Advise please on Ford F250

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
I think I've made up my mind on what I need, a 4x4 pick up with enough power and found this. I'd like to put a high top topper and pull a cargo trailer as my home, it will be built from scratch. My current truck is a tiny nissan with a 5ft bed and not 4x4, I'm starting to smell gas also! This Ford is a diesel, 120K milles, 6 speed stick (prefer stick), and has a clear CarFax and no recalls. Sounds like a good deal for the price, milleage, and for want It to do. I am also seeing other Ford Diezel trucks go over 300K miles, one had over 400K! I'm just nervous because this is the biggest truck and size engine I have ever owned and looking for long term reliability. I know nothing about this engine or how reliable they are. I'm in Colorado and its at a dealer in Nebraska, not far from Denver. Anyone with advise or any experience on this model or engine would help.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.33.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.33.34 AM.png
    352.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.33.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-07 at 2.33.18 AM.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 24
6.0 diesel run away. also push button 4wd, get a manual 4wd floor shifter. the only Ford diesel I would consider is the 7.3. highdesertranger

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN.  I have a good friend who had a 6.0 and I know he spent $8000 to have it "fixed right" and he finally had to give up and get rid of it.  6.0 is a never ending money pit.

If it has been "bulletproofed" they end up being good trucks...but only if they have had the major stuff done already and by a reputable place that actually knew what the specific 6.0 issues were and how to fix them PROPERLY.

If you want a decent diesel for the price look for the 7.3L

NomadicMario said:
I think I've made up my mind on what I need, a 4x4 pick up with enough power and found this. I'd like to put a high top topper and pull a cargo trailer as my home, it will be built from scratch. My current truck is a tiny nissan with a 5ft bed and not 4x4, I'm starting to smell gas also! This Ford is a diesel, 120K milles, 6 speed stick (prefer stick), and has a clear CarFax and no recalls. Sounds like a good deal for the price, milleage, and for want It to do. I am also seeing other Ford Diezel trucks go over 300K miles, one had over 400K! I'm just nervous because this is the biggest truck and size engine I have ever owned and looking for long term reliability. I know nothing about this engine or how reliable they are. I'm in Colorado and its at a dealer in Nebraska, not far from Denver. Anyone with advise or any experience on this model or engine would help.

Thanks.

Dont do it, unless you know for a fact t has been bullet proofed ( EGR delete, better/stronger head studs etc) those 6.oh-no shes gonna blow) engines usually let go around 140k miles. You will have a good motor if you have the work done but youre looking at another 4-1/2-6k to have it done. If you get that truck and put off bullet proofing, you will eventually get bit.

Like folks say, go with the 7.3
Ive had them in both powerstroke and the IDI turbo ( 1994 only year for that combination). With the IDI it is easier to work on if you need too.
 Personally I like the IDI for its simplicity and cheaper parts...no computer crap, less oil in each change, etc. If you go before 1994, you can get those IDI dogs ( 6.9 and it modfied big brother 7.3), and its no turbo to ever have to worry about.
If you go with an older one look for the manual ZF5 transmission too.
 Cheap parts and very reliable...keep your oil changed and your anti-freeze supplement proper to prevent possible ( but very rare cylinder cavitation in the 7.3) and you will have a truck that lasts a very long, long time.

However, if you plan on staying around 3000-ish pounds towing why not get an old gasser like an inline 6 cylinder 4.9, they were not power houses but made some decent respectable torque around 2000 rpms and are tough old gas engines.

Thanks for your help! I'm going to have to wait and find a dealer that can finance a different one, I had 2 already deny me due to my credit score! I'll have to work with my current pick up and work with that. That's what happens when your paying rent and get all caught up in bills and buying "things!" I did sell one of these "things" today and now have about $450.00 budget to spend on my first solar system but It's 4am here in Colorado and I've been watching video after video after video on solar panels, kits, batteries, fuse this, fuse that, inverters, connect this and that... my head is about to explode, not sure what to get or if I can install it all myself! This will be my first solar setup and will be running it for my pickup. I've also posted my house for rent and see how much I can deal with that one more time but the rent $$$ will help build my needs, thinking once I I find a renter I'll use the 1st month rent and deposit to buy a solar/propane fridge, fans+vents. I plan to live in it 24/7 for as long as I can. I decided to cut out the bed of the truck where the cabin and bed meets and enter through the back cabin connecting it with an accordion boot and insulate it very well. That 5foot bed will become an 8foot bed. I look so forward to becoming a snow bird and going to all these long term stays and some where you have no time period. Thanks for the advise on that truck, glad I did not get approved now.

highdesertranger said:
6.0 diesel run away.  also push button 4wd,  get a manual 4wd floor shifter.  the only Ford diesel I would consider is the 7.3.  highdesertranger

I missed the electronic 4x4 shifting. Kind of stupid if one has to push a button to shift and steer! Thanks for pointing that out to me.

thatdarncat said:
Dont do it, unless you know for a fact t has been bullet proofed ( EGR delete, better/stronger head studs etc) those 6.oh-no shes gonna blow) engines usually let go around 140k miles. You will have a good motor if you have the work done but youre looking at another 4-1/2-6k to have it done. If you get that truck and put off bullet proofing, you will eventually get bit.

Like folks say, go with the 7.3
Ive had them in both powerstroke and the IDI turbo ( 1994 only year for that combination). With the IDI it is easier to work on if you need too.
 Personally I like the IDI for its simplicity and cheaper parts...no computer crap, less oil in each change, etc. If you go before 1994, you can get those IDI dogs ( 6.9 and it modfied big brother 7.3), and its no turbo to ever have to worry about.
If you go with an older one look for the manual ZF5 transmission too.
 Cheap parts and very reliable...keep your oil changed and your anti-freeze supplement proper to prevent possible ( but very rare cylinder cavitation in the 7.3) and you will have a truck that lasts a very long, long time.

However, if you plan on staying around 3000-ish pounds towing why not get an old gasser like an inline 6 cylinder 4.9, they were not power houses but made some decent respectable torque around 2000 rpms and are tough old gas engines.
Hmmmm, no I don't wish to be in the 3000lb towing, very low. I later read they had a low towing and recommended the mid one, something about 15K towing capacity? Wow!

NomadicMario said:
Thanks for your help! I'm going to have to wait and find a dealer that can finance a different one, I had 2 already deny me due to my credit score! I'll have to work with my current pick up and work with that. That's what happens when your paying rent and get all caught up in bills and buying "things!" I did sell one of these "things" today and now have about $450.00 budget to spend on my first solar system but It's 4am here in Colorado and I've been watching video after video after video on solar panels, kits, batteries, fuse this, fuse that, inverters, connect this and that... my head is about to explode, not sure what to get or if I can install it all myself! This will be my first solar setup and will be running it for my pickup. I've also posted my house for rent and see how much I can deal with that one more time but the rent $$$ will help build my needs, thinking once I I find a renter I'll use the 1st month rent and deposit to buy a solar/propane fridge, fans+vents. I plan to live in it 24/7 for as long as I can. I decided to cut out the bed of the truck where the cabin and bed meets and enter through the back cabin connecting it with an accordion boot and insulate it very well. That 5foot bed will become an 8foot bed. I look so forward to becoming a snow bird and going to all these long term stays and some where you have no time period. Thanks for the advise on that truck, glad I did not get approved now.

Things I noted in your post:

1) DON'T touch the deposit you are given by any renter you have....put it aside and pretend it doesn't exist in a savings account somewhere. You don't want to have them give you notice and suddenly you don't have the money to give back to them. 

2) Solar is pretty simple if you take one step at a time. I knew nothing about it to start with but managed to successfully install 600W and 400AH batteries...and it all works great. Renogy makes a pretty idiot-proof kit that includes everything you need except mounting screws (every install location is different) and the batteries...and I think they may even have a kit that includes a battery too now.

Solar panels > controller > battery

It can get more complicated than that but after you have the basic installation you can then start adding things as you get more familiar with it.

Have you considered buying a box truck instead?
(No kidding)
You can often do a lot better on an older International chassis. They have the Allison auto or a 6 speed manual and many can be had with either a Caterpillar or Cummins inline engine. These truly last for 500,000 hard pulling miles and sell for much less. Same running gear as a school bus, but shorter frame.
If you are considering this, look for a refrigerated truck. They often have short frames and short boxes.
It is rather simple to use them as a tow rig.
I know two guys presently who did this and they are very happy with the setup.
They both carry a bike in the back. (One rides a Harley...another uses a Honda scooter.)
I may be able to get pictures to show the ramp setup one fellow is having done to load the SMART car he is buying instead of the scooter.
There is a load more room in a vehicle of this kind and no comparison when pulling a heavy trailer.
Brakes, wheel bearings, tires, axles, springs...all double the strength of any dually pickup truck.
When towing the trailer, the MPG will end up being virtually the same...but the purchase price less than half that of a diesel dually.
Best of luck to you.

I'd love to see some pics of the box truck setup if they are available.

Found this which could be interesting for carrying another vehicle, lol. Plus it's a 6.0 you're looking for!
01111_drVEGR95ToO_1200x900.jpg

I had a 6.0 in a 2004 F250, spent over 8K in repairs, EGR from Sinister, HP oil pump and all the associtade repiars, less than 12,000 miles later it needed another 4 K worth of repairs. Never ever buy a 6.0

The only people who say how great the 6.0 is are the guys trying to unload them.

nomadicmario, This one, by the time you adapt the back of it to have a heavy hitch, would carry a small car (think about a 2500 4 cylinder Camry and a scooter in front of the Camry) on its back.
Bet it does not go for more than 15K, but it would outlast any F250 and the suspension, if greased with decent synthetic, would last your lifetime.
45,000 miles, even under city use, is just broken in for this one.
Just throwing out alternatives, food for thought...

https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2024217