Attacked While Sleeping in Jeep

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
flying kurbmaster,

To each their own. I can certainly understand your position.

I would also ask the question, how many who didn't have a gun (or other means of protection) and didn't get away are here to post their stories?

This latest story is about walking across the parking lot to use a public restroom at a rest stop. The first rule of martial arts is to not to put yourself in a condition like that in the first place. If you don't have bathroom facilities in your rig then you must risk it. Risk it and become a brisket, dead meat. The predator waited until you were a ways from your vehicle before exposing himself. It then became a test to see if he could close the distance cutting off your chance to return to the vehicle. If the parking lot was that empty then your vehicle should have been right in front of the bathroom. It makes no sense to use any rest stop and be the only one there. A bad person can be there on foot on purpose. You can avoid using a gun if you are smart. I don't need to leave my vehicle at rest stops. If they want in then let them try.

My vehicle was right in front of the restroom—as close as I could get. The parked camper was about 100 yards away on the other end of the parking area. I didn't have any means to pee in my vehicle—it was a 1986 Toyota pickup with the front seat (which was the only seat in those trucks) filled with me and dog!

You are right though, it makes no sense to stop at rest area like that. In my own defense, I had to "go" so bad it was hurting. It was only the scare of the event that cramped up my muscles enough to get me down the road, find a spot, and finally relieve myself.

JanaBanana said:
RoamerRV428,

I seem to have a connection with dogs, especially my own.  I get to know their barks and other quirks.  In this situation, I knew from her bark that it was a warning and not a "let me out to get the squirrel!  I am sure I can get it this time!" type of bark.

To all,
I am the peaceable type, don't like violence of any sort.  While not a religious person, I do resonate with buddhist and zen philosophies—especially when it comes to do no harm, etc.  Some might say that if someone is trying to harm you/kill you, then allow them to do it since we are all "One."  But, think this through to its deepest level—by allowing someone to hurt/kill you, this then is also an allowing of someone to defile the "One." 

Not sure if this makes sense—I get philosophical at times.
Doesn’t make any sense to me.

"Doesn’t make any sense to me."

I didn't think it would. :)

RoamerRV428 said:
 . . . I got big Bear pepper stray cans that aren't even little dulled down spray for humans so if I sprayed my big azz bear spray cans at a human I would probably be charged with some type of 'over kill not legal on human charges' maybe, but darn I would be alive to deal with it :) . . .
FYI, comparison of bear spray and pepper spray.
 - Bear spray: 1 - 3% Oleoresin capsicum, Range = 30 ft, fog or stream.
 - Pepper spray: ~10% OC, range = 10 ft, stream.

JanaBanana said:
Spaceman,
Yes, I am concealed carry permitted and know which states I can visit and which ones not . . .
I commented for the newbies that will read this.  Some don't realize the legal rat's maze that carrying a handgun is.
Thanks for your understanding.

JanaBanana said:
flying kurbmaster,

To each their own.  I can certainly understand your position.

I would also ask the question, how many who didn't have a gun (or other means of protection) and didn't get away are here to post their stories?
I don’t know the answer to that but I do know the answer to the one where they had a gun and they or someone close to them used it. We’ve been watching that play out,, they are in jail, will have years of court battles, unemployable, their lives are ruined, other then being the monthly centerfold to the nra and the kkk magazines. In my mind not a life worth living anymore. I think I would rather take my chances of recovering from a wound or even dying rather then live like that. Like you said though to each their own.

(I am still trying to figure out the quoting feature)

flying kurbmaster wrote: "I think I would rather take my chances of recovering from a wound or even dying rather then live like that. "

I can appreciate this statement—I really can.

Believe me when I say I am no stranger to violent acts perpetuated against loved ones. My brother was murdered—in the wrong place at the wrong time. For a long time I carried at the insistence of the local sheriff—yes, you heard that right. So I did, for quite a few years. Then I moved a long ways away from that area, stopped carrying, the whole works. I reached a stage where I felt as you stated.

So what has changed? I have reached a point where I value my own life more than I do the life of someone who would want to take mine. Is this being selfish? Self-centered? Or maybe what I just said is a smart assed lie (to myself)? I don't know. I have wrestled with this dilemma and do not take lightly the responsibility of ownership and potential use of a handgun.

I am sincere when I say I understand and appreciate your statement.

come on everyone, lay off Jana

This is not a person who is out to shoot anyone willy nilly or have some warped personality obviously.

This is a person choosing to carry a concealed in legal concealed carry states etc. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Jana's choice here. Don't keep trying to convince this person to another's thoughts on how to live their own life ya know.

Jana you have nothing to defend on this thread :) You are fine doing you in good form!!

Spiff...interesting on the bear spray. I went and read my big canister of it. 2%. So stopping a human with pepper spray in eyes is around 10% and I get a measly 3% to stop a damn 1000 lb grizzly? Yea where is the common sense in this picture HAHA

I've deleted a few posts. I'm also closing this thread. The decision to carry a gun or not has to be made by each person. Unfortunately when that decision is voiced, one way or the other, the thread often deteriorates into personal attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.