At across roads....advise needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rastaman

Reaction score
I have removed and replace the framing on my side wall from inside..I also removed the skin and redid the entire front overhang framing turned out pretty good and STRONG..unlike the original construction.<br> <br> Now I am faced with a decision on the roof. It is a metal roof, there are no rafters, but is supported by 1" foam sandwich between two thin wood panels and glued to the roof from inside. The outer side of the roof has decayed in several areas where pin holes can be seen along with a few small holes.<br> My dilemma is...this is a older TC 1991.(not sure how deep in $$ I want to go)<br> <br> Should I go with the rubber membrane "roof over'. should I consider metal, and if I do how would I 'break. the corner lap over, (I am thinking one piece sheathing).<br> The alternative could be to patch the areas with eternabond and lap the seals...then apply that liquid roof coating over the entire roof....right???? ideas welcomed

&nbsp;Why waste your time &amp; money getting too fancy? Just patch and throw some elastomeric roof paint on. ..Willy.

Willy....congrats on that new (old Alaska)...would love to see inside....<br>I am leaning towards the patch/seal and go.&nbsp; Are you agreeing that the eternabond is the best for patching

I have an aluminum camper top that leaks a little bit in very heavy rain and I have been pondering this very thing.<br><br>When you say "eternabond" is that the tape roof sealer?&nbsp; I have been looking into that stuff.&nbsp; And, about that "elastomeric roof paint"... can you paint that to match the vehicle?<br><br>I think what Willy says makes sense... fancy costs money and the return may not be worth it to you.<br><br>Do you have any pictures?&nbsp; I would love to see your project.<br><br>Bodhi

Bodhi....I posted pictures in a few post back under 'progress so far"<br><br>

I haven't used that 'Eternabond' stuff.. just the elastomeric roof paint. If the foam is bonded to the aluminum roof, then the paint is probably all you need. It's thick stuff and will flow in and plug up those pinholes. ..Willy.

Willy...the foam was bonded to the roof...at least what is left of it. half of the right side has been removed.<br>What I have done, is cut slots in the remaining foam and I am running 2x3 across the ceiling 24" apart. they will be supported at the sides.The 2x3's are now just about flush with the remaining original ceiling. I will replace the insulation on the side that is missing. So now I will have rafters, to which I can attach&nbsp; my finish ceiling. This now stiffens the roof panel. <br><br>I am actually thinking of stuffing a strip of 1/2" fiberglass in the center of the rafters which will create a hump (rise) in the center of the roof to assist "run of".......what do you think of that idea????