Aspiring young newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wanderlust94

Reaction score
Hey guys! My name is Sarah and I'm new here--sort of, because I've actually been checking out this site for the last six years. I'm not a vandweller yet, but it's been my dream since I was in high school, and I've already saved up quite a bit towards my goal. I'm a senior in college right now and my plan is to get a van next year after I graduate!

I've never been able to see myself living a conventional life; maybe that's a feeling some of you are familiar with too? I have chronically itchy feet and take every opportunity I can to travel and see new places. There's also something about minimalism and alternative lifestyles that really resonates with me and my values.

I would love to get in touch with others who have made the jump to living in a vehicle, and also those like me who dream about it! Even though I've been researching and planning since I was 15 I still know painfully little about what it's actually like to live the van life and what I should expect when I make the transition in the next year or two. It would be nice to get to know some of you so I don't feel so alone when I go through the process :)

Wanderlust is a rising trend, I think. :) Do you have a plan to work your degree into your vandweller life? If you're in school anywhere near the RTR or have a way to get there you'll have the option of meeting many of us a few weeks from now.

There is a current conversation thread on "normal days" and a couple of others from the past month or two. You can see how some people spend their normal day whether in stealth in an urban area or boondocking.

Plus, just reading most any topics here will show you the joys and obstacles (mechanical, financial, stealth if needed, etc.). There is a whole section on how to eat cheaply and cook in a van.

I'd say just join in and ask specific questions on the conversation threads you see and are interested in.

Welcome!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Sarah! Great advice from WriterMs. Ask about anything and you'll be sure to get some good answers.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Heya Sarah.
It's great to see younger people wanting to live like us.

"The only thing I regret is not starting sooner."
This is what I heard the most when I was asking fulltimers about the ups and downs of living on the road.
I started doing just that when I was a little older than you now.
Glad I listened to them.

Hop on in and ask anything you want to know about.
Six years before your first post,,,,,,You must have lots of questions saved up !
Don't be shy , we're all in this together.

Hi Sarah, we're really glad you're here! I find young people who are boldly defying the system to be very inspirational and I'm looking forward to learning more about you!!!

There are surprising numbers of us around, if you are willing, if you post your general location you may be able to arrange a mini-gathering or just get-together with like-minded people for coffee.
Bob

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the feedback!

I live in Oregon so I'm quite a ways away from the RTR, though I would definitely like to attend a different year when I have the mobility. I think I live in a pretty good region to be a vandweller, this is an area with a lot of hippies and co-ops and unconventional people. I'm pretty sure I've even seen one or two vans that look like someone is living in them! Ultimately I really want to live in Europe; I speak fluent German and lived in Germany last year, and my degree is in International Studies. But I don't really know how much success people have had with vandwelling in Europe. It seems like it's easier to get away with in the US and Canada.

Part of why I didn't join the forum until now was because of how young I was when I first got interested in vandwelling; I was thinking about almost a decade into the future, and it was really more of a dream than anything else. But now I'm 6 months away from graduating school, I have enough saved up to buy a van (though I'm still working towards the conversion costs), and I'm thinking seriously about what I'm going to do in the next year or two. It feels a lot more real now and I want to make sure it's something I really want!

One of my biggest concerns is how romanticized van life can seem. On sites like this you see all these happy people with elaborately designed vans basically living the dream, and you don't hear as much about the nitty-gritty, the inconveniences and drawbacks. If I go through with this I'll probably spend at least a year or two living and working in a city, and that's a lot of stealth parking. I also want to make sure I still feel like a member of society and have friends instead of becoming a complete hermit. So there is a lot to think about, and I'm trying to get a head start on that thinking before I make any life-altering decisions. I'm hoping talking to people on here can help me get more informed.

It's good that you are doing your homework on the vandwelling lifestyle before jumping into it. I've been doing it for most of two years now and am still learning and adapting. I'm an Oregonian too but only stay here in the warmer months. I'm in Springfield right now but am leaving toward Cali in a week after a family reunion.
I hope you do get a chance to go to an RTR. From what I saw last year, it seemed almost even split between genders and there were many little seminars just for women. I know gals look at vandwelling a little differently than guys and come up with different solutions for problems that arise.
Good luck in your future adventures! Much of the fun is in the anticipation and planning, but nothing beats the reality.

Iggy said:
It's good that you are doing your homework on the vandwelling lifestyle before jumping into it. I've been doing it for most of two years now and am still learning and adapting.  I'm an Oregonian too but only stay here in the warmer months. I'm in Springfield right now but am leaving toward Cali in a week after a family reunion.
I hope you do get a chance to go to an RTR. From what I saw last year, it seemed almost even split between genders and there were many little seminars just for women. I know gals look at vandwelling a little differently than guys and come up with different solutions for problems that arise.
Good luck in your future adventures! Much of the fun is in the anticipation and planning, but nothing beats the reality.

How is the weather in that part of the country during the winter time?  I've actually thought about it.  I'm an east coaster, but I want changes.  Things seem more refined out west.  I enjoy sitting down with somebody and having an intellectual and stimulating conversation.  It seems like those opportunities are far and few between where I am in FL rite now. :(

Welcome Sarah,  and good luck pursuing your dream. 

My signature line below is to a website showing how to
fix up a Van for low bucks to do some week end and
short outing traveling.  This is how I started out and got
experience. 

As you are so young you can always pass yourself off
as a traveling student.  Others don't have to know you
already graduated. LOL    Most folks admire young students
traveling to far off Schools to lean and try and better themselves
and generally cut them some slack.  This will be a great advantage
to you starting out. 

It will be much easier for you now while you are so young to see
the USA while you can really enjoy it and have the memories on your
terms. (not having to drag a family who may not be so interested along
with you)

A few trips around your area will help you to get your legs under you
and be ready to travel on longer journeys. 

All the best :)

JoshIsLosingIt said:
How is the weather in that part of the country during the winter time?  I've actually thought about it.  I'm an east coaster, but I want changes.  Things seem more refined out west.  I enjoy sitting down with somebody and having an intellectual and stimulating conversation.  It seems like those opportunities are far and few between where I am in FL rite now. :(
Oregon has been hotter this year in the summer and fairly mild so far this winter. I'm mostly in the Salem area and if it gets too hot (85°+F), I tend to go up in the mountains or to the coast. The coast is rarely hot in summer and rarely freezes during the winter. It does rain a lot though, especially in winter. The California coast is much the same, down to San Francisco. Below that though, it is a bit too hot in summer for me, but in the winter, I can wear shorts most days. I like Ventura and Ocean Beach (San Diego neighborhood) the best. I have little trouble finding a safe parking spot and hang at the beach most days. The Arizona desert, where the RTR is held, is colder at night (40s) but 70°+ during the days usually. I have my favorite places to visit but try to expand my horizons more each year. My comfort zone is 40-80°F but am willing to tolerate outside that for short periods of time. Some of my favorite places can get a bit crowded but I can always find a spot that I like!
If you make it over on this side of the country, I'd be glad to meet up. I like good conversations too, just have to have my alone time also. Lol Good luck on your adventures!