All-Hazard Weather Alert Radio - Outdated or still Useful?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frwent89

Reaction score
Hi eveyone, I am relatively new to van life, so I am slowly fitting my E350 with all necessary gadgets and conveniences. I accidentally stumbled upon this All-Hazard Weather Alert Radio by Midland and couldn't figure out how does it really work. Looks like a regular radio, but with additional display to show text warning. I assume it's something outdated (because we have everything in our smartphnones), but is it anyhow useful today?

The description doesn't specify whether it is ac or battery operated. There are several varieties of these and I have a battery operated one that I have connected to an 11' antenna that will pull in a signal pretty good - well beyond cell range.

The utility will vary on your boondocking style. I like extended backcountry stays and as such is an essential.

My smartphone said the chance of precipitation was 10%. A few hours later, a huge thunderstorm came through.

Always travel with a dedicated weather radio!

cell phones don't work everywhere, but neither do weather radios. however weather radios have much greater coverage than cell phones. I would rely on the weather radios more than a cell phone. another point the weather radio broadcast come straight from NOAA all these other weather apps are second hand info. highdesertranger

I don't think it's a matter of whether they're useful or not. It's about the degree of usefulness. For example, I think weather alert devices are most useful for those who spend their days inside where they can't see the sky and feel the changes in pressure, humidity and the wind. I think they're least useful for those who are in regions where the weather is stable for long periods of time and there aren't really any surprises. In the five years I've been wandering around the west I've been surprised by a weather change only a couple of times, and neither were a threat. However, if I spent my time in the Tornado Belt, I might want advanced warnings.

I have the NOAA weather radio app on my iPhone.  I get exactly the same weather alerts that are distributed to local emergency response, radio, and television stations.  The advantage of the cell phone is that I only get the information for the area the phone resides in, not the whole broadcast area (a big advantage when traveling).  It also provides real time weather radar to track storms.  The disadvantage is that you need a cell signal, which I am seldom without with a cell booster and directional antenna up 20 feet.  You set the alarm for however annoying you want it.

I also have an Acu-rite 8550 weather alert radio; doesn't give the constant stream of computer generated voice weather reports, only advisories, watches, and warnings.  I must program it for the area I am in, otherwise I get alerted to anything in the broadcast area (can be 100 miles or more away).  Having only a 4" attached antenna reception is spotty if I can't get a cell signal.  Also it's warning alarm will wake the dead and you get it every 1/2 hour or so until the alert is off; not very conducive to sleep.

Also an old 9V transistor weather radio that recieves the constant weather stream from the broadcast towers, including alerts.  Voice quality is crappy and a 2 ft attached antenna.  Same 'wake the dead' alarm.

I can also get weather information from my inReach, including alerts, but I have to ask for it.  Satellite communication so I can get info from anywhere I can see the sky.

Cell phone tower alerts via app are notorious unreliable. My wife gets alerts via Verizon. I get nothing via third party MVNO. Same iPhone. Same cell tower ( we both use Verizon - I just use a cheaper Verizon reseller).

Get a weather radio to listen to. And listen if bad storms are predicted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk