckers to SHAME. We train 'em good here in..."
And then we'd have a whole perhaps-heated discussion about which state has the best banana slugs.
Many years ago, at least one California state park used to host banana slug races. You paint a 4.4 piece of plywood with enamel paint, and then mark starting and ending lines. Main takeaway from watching a few races - banana slugs had absolutely NO sense of direction.

[sigh]
a)
I like an opinion to be prefaced with "I think...", as in "I think greasy food is often unpleasant", and I would be comfortable with closing that opinion with "... for me."
b)
Fats and oils are essential.
This is a medical fact.
No need to qualify it with "I think fats and oils are essential... for me.".
An aside:
I prefer a slurpy slidey excess of long-burning fuels such as olive oil, avocado, sprouted nuts and seeds, and BACON.
Fry some sausages, roast a ham or fowl, and a nice sauce or gravy from greasy fond and drippings is essential... for me.
(Forget that preface 'I prefer'.
'I live for...' is accurate.
'I would be mucho grumpier without...' is also accurate.)
I eliminated quick-burning carbohydrates because they are... often unpleasant... to me.
And I think a salad is best in the blender.
Agree on much of this, but stuff from a blender is a huge sugar hit all at once. Don't kid yourself you're being healthy in that. You might be better off skipping the fruit and veggies than pounding them into your bloodstream all at once

Eat to Live do not live to eat.
But I like to eat good stuff and I like to share good stuff to eat. Every 'holiday' and celebration have for ever had its foods to enjoy. While I agree eating to live is important and living to eat is not the only thing to live for it is OK to enjoy all things food. I can't imagine not planning good foods for so many things... Things we do live for. Family gatherings, friends coming over for dinner, a romantic picnic, a warm meal after a cold day outside, a cool meal after a hot day in the garden. I enjoy making friends favorite goodies if I know what it is. I enjoy finding a great place to eat something cooked really well. So maybe it is OK to live to eat, just so it's not the only thing to live for

Having a favorite food helps me live another day. Since I was cured from Alpha Gal Syndrome I am looking forward to creating the perfect rack of baby back ribs. It gives me a reason to be moderate on other foods. I cut portions, don’t order much fried delicacy, so occasionally I can splurge.

Eating is one of the greatest pleasures. A PB &J can bring me back to my childhood. So can spaghetti and meatballs. I would spend 12 hours making 5 gallons of sauce because the recipe I learned was that way. That would feed the family for about 3 months. Canning is still a skill.

Agree on much of this, but stuff from a blender is a huge sugar hit all at once. Don't kid yourself you're being healthy in that. You might be better off skipping the fruit and veggies than pounding them into your bloodstream all at once
* I eat one fig or one apple a couple times a week... because of the sugars in fruit.
* I avoid root vegetables such as carrots and potatoes... because of the sugars.
* I avoid grains... because of the sugars.
* For Halloween, I stick to tricks... because of the sugars.
So far, so good.
An aside:
I hope my posts tend to emphasize my experience by my use of 'I' phrases.
By doing this, I hope to avoid sounding like I am preaching or dictating or belittling.
Although this's my goal, I sometimes fail magnificently, spectacularly.
At that point, I hope my 'sugars' are gentle with me.

It's a bit odd that you both want and avoid sugars, but everyone's different. I avoid sugars as much as I can, as your body will never run out of the ability to produce sugars from anything and everything you eat, so it is entirely unnecessary to eat them unless you're diabetic. In which case, you go do you, of course. And otherwise, you still do you.

I'm just not a fan of juices and other insta-sugar-nuke attacks on our systems. I was quite surprised to find out that things like orange juice aren't actually healthy at all. So in contrast to everything I learned growing up, and everything that was preached to me on TV and anywhere else I could look.