Are you "out there"?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poll: Are you "out there"?

• Living in a vehicle full time, no S&B home

Votes: 25 41.0%
  • Living/traveling in vehicle part time, with a S&B home

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Planning to live in a vehicle full or part time in the future, currently in S&B

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • Used to live in a vehicle full or part time, now in S&B

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 7 11.5%

• Total voters

mayble

Reaction score
How many of our regular readers/posters are currently living in a vehicle/RV, and how many of us are planning/dreaming/reminiscing?
Bonus question:  Van, truck/trailer, motorhome, or other?

I'm in a Travel trailer, but stationary on land I'm buying, dunno if that counts

I've lived P/T in my fifth wheel for a summer but just not feasible to do in the winter in Wyoming, at least not easily. Ready to go as soon as the weather gets warm though, although I do have other travel plans (England trip and hiking the Colorado Trail) over the summer that will postpone the actual movement in the truck and trailer until September.

I fit in two of the voting categories. I used to live in vehicles full time, (mostly boats), now live in S&B, (full time), but plan to part time starting this summer in a van or pickup pulling a toy hauler.

I use to be of the second choice but not any more. FT all the way! :)

I've lived on wheels since '81 but now I'm spending 14hrs a day caring for mom.
But,,,,,I have been spending a lot of spare time looking at MAPS!

Oh on "out there" my picture is next to the definition in the encyclopedia...........do they still make those???

I have about a year left in the S&B, then I'm out of here. Even got the route all planned out on Google maps.

Planning to launch into full time vandwelling in the nthis spring or summer.?

My van has been my bedroom since Mid 2001. A few months here or there outside of it. I'm have not really been travelling much since about '08, but I have not paid rent since a 1.5 month span in 2002. Have a private parking spot a mile drive from mother Pacific ocean that keeps me sane.

Imagine how much money would be spent on rent in that time period, how much i would have worked just to pay rent, or worse, a mortgage.

I just got a Class C a few days ago and I'm working to make it mine. I do have many smaller trips planned at first but it won't be long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I work a job full-time, I also live in my '88 Chevy Astro van full-time. While I have (and still occasionally do) stayed at different free campsites and at times the state parks here in Sioux Falls, right now I'm spending time at my daughter's place in her driveway for the winter. For the most part, I have been able to stay in the van even in the winter here. There have been a couple of times that I did stay inside my daughter's place because it was just too brutally cold and windy. I probably would have been just fine as I am prepared for the cold, but my daughter was too worried and I gave in to her wishes.

VanGrrl57 :)

12 years in a 28' Barth motorhome mainly traveled before finding some where we liked but still travel with trailer and tent up to 6 months at a time.

I have a stationery home, but spend all winter camping in Florida with hubby and dog in a tiny trailer (Casita). Also take frequent week-2 week trips in summer.

Best of both worlds for me.

Still dreaming about creating a small motor home in a high top van.

As my signature says, I'm still a wannabe, but I've given myself 18 months to be a FT vandweller!!

rvpopeye said:
I've lived on wheels since '81 but now I'm spending 14hrs a day caring for mom.
But,,,,,I have been spending a lot of spare time looking at MAPS!

Oh on "out there" my picture is next to the definition in the encyclopedia...........do they still make those???

I saw it, while looking up 'optimist' (sure enough, picture of a dog) Nice pipe dude! :D

Sold the big house in November leaving many items for the buyer, getting a small storage unit for the remainder. Moved into our tent camper and started sorting stuff in the storage unit. Numerous trips to the thrift store, boy, some people got lucky with that! Bought 22' Hi Lo housing 3 adults and 2 larger dogs and continued sorting stuff. Got the tent camper sold and storage finished. Now at an RV park, we are weighing our options. It has been a struggle, but we are finally there.

Snow Gypsy
Great news ,,,,,you made it !

You've been on the forums long enough to know what I going to ask now , right?

We all want pics of that rig !!!!!!!!!

Put the pic in my avatar. It is the Hi Lo "telescoping" trailer and we have temp 2 x 4s brace because of the predicted ice storm, doesn't look great but insured that if too much weight was on the roof, it wouldn't come down as they predicted a lot of ice that didn't show up. The larger top comes down over the bottom for ease of towing, about equal height to our Ford Expedition.

Now, we just need to figure out where to go with it!

Latest posts