Any other Vegan Dwellers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried tofu in a burrito yesterday, it was ok. Not much to the taste really, i thought it might be awful, but it wasnt. Because my problems with gout, I am switching to tofu. I dont really have a moral problem with eating meat, but I haven't for 2 weeks now because this damn gout. And it still kind of lingers, threatening to flare up. Ive cut out whole grains and wheat heavy products too, which makes this tough. So thank you vegan/ vegetarian people, for giving me options :D

Look to Mexican cooking for inspiration.  I'm a lactose intolerant vegetarian or ovo-vegan.  Beans, rice, salsa, avocado and tortillas are a really good meal.  Have you tried sprouting?  Sprouts are nutritional powerhouses!  Also depending on your set up, you might try growing some fresh veggies.  Check out the Kratky method of hydroponic growing.  There's lots of dried foods available.  Some of my favorite soups are made from dried foods.

Marie said:
One thing I did was buy one of those EXTREMELY expensive Yeti - type coolers so I could keep fresh food longer...
We have two Engle Deep Blue coolers comparible to a YETI (but the Engel's have the Bear Certification needed by the rules in place where we camp in the PNW). Ours have good ice inside when we go into town a week later for the next shop.

TxGypsy said:
...Beans, rice, salsa, avocado and tortillas are a really good meal...Some of my favorite soups are made from dried foods.
Thumbs up on both. Sometimes when we are into relaxing vs making a big deal out of an afternoon (main) meal we'll do the dip and tortilla/chip thingy.

Even though we are Paleo-of-sorts... most of our protein comes from things like Quinoa, rice, beans and similar. but no soy products in our diet.

: ) Thom

Vegan food options!!

I know processed isnt best, but in a pinch you can eat some oreos, nutter butters, Lays, Cracker Jack and Fritos (yes, sugar refining for the cookies but they are technically vegan)... kidding (kinda) but these are enticing vegan options, yes? PETAs list of "accidentally vegan" foods is here:
http://www.peta.org/living/food/accidentally-vegan/

Lots of vegan resources on PETA

I also like to eat refried beans or vegan chili. A can is basically a meal so no refrigeration needed. In summer you can place it on your dash to heat :)
Of course fruit and veg are also great options... McDougall makes a pre-prepared soup where you just need to add hot water. There are probably other less pricey options as well but heck you are saving bucks living in a van, right?

PB & J is another favorite. I dont usually refrigerate jam here at home and one can just get a small jar that they can use in a week or so. I leave mine for weeks, but to each their own :)

Sorry for the multiple posts but thought of another portable option that doesnt need refrigeration:
Larabars! Most are few ingredients, like Coconut Cream Pie are dates, unsweetened coconut , almonds, cashews, extra virgin coconunt oil. Key Lime Pie is the same but with added lime juice. Very tasty and definitely healthy!

Glad this post came up!

I look forward to more answers. 

I think my biggest issue will be no ice for those smoothies or iced tea. :s
I eat (mostly) Raw vegan.  I can't live on nuts, I'll get too fat!
When I go to the store, it's mostly the produce section.  I DO eat 'regular' sometimes/weekly at restaurant (usually breakfast), but.. eeeeeeee.. Van.. ??????  It IS makin' me kind of crazy thinking about it.

I know small towns in the middle of nowhere have organic NOTHING!  (I have to go 70 miles round trip for that) and I just don't know how often I'll be stationary.  Hmm.. so much to think about.  (I'm feelin' a Scarlett O'Hara comin' on:  "I'll think about it tomorrow!")

Wow raw! That will be an achievement! As you probably already know they make raw food bars ... that was a staple for me when I was on the go and ate raw. How did you plan on storing your veggies and fruit? When I ate raw I ate volumes of both, esp veg!

lambchopxoxo said:
Wow raw! That will be an achievement! As you probably already know they make raw food bars ... that was a staple for me when I was on the go and ate raw. How did you plan on storing your veggies and fruit? When I ate raw I ate volumes of both, esp veg!

Actually, I live so far in the 'boonies', that little bit of 'yuppie heaven' hasn't made it anywhere near me! :p  OH wait.. Raw Food Bars.. you mean like a healthy snickers?? LOL.. I was thinking of restaurants.

As to 'storing' - WHO KNOWS?!  That's why I'm on HERE looking.  I'm still stationary in my fifth wheel w/ 10 cf fridge ::) I go to store a couple of times a week, eat too many nuts, and am hoping to think of how I can be in my MINIvan traveling/ camping (i.e. stay camped for a week or so) and still have enough to eat.

I dunno. :s  Canned stuff takes up a lot less 'nurturing'.  Guess there's always dehydrated stuff!  That might work.  It sure is a space saver, but it's expensive if you don't do it yourself.  Hmm.. more thinking needed on this topic.  Thanks for the 'inspiration'.

Okay:  Backpacker meals?  Dehydrated stuff is touted in this video as being affordable, and also available at Whole Foods.  Seeming expensive, once you REhydrate, it makes a lot.  (No personal experience w/this, myself)  ANYONE??

(Video posted for your pleasure if you have plenty of 'energy') but not a necessary watch for topic. He starts actually cooking at 4:38

cherterr said:
Okay:  Backpacker meals?  Dehydrated stuff is touted in this video as being affordable, and also available at Whole Foods.  Seeming expensive, once you REhydrate, it makes a lot.  (No personal experience w/this, myself)  ANYONE??

(Video posted for your pleasure if you have plenty of 'energy') but not a necessary watch for topic.  He starts actually cooking at 4:38

Most of the backpacker dehydrated foods on the market are absolutely loaded with sodium! Be very careful with them and read the labels!

If you're in a nice sunny dry climate it actually is very easy to dehydrate your own foods, particularly veggies and fruits, using some screening and the sun, essentially a solar dehydrator!

Bulk food stores are another source of dehydrated food basics.

I interior backpack/canoe as much as I can here in the summer and it's entirely possible to make up a whole range of excellent meals without resorting to commercially packaged meals. I use an electric dehyrator but that's because I live in a heavily treed area during the summer.

Here's just one excellent site: http://www.backpackingchef.com/

While being aware of our eating habits is a very good idea, going vegan is to me too much like going from a capitalist to a communist. what happened to all the space between?

wagoneer said:
While being aware of our eating habits is a very good idea, going vegan is to me too much like going from a capitalist to a communist. what happened to all the space between?

Wow.  So.. 'vegans' are equal to 'communists' in your view or did I misunderstand that?
Anyway....the space in between?
  I'm sure the 'communte' from one to the other is just as long. and filled with tiny changes over time. :)

NOW.. Back to the TOPIC... Traveling w/ lots of Veggies!

No, raw food bars are just that... they have raw ingredients that are all smooshed together into one delicious bar :)

Seriously though usually dates are the base and then they add nuts and dried fruit... no added sugar. They can also be purchased online if you have a place where you can receive mail.

I think Larabars are also pretty close to raw... they sometimes add a smidge of juice to their bars... probably as an additional a binder or to add flavor or something like that.

Dried fruit is a great idea as long as they dont add sugar and you can buy in bulk.

LeeRevell said:
Doesn't eating 'fake meat' violate core vegan principles?  Seems like 'cheating'.  Just trying to understand the lifestyle.

It cracks me up when people assume all vegans are PETA freaks and have to follow some set of rules or 'core vegan principles' in order to be a 'true vegan'?

Vegans chose to be a vegan for a variety of reasons.  I am a vegetarian but several years ago I was a raw vegan and it was solely for health issues.  I am a huge animal lover, but that isn't my main reason for not eating meat.  

I grew up eating meat so there are occasions where I do want to eat something that mimics meat and fortunately there are fake meats that allow me to do that.  I also make a vegan gravy because sometimes I just feel like some gravy on my mashed potatoes.

Just my two cents in the defense of overly criticized vegans.  hahaha

You may be assuming i think communism is bad and capitalism is good, i see them both with equal distrust just pointing to a reference, my body does not crave, it recommends and asks. My weakness is fruit by the way.

Been vegan for a short time. Through the years ive been the typical person... Claiming to love animals but still eating meat. Mostly due to me being uneducated. I knew about the horrors of slaughter houses but chose to turn a blind eye. Finally I took one of the greatest lyrics ive ever heard and said, enough is enough. "Don't let your out rage for injustice end where your selfishness begins". Since then I've spent a huge amount of time educating myself and discovering that there are soooo many alternatives out there that are free from animal corpses and by products. I can honestly say once you become educated going vegan is the easiest thing possible. I eat exactly the same way I use to, the only difference is ive swapped out animal flesh and dairy. Its not expensive like many assume. Once you find out that humans aren't even made to consume meat and dairy and that we don't need it to live, it def makes you think.. "wow I guess there is no reason for innocent beings to be murdered".

instagram:vanabondvegans
youtube: vanabond vegans

While I totally agree with the above, I might add a word of caution about coming off as too militant. It turns people off and they are less receptive to the message if it's not gently delivered. Just my .02 based on my experience. ☺