Anyone own a Dodge Ram 3500?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4GNomad

Reaction score
Just curious about your experience (maintenance) with the vehicle. Found a 5.9L V8 as a possible van dwelling. Wanted to get feedback from previous owners of this model?

I have a dodge b3500 ram van, 15 passenger. I bought it from a guy who bought it from a university who used it as a maintenance van. It has 88,000 miles on it. I've only been driving it for A month and no problems. Mine didn't have carpet so I had to put that in.

Maintenance So far I've had to replace the tie rod ends and tie rod adjusters which was super easy to do on a big van like that. Really easy to crawl underneath. Mine is really bumpy going down the road. Not sure if that's normal or not, no big van like that is going to riDe super smooth I wouldn't think.

Guess I'll have more to report in a few months.

I've got a 1986 Ram 3500 15 passenger maxi van with a 318 that is very reliable and rides better than a Cadillac.

I have a 97 Dodge 3500 van that had been used for as public transit with a wheelchair lift. It had about 10 other seats (took out the lift and all but the two seats behind the driver and my brother-in-law managed to sell those for me).

My van has a 360 engine and it had 177,000 miles on it. But my knowledgable brother-in-law told me he was sure it had been maintained on a good schedule and that I should buy it ($650). He did some work.. and then I had to pay a mechanic friend of his do some more work (bent piston rod?????).

But in the end, I took off for more than 6 months and more than 10,000 miles with not a blip from the engine. Had a couple of tire mishaps, but the van never let me down. My van has an extended body and is heavy -- so tire changing on a gravel road along the Little Blackfoot River was a bit traumatic until some locals came to my aid with a floor jack.

I feel confident in my Dodge and I'll be doing the same sort of trip this year.. hopefully heading out in June from the muggy mid-south.

I had a 350. Many hard miles. Only complaint is how it was beat by wind. I have a 250 now, and wish it were a 350.

Guess I have to stop mentioning cars. They go too quick. The one I was looking at is already sold and gone. :(

LeeRevell said:
Good vans are popular!  Gotta jump NOW!  :)

/\ /\ This is the truth..if your money is set and saved up, cash in hand, and you see a spanking new posting of a van on any site and it's in your area, then you need to drop everything and make that call. I have been quietly snooping around Craigslist and other dealer sites and by the time i send an email or make a call, BAM!! 0_0 that van is gone, lol...seems like everybody and their mother are hunting for vans today.

It could be an indication that more people are worried about the economy. Vans are easier to afford than a large home on land. And one can go where the economic prospects are better.

Bugsy White said:
/\ /\ This is the truth..if your money is set and saved up, cash in hand, and you see a spanking new posting of a van on any site and it's in your area, then you need to drop everything and make that call. I have been quietly snooping around Craigslist and other dealer sites and by the time i send an email or make a call, BAM!! 0_0 that van is gone, lol...seems like everybody and their mother are hunting for vans today.

Good point! I have started reacting a lot quicker to new ads with questions and calling or replying.

LeeRevell said:
It could be an indication that more people are worried about the economy.  Vans are easier to afford than a large home on land.  And one can go where the economic prospects are better.

LeeRevell - Could be, or some people are reproducing offspring like rabbits. :D

Trying to balance the BUY IT NOW BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE versus the GET IT INSPECTED viewpoint.

We have the 15 passenger 1 ton and really like it. Good ground clearance and good ride on the hiway. Plus, its plenty roomy for 2 peeps and our little dog.
In the last year there have been a couple issues but nothing serious.

What is the model name 1 ton versus 3/4 ton? Is that express 3500 versus express 2500?

We have a Dodge 2000 Ram Wagon 3500 ( a 15 passenger Window Van ).
We took out all the seats but the last full moveable seat and threw our gear behind it and a full size air mattress on the floor in front of it and took off for 9 weeks .
The high ground clearance came in very handy at the Gold Mining Club Claims in Az. 9 1/2 mi. out in the Mohave Desert , and in just exploring the back roads .

They only thing I didn't like was the sway when a trailer truck passed on the highway and I will address that before we head out again .

No Windows = Ram Van 1500 , 2500 or 3500

Windows = Ram Wagon 1500 , 2500 or 3500