Animal bounties

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
The thread about pike minnow bounties got me to thinking about other problem critters that a person can make a living/gas money by eradicating.
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=40943&pid=507998#pid507998

I was aware that texas had an issue with feral pigs and that some states paid bounties on coyotes as well.

I found this nifty article  https://actionecon.com/animal-bounty-hunting-as-a-side-hustle/

Does anyone here hunt critters for the bounty or have you?
The pig bounty in Texas seems a bit low.. 5 bux a tail??!!. I would hope you can get it in one shot and don't have to dispose of the carcass. but parked in the right spot...
  50 bux for a pair of coyote ears seems much easier and profitable.. and pike minnows seem to be about the most relaxing and still decent return on investment.

Any ideas on other critters that can be culled for profit?..

Used to be one on the wolf, before we found out the wolf is warm and fuzzy too.  -crofter

I hit a wild pig going to work a few years ago.

There are bounty for some non native snacks in Florida and there is a bounty for some fish in the Columbia river but not sure what kind of fish.

I personally would not be offended if some one around here put a bounty on the coyotes and deer here. They are getting to be a real problem. And they can be a bit dangerous. I have had to keep my BIG dog inside at night as we have had to 'rescue' him a couple times. Would not want a small child to have to deal with either one. They are not afraid of people anymore. Not to mention the deer eat my gardens and fruit from my trees.

No it knocked the left side mirror off and had some body damage, nothing serious, but the mirror was well over $100 to replace.

Thats what I thought too, I was driving a Geo Metro, luckily it was a glancing blow.

Arizona a I believe had a program paying $25 for fish(trout) of a certain kind and size below the dam on the Colorado River that may still be going on. You had to take a class and preregistration was required.

slow2day said:
Tourists that become snacks for gators?
No, the just take the gator home and make new shoes for the missus...
The money bounty is Pythons, that were set loose by animal 'lovers' who had them as pets, when they grew too much for comfort.

That's a real job, in FL. Python hunter:
The going rate: $8.65 an hour, with extra bounties depending on the length of the snake. It's an additional $50 for the first 4 feet and $25 for every foot thereafter. Hunters who catch pythons that were guarding eggs can collect an extra $200.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/f...0190913-27j2xinourgwxark7jphztmdou-story.html

nice link list sofi!
i had no idea so many pests paid out. It looks like South Dakota has nearly all of those listed for payment... skunks...lol.. i think i would pass on that... even tho it looks to be good paying.

nice tip about the brown trout bullfrog. it indeed looks to be active for a few years more.
https://www.azcentral.com/story/new...d-catching-non-native-brown-trout/6319525002/

i wouldn't mind fishing the pike minnows in the Northwest and then brown trout in AZ during winter... I'm going to research that a bit more.

lol.. i don't do skunk bounty... it's just laundry day.

https://www.nps.gov/glca/planyourvisit/brown-trout-harvest.htm
the rules... and i think this is coconino county too... which is a plus in my book..

also if ya team up with a deer processing center in the local area, they would easily pay for 'extra deer' from a hunt and sell it cause that meat is highly prized by many, so just local hunt seasons could pay off in extra cash if you just am a hunter and use all the tags, you should come out ahead easily. extra bucks for some bucks HA

Now if you want to donate that deer to me, go you please have it processed wrapped and frozen?

I can handle the rest.:)

Iguana in Florida can be very profitable. But it's not all that easy, from the vids and commentary I see. They tend to hang by the river and municipal waterworks(hence the bounty, with their poop and all) and run or fall into it when you shoot them.

The next most popular and likely to be paid for -- just from my seeing discussions and vids, I'm not an expert -- is pigeons and starlings and other pest birds, like European sparrows. They can gather by the hundreds or even thousands around farms and poop into everything. The same goes for rats. The rats may be anywhere; the birds tend to congregate around where humans and livestock mingle, as in ranches and dairies.

A lot of the pest shooting across America, near as I can tell from the jillion videos and forum threads I've seen, tends to be done by either the farmers themselves or, once they get overwhelmed, by either professional pesters or "permissions" signed off on by farmers who let outsiders come in and just enjoy the shoot and develop their skills shooting pests. No pay. Fortunately for the pros, some places have so many pests that the casual recreational pesters are not enough.

There is a site I could recommend with a hunting section that has many posts and links about that. You can also find many vids in the usual place.