back country vehicles, and many questions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Offroad, Great Ideas, I've used bead locker rims, and fire bead reseating myself, on purely offroad buggies, My opinion ( from over 40 years experience offroading) is I wouldn't want to air the tires on a heavy van down that low, its just not going to help any extra from airing down to 10 psi) and the abuse to a Tire you drive 65 mph on the highway with is not very safe. There are limits as to where you should go with a heavy, 2 wheel drive, van dwelling converted, van. This is why Quigley and other companies build 4x4 vans. Add to the vehicle list, 11 off road motorcycles, 1 '69 ford bronco (great truck) 2 K-5 blasers, 1 S-10 blazer, and several 4x4 chevy pick-ups. No 4x4 vans, YET.

Hi there;

I'm not sure why this thread has become a bit contentious. Every situation when stuck brings it own unique combination of circumstances and you do what must be done to get out...there is no one answer for all.

My own solution is to buy the best tires I can afford and get the extended warranty...every time I go for a routine rotate I have them remove my tires, do a good rim clean and reseat them. I just tell them point blank I had to air down when stuck. I've never had any hassles, the major tire chain store I use is happy to help keep me safe.

As I live in the mountains with mandatory chain-up possibilities I do carry chains but I've used them as traction mats a lot more often than I've actually put them on.

I do love those roads less traveled by...

Hugs,