Are Push-To-Open drawer slides strong enough for a crash?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanSkulk

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using push to open drawer slides for a cabinet where the drawers face toward the front of my van. I'm wondering if they are strong enough to hold the drawers in a collision.

If anyone has any experience using these, can the drawers be forced open by just pulling on them?

That would depend on how violent the crash was. IF you are that concerned about a head on crash, put a piano hinge and latch over one edge of the drawers... then the whole cabinet will hit you from behind instead of dumping drawers on the floor.
NOTHING will hold drawers shut during a violent crash... well, you know what I mean.

I believe they are mostly meant to keep them closed during normal driving conditions and maybe a minor fender bender. It's one of those tests that is probably never done. I've got latches on my cabinets and straps on my fridge and battery but in a serious crash who knows.

It will depend on the size of the drawer, the weight of the contents and the impact force of a crash. I would not count on them to hold in anything other than a small crash in the forward facing position. Unless it's a small lightweight drawer. The latching portion of these slides is plastic. Do not count on them to hold anything that might hurt you as its flung forward.

I would suggest the extra heavy duty locking drawer slides. KV and Accuride brands being the best available, and far superior to the knock off versions of the Accuride slide. These slides require 3/4" on each side and are more difficult to install as they do not separate like most slides. They do support up to 500#. I have installed many of all of the slides I've mentioned.

Attachments

• Lockingdrawerslide.png
    Lockingdrawerslide.png
    589.9 KB · Views: 1
  • pushtoopendrawerslide.jpeg
    pushtoopendrawerslide.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1
This is how I keep my drawer from sliding out.IMG_0241.jpegIMG_0242.jpegIMG_0243.jpeg

I installed them in my build. No crashes and I hope to maintain that state of affairs. I found them to be a little tricky to install just right. Some seem really secure, others open a bit too easily. I wouldn't have any confidence in the mechanism holding up in a crash, especially if loaded with heavier objects. Of course more precise craftsmanship than mine may also make them more secure. I'm learning through doing. If you are worried about the drawers or their contents becoming projectiles during a crash, I would install a secondary device of some sort to keep them in place when driving.

I would suggest the extra heavy duty locking drawer slides. KV and Accuride brands being the best available
I think this may be what I'm looking for. I will do some research on these.

I have found that bouncing down the road will make may drawers open and fall out so I finally found the solution with the knob and stud.

I don't mind if the drawers open, as long as they don't break. Not sure if that is achievable.

It turns out that Accuride makes a special version of their slides for Marine and RV.
3832ehdtr-570x512_02.jpg
C3832-E16HDTRD

I got 5 pairs for $104 + $15 shipping.
I'm going to install these over the next few weeks.

I have 6 push to open slides and it’s a love hate situation. Great parked not so great driving . The Weight of the drawer itself opens it when turning corners. The back-and-forth motion unlocks the little latch that made into them . Have looking for some latches that I like to keep them closed while driving so far I’ve just made some toggles for the time being .

Attachments

• 18BA3BC7-D0C8-43AA-83C7-F2355B4B8D0E.jpeg
    18BA3BC7-D0C8-43AA-83C7-F2355B4B8D0E.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 3
A counterweight with a pulley holding the drawer closed would be interesting.
This could not be used for drawers close to the floor, a design parameter.
A spring could also be utilized.
I like the idea of drawers that sit down in a notch and cannot be opened until lifted up. The contents act to help against unintended opening.

These Southco round latches work really well and only require pulling the handle to unlatch. They are available in several colors and stainless.
The second option is a southco rv latch available in various strengths.
I would recommend getting genuine Southco. I've used the cheaper versions and they do not work nearly as well.

Attachments

• southco.png
    southco.png
    366.5 KB · Views: 2
  • southcorv.png
    southcorv.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 2
If I had known about these a week ago, I would have tried them.
These Southco round latches work really well and only require pulling the handle to unlatch. They are available in several colors and stainless.
The second option is a southco rv latch available in various strengths.
I would recommend getting genuine Southco. I've used the cheaper versions and they do not work nearly as well.