Amphibians/reptiles on the road?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summer

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I know walking into this question that it would be pretty difficult to do, but I’m hoping folks will read with a problem-solving mindset.

My spouse and I are looking at getting on the road sometime in the next year in a small travel trailer (16 foot including hitch) and we don’t know what kind of tow vehicle yet. She has three dart frogs that she loves, and we are trying to figure out if there is some way we can bring them along that will be safe and healthy for them.

This is really kind of the major heartbreak point for her when we talk about going on the road, leaving the froggies behind, so if there are ways to somehow make them a good and stable home with us, we’d love to be able to at least consider whether they are within our reach. She already had to give up her toads and most of her isopods when we had to suddenly move to Alaska in August after she lost her job due to Covid-19, and I just really hate for her to have to give up the frogs she worked so hard to get, too, if there’s some way for us to make it work.

Ideas/suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would think that temperature regulation would be most important with the ability to cool their living space or warm it depending on season or location.

Too bad about the isopods.

Guy

I have found that as much as I loved having pets it was much better for them and me to allow them to be cared for by someone with the ability to maintain their habitat especially as they aged. After doing so I was able to be focused on living in mine while observing wildlife that is there with me. I have a friend that has a pet rabbit that travels with her. Watching her try and protect her rabbit from the badger that tries almost every night to get to it is truly amazing (I really like night vision but full moonlight just adds to the experience). Spending so much more time outdoors and experiencing wildlife in their natural habitats has made me realize how much better the natural world is. She has reported the badger to the State Department of Natural Resources that will kill it if they see it to keep her and her rabbit safe. I‘m pulling for the badger and hope someday people realize we are visiting his home and not the other way around. Once you start truly living outdoors you will have more wildlife around than ever before you just need to learn to appreciate it without wearing out your welcome!

Latest posts