Average MPG in your Van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our 2010 Chevy 1500 AWD 5.3L v8 van typically sits at ~6,800/6,900lbs at the scales with full tanks, two occupants, and supplies for ~2+ weeks. Its GVWR is 7,000lbs...so we run very close to max nearly all the time.
All that to say...

~60% city / 40% highway ~13mpg
~40% city / 60% highway ~15mpg

And while towing our 15ft fiberglass trailer (2,300lbs at scales)...
~40% city / 60% highway ~12mpg

So there you have my official update. Rig currently has just under 25,000 miles on it.

Thom

1989 Dodge B150
5.2L V8 and A999 automatic.

80% freeway at 55-65MPH so far is 15mpg.

I'm new here, so you may not believe me. My 2002 sprinter van, (which is currently for sale as I bought a new van), averaged 25 mpg. I work hard at getting good mileage. I run extra air in the tires, I drive about 62 mph, etc. My new 2014 sprinter van now has 4000 miles on it, and I'm getting about 28 mpg. Mileage is important to me as I drive a lot going to festivals and such.

I get it, usually loaded with flea market stuff this 2001 E350 FORD XL SUPER DUTY 7.3 powerstroke gets 18 mpg UPHILL. Does not like it above 10,000 ft. Drive it between 55 and 65

For the 1986 DODGE B-250 extended bubble-top van, travelling mostly loaded for 260 miles from Reno, NV to south San Jose, CA. Mostly on freeway going 25-40 uphill and 55-70 on flat land, with a few stops totalling no more than four miles. Filling the 35 gallon tank to the brim with two bottles of SEAFOAM added into the tank before leaving Reno, the van consumed approximately 18 gallons of gas for a 260 mile trip, giving the van a fuel economy of 14.4 MPG. I am not sure if the two full bottles of SEAFOAM put in the tank helped the MPG or not. When I arrived in my parents driveway the fuel gauge was at half, and because the gauge range is beyond the chart when the tank if full and running on fumes; this is why I approximate 18 gallons. 3

City is a different story, I would guesstimate 11 MPG travelling mundane San Jose streets.

I am not sure on GVW, however the sticker says 6400 LBS. Add in a guess of 500 pounds of stuff with 500 pounds for the Burning Man trip, plus 200 LBS for my conscious physical body. So lets say 7600 LBS. I need to weigh everything that stays in the van to get a true number.

Why is the post edit window set for only FIVE MINUTES?

For the 1986 DODGE B-250 extended bubble-top van, travelling mostly loaded for 260 miles from Reno, NV to south San Jose, CA. Mostly on freeway going 25-40 uphill and 55-70 on flat land, with a few stops totalling no more than four miles. Filling the 35 gallon tank to the brim with two bottles of SEAFOAM added into the tank before leaving Reno, the van consumed approximately 18 gallons of gas for a 260 mile trip, giving the van a fuel economy of 14.4 MPG. I am not sure if the two full bottles of SEAFOAM put in the tank helped the MPG or not. When I arrived in my parents driveway the fuel gauge was at half, and because the gauge range is beyond the chart when the tank if full and running on fumes; this is why I approximate 18 gallons.

Idling is horrible fuel economy likely because the engine timing belt is de-timed (time is a measurement of cycles, or frequency of cycles, time is an illusion). Idling the van for around eight hours total on the playa to keep the starter battery charged, consumed id say 1/3rd of the tank (I filled the tank to the brim in Reno before trekking 123 miles to Black Rock City, gas gauge was a couple millimeter south of full when the van arrived at camp), when I egressed Burning Man the fuel gauge was square on half full. So about 14 gallons of gas burned just running the engine to turn over the alternator.

City is a different story, I would guesstimate 11 MPG travelling mundane San Jose streets.

I am not sure on GVW, however the sticker says 6400 LBS. Add in a guess of 500 pounds of stuff with 500 pounds for the Burning Man trip, plus 200 LBS for my conscious physical body. So lets say 7600 LBS. I need to weigh everything that stays in the van to get a true number.

2005 E-150, 5.4L V8, conversion by Tuscany but not much of that left since my remodel.

Today. Western Colorado through West Texas. Several high passes, several minor passes, last 200 miles pretty flat. Speed whatever <2000 rpm gives, mostly between 45-65 mph. Light truck tires at 60 psi. Premium gasoline 90-91 octane ( runs better on that).
Mpg between 19-20. Have historically calculated 17-21 mixed highway. Once pulled a small UHaul -- 13! Bleh! Good excuse to never do that again ;)

1987 high top 6 cyl extended E 150. Just tested on my last trip to NY and got 15 MPG. Fully loaded, at least 40% was in town driving and one long climb over Bear Mountain. I was pleased with the results, thought it would be much lower.

Haven't checked my 1988 E150 with 302 V8 yet. Having mechanical issues.....
My 1986 E150 with 300 straight six gets 16 MPG when in good tune.
As the '88 is nearly the same displacement with fuel injection it should be similar MPG.

2014 Chevy Express 1500 AWD

Before we started putting stuff on the roof:
Best: 19MPG, Worst: 16.5 MPG

After we put stuff on the roof (Solar panels, MaxxFan, 2 Thule Sonic Cargo Boxes):
Not sure yet, we haven't burned through a hole tank of gas with everything up there. However, it seems like it will be somewhere around 16 at best. I'll try to remember to update when we next fill up.

I have a rather unconventional 1992 Ford E350 extended van. It was a handicap patient hauler so the hightop is about two feet tall. There are also four large solar panels mounted on the top on a custom full length ladder rack. Altogether, she sits over nine feet tall. It has a 460 fuel injected engine. In stop and go city traffic, I can count on around 10 miles to the gallon. On the highway it gets 12 mpg or a little better. Doesn't really matter if I'm hauling anything or not. That's with completely built out interior, a full tank of gas (33 gallons) and a full 60 gallon water tank. She's a beast, but she can pull or carry anything and still have crazy power to spare.

Just filled up. On our last tank, now with a bunch of junk up on the roof, we averaged 15.5MPG. Not as good as I was hoping, but also could be worse. This is about 70% city, 30% highway.

2008 Ford E350 Triton 5.4 V8 with a high top. On our trip last winter from Seattle to Key West we got 12 - 16 mpg. Depending on temperature and terrain. Colder and higher less. Warmer and flatter more. Cruising at 65 mph.

Maybe we're looking at this wrong. Since vandwelling is about staying put for a while in various places, with minimal driving, maybe we should be thinking in terms of gallons per time period. (Week, month, whatever) That also fits with how we budget expenses.

Sure that is one possibility MrNoodly, but for me van-dwelling was about better fuel economy than a full sized RV so I can tour the country and see things, while still bringing my "home" with me. If I were to stay put for longer periods of time, I'd rather have a full sized RV (more comforts) and a toad (better MPGs to see local sights).

The van is a jack-of-all-trades. Good at all things, but great at none.

After about 3,000 miles of driving, I find I got 17 MPG on the downhill stretch from Slegman to L.A.

On highway 1 between LA and Monterrey I averaged 14.5 MPG. Lots of twists and turns. One lanes and construction. I will be sure to drive this again!

Around town I get about 12.

Not a drop of oil used, so I am happy there!

Speaking of gas, I got it for $2.99/gal today for the first time in a long time.

We saw $3.13 for a brief time, now it has edged up to $3.19 at those two stations. In the $3.20's elsewhere, up to $3.39 in the most expensive. Luckily the cheaper stations are close to my home.

;) we once got 19mpg with a tail wind driving up the Columbia River Gorge on HWY 84. Got to camp and looked at the recorded weather for the area... gusts up to 60mph. I think that helped.

Latest posts