Annual park pass, worth it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanLifeCrisis

Reaction score
Do you think the 80 pass(america the beautiful) is worth it (if you werent a senior)? Would you say the entrance fees to these places is typically higher? What places do you think are most worth paying to enter for that matter?

If you're planning on visiting at least three parks in a year it's worth it. The entrance fee for the more popular parks is $30.00 which is usually good for 7 days. All of the parks in the west are worth visiting. They're incredibly beautiful! If you have a pass you'll be more willing to visit some of the smaller less well known and visited parks.

Are you talking about the National Parks or State?
A friend just got the annual State Park pass for $125, on-line.

I've often thought about getting one, or both, of the passes, but I can't remember the last time I visited a state or national park.

I meant the national one. Im just not that familiar with the parks to know if its worth it. Id imagine if you travel a lot between states a state pass would be a waste...or do they have some sort of reciprocity?

Unfortunately i am not military or disabled...unless fat counts [emoji14] Well these days it might even lol

Wow 30 bucks just to get in some...you may be right then...

I think I paid $25 for the Oregon annual pass a month ago. It's already paid for itself because of how much I love Silver Falls Park. Not to mention all the other beautiful parks here.

I have the federal senior pass and it has come in very handy, as I get free admission to all the parks and reduced camp fees that we rarely take advantage of by opting to find free. The 2 Or state parks where we stayed honored it with 1/2 price ($10 w/showers). We also display the card for day use parks to avoidthe $5 fee.

Martin...I don't think they have a fat guy card  :D

It all depends on where you are going to be located. California has more National Parks than all the eastern states combined. You'd definitely get more than your moneys worth there. You probably would not get your moneys worth back east.

They also work in a surprising number of National Forest Recreation areas.

From Flagstaff, AZ I'm within an easy days drive of at least a dozen NPs. If I'm willing to drive two days, it's probably 30.

It's all a matter of location.
Bob

Iggy said:
I think I paid $25 for the Oregon annual pass a month ago. It's already paid for itself because of how much I love Silver Falls Park. Not to mention all the other beautiful parks here.

x2!!

We love SFSP so much, that we've been there at least 15 times, and camped there at least a dozen.

Why, we were there just a month ago.
(sadly, the water was the lowest I believe we've ever seen. ) :(

As for a NPP...it's about $80 for an annual pass, and well worth it if you're gonna be visiting many parks in the next year.

If you are 62 or older, the $10 lifetime senior pass is definatly worth it. For us younger people, it depends how much you will use it. (Buy it the 1st of the month, it will be good 13 months.)

I totally agree with the reply saying once you have it, you will use it to go see a park without having to give it a second thought. Even in the east or south, once you have it you won't have to stop and evaluate whether you should spend money to see this small park or that one, etc.

Of course, if you do NOT plan to travel and be near more than one or two parks, then it would be a waste.

If you are going to have a chance to go out west, just read through Bob's blog posts from the past several weeks and view the places he's shown us. The west has mind-blowing parks that, to me, are the essence of why we travel. You can always wait until you are AT the first park you know you'd like to see and then buy your pass at that time. It will be good for the longest time that way.

Canine said:
The United States has 58 National Parks.

But don't forget the Park Service does much more than than those 58 parks it's preserving for their natural beauty. It is in charge of most of the National Historical places like Gettysburg or Little Bighorn (Custer's Last Stand), or the National Wildlife Refuges or National Seashores. Your pass works there as well. But it's not just National Park Service areas, it's also good at many National Forest Recreation Areas.

I've used mine many times this summer at non-National Parks.
Bob

gramakittycat said:
If you are disabled any age or a veteran I believe you get it free also

Disabled maybe, but I think vets have to be a medal of honor winner to get in for free - if you are one of the 16 lucky enough to be still amongst the living. :D

You must be current active duty military to get the free annual "America the Beautiful" pass.  

Chip