Airflow

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyrus

Reaction score
Do you have techniques and tools for ensuring airflow in your vehicle when it is stationary?

I'm wondering how to do this in a Stealth situation with a van.

What I know, so far, is that Airflow should prevent the cabin from getting too hot. 
What if I want to draw air in from the outside and push it out? Have people made their own ventilation systems for this?

Thank you

I use rain guards on the front windows so I can leave the windows cracked without worry of the inside getting wet. I also have a fantastic fan in the roof to either exhaust or pull in air. Normal use is exhaust with fresh air coming from the front windows. At night I close the front windows and have the window by my head cracked if it is warm. Amazing how much air flow there is with only one window cracked. One with a thermostat will shut off when the temperature cools to what you have set. My setup is pretty standard.

I have the same, vent shades and a 14 inch square vent fan. On the lowest speed it is inaudible walking by the van.

I put side vents on mine. I don't like opening windows. You can put on both sides of the van have one fan suck the air in and the other blow it out. I have it ducted into a swampcooler. On hot days the outside air might be too hot, but outside air is better then nothing. You can find these vents in home depot, less then 5 dollars. 

side vents.jpg

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3
I have a 4'' hole cut into my floor with a piece of black PVC pipe fit into said hole. The pipe runs up and has a 90* angle that comes to a panel with a vent cover.

With all windows closed and my roof fan going the vent in the floor lets fresh cooler air from the ground enter as the warmer air goes out the roof fan. I do have a way to seal off the floor vent if needed but after two years of this setup I have rarely closed the floor vent.

So far this system has worked very well. Even with just the vent open and the roof fan open but not running it will still keep the van cooler by using convection. Warm air rises and exits the top as cooler air is then pulled into the floor vent.

If I were to do the van build again the only thing I would do differently would be to add a second vent more towards the front of the van. I think a second floor vent would have helped even more.

I thought about a floor vent but worried about exhaust fumes so never did it. I am considering some type of vented cabinet for my 5 gal bucket - in those times I am on the road or in a remote place and dont have a convenient place to depose of it. Never been a bad problem but thought it might help in some cases. I guess that's another type of exhaust fumes. If this is TMI for some of you, sorry - but as Forrest Gump says **** happens.

I use a fan, find it most effective. Don't have to go through any hassle either, just turn it on and let it to the job peacefully while I mind my own.

Parking in the shade is probably the single most effective thing you can do, especially if you don't have access to power. 

May I ask, why stealth? Do you really need to hide what you're doing?