Assistance with Buildout in NC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lyra

Reaction score
Aloha,
I have been a van dweller off and on and want to permanently full time.
I have always very much been a do it yourselfer and I am an artist so I am expert at learning whatever skills needed to create my visions, thus painting, carpentry, soldering.... I CAN :rolleyes:
I have a vision for my buildout and the skills to do it yet due to disability, I am not able to independently make it come to fruition, ie that piece of plywood for my bed is too big and heavy for me to handle on my own anymore.
I will be getting back out west but for now I am in NC and would love to get some of the basics in my van complete before going cross country.
I know vandwellers understand how personal a build is and the ins and outs of converting.  Folks who dont know these things seem to have a lot of questions, fears....  And so, I am asking if there are folks over on the east coast who could help me out with the muscle of getting it going. 
I am not sure if I am posting this in the best category so also open to suggestions if it is best elsewhere.  A gathering of folks on east coast?
Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

As an older woman with definite lack of muscles, I can totally relate to your problem.

I solved mine by designing the components so that I COULD manage the size of the boards.

For example, my bed top is comprised of 3 lift sections that hinge in different directions giving me access to the fridge underneath, a storage compartment over one wheel well that is my laundry hamper and a large storage area that holds all the stuff I don't need on a regular basis. The rest of the bed is screwed down to the support risers. None of the pieces of board were too big for me to handle.

Another example is how I put in the floor in the van. I can't handle a full sheet of plywood - no how, no way! The flooring layout needed 2 sheets of plywood, 1 being a full sheet, the second needed sawing down the middle. Home Depot happily cuts plywood to your specifications and will help load it in your vehicle. The guys looked at me funny when I wanted the plywood loaded in a specific order but the full sheet went on the bottom of the pile, then the cut sheets, then some dimensional lumber I needed. I unloaded all the small stuff, shoved 'milk crates' under all 4 corners of the full sheet so it was off the floor, cut the side from a pattern I had made, cleaned up the sawdust and removed the crates. The full sheet never left the van...problem solved.... :D 

I also hired a neighborhood teenager to do some stuff with the caulking gun that I just couldn't manage on my own...paying him $10.00 an hour was the best deal ever!!

If you've got the vision, the basic skills but not the muscle, it's all a case of ingenuity! Oh and knowing when to hire a kid!

I admit that I gave up when it came to crimping wire connections - for those I holler for help from anyone around who has stronger hands than I do - many thanks to all my friends!!

I also no longer want to lift a full sheet of plywood. I've been buying quarter sheets to build cabinets.
Almost There, your idea of letting the hardware store employee slide the full sheet into place is genius.
If you can find an Industrial Arts or Technology program nearby you can hire kids who know a little about building.

Thanks Almost There,
I was just getting ready to add the thread that I could offer a small compensation, like the $10/hr kid.  I dont have much, yet if there is a van dweller near by that would want a lil gig, for what likely is an easy little job....
I have this plywood that was cut for a wheelchair ramp that failed to work so I lay in my room at night looking at that plywood and laughing about how big of a feat it is to relocate that to my van outside.  I do have a bed in my van made of many slats of random wood I had around.  Its comfy!!! not sturdy !!!  I also need it to hinge at a certain location for easier wheelchair access and have kinda same idea you described.  A $10 kid is so worth being able to put my energy in other things

WanderingBiker said:
Where are you located Lyra?

I am currently in Raleigh :( 
I am happy to drive to the coast or mountains where it is cooler and more pleasant outdoor area to work
getting out of these four walls in Raleigh is the goal

Lyra if you attend a church or have a club you belong to ask around there for a teenager (boys & girls) who are ambitious and need to make money.
My daughter is an artist too and one year for her birthday we went to Harbor freight and she picked out tools.  I never enjoyed someone else's birthday like I did that one.

Lyra,
Depending on where you are, there can be mold issues with a plywood bed base. Why not make it with slats which you can get on Amazon (or IKEA). Much more comfortable.
Ted

Lyra said:
I am currently in Raleigh :( 
I am happy to drive to the coast or mountains where it is cooler and more pleasant outdoor area to work
getting out of these four walls in Raleigh is the goal

Lyra....

im in wilmington, nc  on the coast.. Im sorry to say its actually hotter here right now compared to Raleigh :)

Latest posts