Are Westfalia's really that reliable?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I'm definitely not going with a Westfalia. hahaha I keep going back to the cargo van but I love the interior set up of the Westfalia so thought it was worth asking about.

Thank you for all the input.

the old air cooled were easy to work on which I did a lot of ,old wood crate 4 bolts and drop the motor on the crate, get a friend to help you lift the engine back in. My issue was always the power factor especially loaded with band gear.

ZoNiE said:
Many folks are doing Subaru Conversions on them now. $15K (incl labor parts, and engine) will take a really nice Westfalia, that otherwise is a mechanical piece of shit a very nice vehicle...

Lots of shops do it, and there is a kit you need HERE plus a good donor engine.

There's a guy and his girlfriend who have been Youtubing about their adventures from South American to Alaska with their Westfalia...They love their van but the number of major breakdowns they've had has been mind-blowing...Hopefully they are cheaper to fix than other vans (????)...

cortttt said:
...Hopefully they are cheaper to fix than other vans (????)...

Nope.

My Nephew has an 81 Westy. Purchase for nearly $12k, and has had to put - at least - another $10k into it to run (replacing entire motor, cooling system, etc), not including his own camper customizations, and STILL has regular breakdowns. I mean regular as in, they can't go 500 miles without having to order parts to be flown in, waiting a week for them to arrive, then days of labor (he is a certified mechanic) and then only to repeat it within another 500 miles. They once broke the exact same [very expensive] part FOUR TIMES without moving 30 miles. He has sunk at least 30k into an old, crappy, unreliable, POS and funny enough, he could probably find someone to buy it for that amount too. The only thing on his side is that he does not have to pay the $100 per hour in labor that most people do, otherwise it would be a $50k westy.

On the flip side, I bought my van for $3400, and have had to sink less than $1500 in parts (including two sets of tires) in the 6+ years of ownership and maybe another grand in customizing my interior (4 times) and appliances. And parts are available at any auto store (even in Baja I find out) unlike Westy parts.

A WESTAFALIA may be reliable to travel in Europe, but not in the US.

I would say;
A reliable vehicle in the US is a Dodge, Chevy or Ford, as they wouldn't be in Europe.

If you would "love" (not hate) to rock out across the country in a hippy mobile,
I recommend you choose any of the big three manufacturers, paint the outside with fancy flowers,
a peace symbol and matching interior and you'll have your dream machine.
Every vehicle has it's Achilles heel...no matter which one you choose...

Sooner or later, something will brake along the road, and in any state, on any county in the US there would be a mechanic able to fix a Dodge, Chevy or a Ford. Also the parts would be much faster and easier to locate. Even if you want to jump the borders, to Canada or Mexico.

Even knowing all this, I still do have that Fetiche for VWs because they are compact, good use of interior space and (may say) fuel efficient. But......even the late models of VW vans are quite complex when they come to some repairs.
Like timing chain service. On these vehicles it's a real challenge, even for an experienced mechanic.
To do this job, the whole front should be removed (bumper, grill, radiator, headlights, etc) and then the transmission out of the vehicle. :(

Check it here, this guy got a good deal at this Eurovan because it needed timing chain service
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5890626-Good-DIY-write-up-on-24v-timing-chain

So in the US; Dodge, Chevy or Ford. Enjoy!

Van-Tramp said:
Nope.

My Nephew has an 81 Westy. Purchase for nearly $12k, and has had to put - at least - another $10k into it to run (replacing entire motor, cooling system, etc), not including his own camper customizations, and STILL has regular breakdowns. I mean regular as in, they can't go 500 miles without having to order parts to be flown in, waiting a week for them to arrive, then days of labor (he is a certified mechanic) and then only to repeat it within another 500 miles. They once broke the exact same [very expensive] part FOUR TIMES without moving 30 miles. He has sunk at least 30k into an old, crappy, unreliable, POS and funny enough, he could probably find someone to buy it for that amount too. The only thing on his side is that he does not have to pay the $100 per hour in labor that most people do, otherwise it would be a $50k westy.

On the flip side, I bought my van for $3400, and have had to sink less than $1500 in parts (including two sets of tires) in the 6+ years of ownership and maybe another grand in customizing my interior (4 times) and appliances. And parts are available at any auto store (even in Baja I find out) unlike Westy parts.

that does not surprise me about the 30,000 I know a fellow with a( 91 I think the square one) Westy, last count 32000 in it and I don't think he goes anywhere he just keeps adding stuff to it, now a days you can get all kinds of extras for them, a huge amount of after market stuff.

You could always take a few pictures of a Wastefalia and use them as a model to re do a RELIABLE van!

There is a way to "create" a reliable Westy, and that is to buy one with, or immediately convert one to SUBARU power. Once the Westy's are rid of the awful original flat-4's, the things become rock reliable.

I've though about doing this very thing for my G/F. I just can't get myself to fork out the 20K buying a decent one.....

There are still too many other non-engine parts that fail as well. Nothing, not a single thing, is reliable on those old VWs. No suspension, nor trans, nor diff, not even gauges or window cranks... nothing.

If they went for $500, then they may be worth the risk. But for $20k and up (for even a half-way reliable one) you can get a 10-years-younger Roadtrek or Pleasureway (mid-90's go in the 10-15k range) and still have $5k in your pocket for possible upcoming repairs... not to mention the larger interior and cargo space. And parts for those guys will be significantly cheaper and easier to find.

Well, most 40 year old plus vehicles aren't real reliable and since the time I had several different VW's (again, none of them had any mechanical problems except for the Superbeetle my wife had with the semi auto trans would pop out of first gear....was that way for seven years, never did anything else) prices have gotten way too high to be worthwhile.

And the Vanagon was never known for any form of reliability and the vans before that with the pancake engine were not well loved, either.

Van-Tramp said:
There are still too many other non-engine parts that fail as well. Nothing, not a single thing, is reliable on those old VWs. No suspension, nor trans, nor diff, not even gauges or window cranks... nothing.

If they went for $500, then they may be worth the risk. But for $20k and up (for even a half-way reliable one) you can get a 10-years-younger Roadtrek or Pleasureway (mid-90's go in the 10-15k range) and still have $5k in your pocket for possible upcoming repairs... not to mention the larger interior and cargo space. And parts for those guys will be significantly cheaper and easier to find.

When it comes to either air, or water-boxer powered vans, (or anything else VW made in that era) the two main issues with the vehicles are the ENGINES, and the ENGINES, which technically is one issue, but is so important it was worth mentioning twice. They are, and I use the following word with all respects to the VW-officianado type people out there: GARBAGE. The fuel injection system on these are even worse.

The suspension to the Vanagons are perfectly reliable, and the transmission will outlast the engine by 10-to-1. (manual) The electrical system on these older VW vans are on par with US built vans, they tend to rust easy tho, and parts are $$$$.

I have worked on dozens of these things in a past career, and it's always the engine that craps out first. It is true that for the same money you can buy a Westy, you can buy a nicer, more modern Road-Tek, or Xplorer van that has less miles, is easier to fix, and way easier to find parts for.

But I will come to Westy's defense by saying that they parking-lot and dirt-road maneuver WAY better most camper vans, and get decent MPG. The interior to Westy's are well though out, and easy to use.

steamjam1 said:
There is a way to "create" a reliable Westy, and that is to buy one with, or immediately convert one to SUBARU power. Once the Westy's are rid of the awful original flat-4's, the things become rock reliable.

I've though about doing this very thing for my G/F. I just can't get myself to fork out the 20K buying a decent one.....

Yeah I can't believe how expensive they are.  Then to fork out the money to convert it?  No thanks.  hahaha

go to the GTRV site, you can pull up a floorplan for their 'westy'
then build your cargo van like it
Reliable van, westfalia layout :)

I have seen a bunch of van life travel videos from westy people online, and I'm pretty sure every single video featured some sort of breakdown at some point. Seems like a good day as westy owner is when your van only breaks down once instead of multiple times. It seems like a bad joke, you don't see this with any other vehicle that I am aware of. It's really hard to fathom why people pay so much for them, imho just goes to show how emotions trump logic when it comes to human decision making. I don't think I'm exempt from making emotional decisions either, I'm just glad I've never romanticized about a westy.

Fivealive said:
I have seen a bunch of van life travel videos from westy people online, and I'm pretty sure every single video featured some sort of breakdown at some point.  Seems like a good day as westy owner is when your van only breaks down once instead of multiple times.  It seems like a bad joke, you don't see this with any other vehicle that I am aware of.  It's really hard to fathom why people pay so much for them, imho just goes to show how emotions trump logic when it comes to human decision making.  I don't think I'm exempt from making emotional decisions either, I'm just glad I've never romanticized about a westy.

I will name it the Harley Davidson syndrome. No matter how horrid the performance their personal identification, (ego), causes them to support a lost cause. Some diesel owners get it too I think.

DannyB1954 said:
I will name it the Harley Davidson syndrome. No matter how horrid the performance their personal identification, (ego), causes them to support a lost cause. Some diesel owners get it too I think.

Heh heh heh.  Comparing these to Westfalia owners!?  Now you have gone TOO FAR!!
Code:
<head explodes>
  ;)

Yeah now you've gone too far with the Harley comparison!!!!! lol But my Harley never suffered from horrid performance, she was a beauty and always ran fantastic. Sold it last year, so sad.

Van-Tramp said:
Nope.

Must be newer than 81 because that year was air cooled, either that or the mechanic saw your nephew coming (or perhaps sent for him).  Everything else is dead on.

If you want a 50 k Westy, check out the GoWesty site and get in line.   http://www.gowesty.com/vehicle-sold-details.php?id=485

I had a 1980 Westy and it was the worst piece of crap that I ever loved.  The interior volume and utility are second to none.  Sitting above the wheels with that giant bus steering wheel always put a smile on my face, until the next break down.  I had one of the cylinder heads replaced twice at a cost of 2k per pop. Everything is expensive in Vancouver, including German mechanics and imported parts.

The last straw was the cylinder head going (again) in southern Oregon and it taking me 12 hours of driving on the shoulder of the I5 to reach a rest area in Clackamus.  She and I parted ways that summer evening 14 years ago, but I'll never forget her.

Whitey said:
the worst piece of crap that I ever loved.    She and I parted ways that summer evening 14 years ago, but I'll never forget her.

I could say that about my ex wife .....kidding, it wasn't that bad,,,,, I never left her in a rest area in Claukamus :)

Cheli said:
I came across a CL ad for a Westfalia...
Does anyone have any input on these little treasures?

Hi Cheli, As so many have already shared... Westies are NOT reliable!! We had a 1980 WESTY that burned nearly to the ground thanks to a mechanic/shop error after an overhaul (they didn't tighten up the fuel line clamp from tank to carb). As we were talking to the fire chief that was on scene at the burn he said;
"I wish I could stand outside every VW lot and tell ppl how many of these calls we get! None of my family or friends will ever own one if I have my say in the matter."
Thom