Amish knot rugs -- second life for sheets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravella and X

Reaction score
Posting this hobby at Cammalu's request.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E2cie9jHCNxAhFqJ8

The photo is of a completed round rug and an oblong rug in progress. This hobby fits CRVL because the one tool I need is a wooden needle that I whittle myself. Also because the materials are nothing but cheap thrift store sheets torn into strips.

It fits my life because I need something to do with my hands while listening to podcasts/stories/books. And because I don't have to count or measure anything. Its truly mindless. One easy knot, over and over until it's the size I want. No sewing, either, and machine washable.

I don't think they will wear out anytime in my children's lifetime.

(Now that I have a way to share photos with y'all, I'm going to share allllll of my pastimes! Sorry in advance.) o_o

I watched her making the oblong one. It’s seems calming and I love the results

Nice! You can post all you want but you have to accept our admiration of your works!

Bullfrog she is multitalented and I think she can do anything.

It looks like it is cloth wrapped around a rope or something like that. Very nice. I have done smaller things like that, but not as pretty or useful maybe I could work on something for the van since it looks like it can be made in just about any shape. Something that can be taken out a nd washed at the local laundry.... something the doggy could sleep on and go ahead and smell up.

Is the 'rope' just cotton or ? I wonder if the wrap cloth can be old tshirt stuff?
I thought about just a quick crochet thing, but crochet is a bit lumpy and bumpy. This looks a bit less lumpy, but still thick.

She will have to answer all those questions and maybe she will show her hand whittled tool. Rav is cool beans anyway. Great gal.

The rug does lie flat and is pretty thick. She might be able to point to a video on how to make them. If I wasn’t involved in a million other things I would like to try it. Watching her work on the one I think there might be quite a few sheets involved.

Wow those are BEAUTIFUL!!

How long did it take to make the finished one?

vanbrat said:
It looks like it is cloth wrapped around a rope or something like that. Very nice. I have done smaller things like that, but not as pretty or useful maybe I could work on something for the van since it looks like it can be made in just about any shape. Something that can be taken out a nd washed at the local laundry.... something the doggy could sleep on and go ahead and smell up.

Is the 'rope' just cotton or ? I wonder if the wrap cloth can be old tshirt stuff?
I thought about just a quick crochet thing, but crochet is a bit lumpy and bumpy. This looks a bit less lumpy, but still thick.
You're thinking of an entirely different craft. This one is only knots in torn sheet strips. Ive seen the wrapped rope stuff, and my guess is that an Amish knot rug would far outlast the wrapped rope kind. For instance, if a wrapped loop gets torn, I think there would be some unravelling. If you managed to tear or cut one knot on an Amish knot rug, I think the damage would stop right there because there are knots on every side.

Yes, you can make shapes. Ive made a few baskets/bowls, and have thought that dogs might like beds made this way. Cats too.

Yes, it cam be done with old t-shrits, too, but good even tension becomes even more important. Also, the strips would be a bit short, so there would be lots of joins. (Made by putting slits in the end and looping the next one through.)

Imo, this way is better than the wrapped way. No rope to buy, beg, borrow or steal!

Cammalu said:
Bullfrog she is multitalented and I think she can do anything.
You know I was just born a century or three late, right? My hands like to be busy.

Thank you Cammalu. Your turn. Show is some quilts!

Cammalu said:
She will have to answer all those questions and maybe she will show her hand whittled tool.  Rav is cool beans anyway. Great gal.

The rug does lie flat and is pretty thick. She might be able to point to a video on how to make them. If I wasn’t involved in a million other things I would like to try it.  Watching her work on the one I think there might be quite a few sheets involved.
Yeah. Lots of sheets lol. Tool pic and link tomorrow, after I find a decent video. There aren't too many good ones on youtube.

wanderingsoul said:
Wow those are BEAUTIFUL!!

How long did it take to make the finished one?
Thanks! The finished one pictured took... Idk, a long time! I've made 4 or 5 of them in 3 years. But I dont work on them all the time. Just when I feel like doing nothing and being outside. When they start getting big, I can't easily work on them in my little egg. When they get really really big, I need a big sturdy table to work at. So not all campsites work.

Cool!

I have an oval rug made of sheets that I purchased at a craft fair somewhere.

I also made a round one for one of the grands out of some of my husbands tshirts after he died.

I also like something to do with my hands.

I have always loved these rugs, and yours are especially lovely!  Thanks for the share.  (I do hope this doesn't become too much of a craze, though.  I use thrifted sheets for garment mock-ups/muslins, and they are getting harder to find.  That said, cotton is such a precious things--and I love to see to used to the fullest.)

VanFan, I think we will be ok. Most crafters seem to like more complicated, less repetitive crafts. Also crafts that don't take a gazillion hours to complete one item!

Have you ever gone to a thrift outlet store, where a lot of stuff is sold by the pound? They're awesome and kinda scary.

I predict that thrift store donations are going to explode this summer, as the vaccinated resume more normal habits.

Thank you for putting up the video, yes I was thinking of the wrapped rope things, this looks like fun. It also looks flatter and lighter then the rope things. I can see how it would be easier to wash too.
I was thinking of using t-shirt stuff as it is cut around and around not in lots of strips so the end result is sometimes very long. Depending on the size of the t-shirt. I have lots of old t-shirts and they usually have lots of good stained cloth that can be used for something.
When I teach kids to crochet I like to use thin long pieces of t-shirt as it doesn't split and tangle as easy for beginners.

Very beautiful & luxuriously soft looking  :heart:    I also love to do things by hand...i started a braided rug over 20 years ago ( from strips of clothing), but i never finished it :(    I've been making pillow cases from silk Saris lately....I have a ton of beautiful Saris...and plan to do SOMETHING with them !!  I LOVE sewing by hand too....

Thank you for sharing  :heart:

Thanks DogMom & Gyspy!

Gypsy, I love the idea of hand sewing, but my experience of it is that it is no fun and I can't get tiny, even stitches no matter how hard I try. Maybe it would be fun if I could!