ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Optimistic Paranoid

Reaction score
So I recently got a mailing from my vet that mentioned that the ASPCA runs an Animal Poison Control Center that is manned 24/365.

The number is:  888-426-4435

They have a web page at https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control  with lots of interesting information on it.  And apparently there is an app, too.  (What isn't there an app for, these days?)

I was a little disappointed that they mention that there is a $65 fee, to be charged to your credit card if you call them.

But, as I reflect on it, it costs money to man a phone 24/365 and unlike the poison control centers for people, there are no tax dollars to support this.  And 800 numbers - which is what 888 is - cost money, too.

So, be aware.  Personally, I'm certainly not going to let that stop me from calling if something happens.  And the app is free.

Regards
John

got smart, I like you cut right to the chase. the line, "The ASPCA is a scam organization". is exactly what I was going to say. the national org is one big scam. some of the locals do ok. but imho they should drop the aspca title. kinda like signing the petition. highdesertranger

If you want to donate your money to help animals, find a local shelter.

I have not found one local shelter that is not doing what it claims.

When I moved, I donated many carloads to the local thrift store that helped people pay vet bills. Anyone that went to the vet and could not afford it was first offered a discount, and if that was too much, Cause for paws would cover the meds. The director made nothing.The vet made nothing, all volunteers.

GotSmart said:
The ASPCA is a scam organization, that funnels 60% of the money into fund raising. The leadership own the fund raising companies.  

http://www.kstatecollegian.com/2008/02/13/kstate-offers-free-animal-poison-control-help-line/

Here is a free one.  8 AM to 5 PM.

I don't know enough about the ASPCA to either agree or disagree with what you say.  Knowing you, I suspect you're probably right.

The information on the ASPCA's web page seems useful and their app is free.

As for the other phone number, great, if it happens M-F 8-5.

If it happens during one of the OTHER 123 hours during the week, better have a Plan B.

Regards
John

Plan B.   Induce vomiting, and seek medical help.

That is the advice always given.  Read the link.

As a pet owner, I am glad you brought this up.