Advice on Route

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23Tango said:
-I'm driving an older truck, and as such I want to stick as close to 60mph as possible. I say that because I can see a two-lane being a problem if I had people riding my bumper the whole way. I'd rather avoid that stress and the delay caused to other drivers.
From my experience, you are much better off on the freeways than on any 2-lane roads if you're doing 60 MPH, except possibly around cities. First off, a couple of winters ago, I went into Phoenix and drove all over the area for a couple of days, to familiarize myself. I crossed over all the major freeways on city streets, and the freeways were mostly backed up in all directions most of the time. Coming into town, I got onto the city streets about 10 miles west of town, and avoided the backups.

Then, away from the cities, I'd say you are 100% safer on freeways than on 2-lane roads, no matter what. If you're doing 60, at least the faster traffic has a route to get around you on the freeways. They really aren't so dumb that they will automatically crash into your rear-end ... in general. There are plenty of RVs going not too fast that the traffic gets around successfully. 

OTOH, trying to pass people on 2-lane roads is always a problem, as some idiot is always in a big hurry, and doesn't always judge the distances very well. I've seen this many dozens of times. The most important thing to do is to not tailgate the guy in front of you, whereas give anyone trying to pass room to get into the space you are providing, if he needs it. Too often on 2-lane roads, 3 or 4 guys will back up tailgating each other and not leaving any room inbetween. I've seen this hundreds of times. 4 dumb drivers. The slowest driver causing the backups on 2-lane roads rarely pulls over to let the traffic pass by.

tx2sturgis said:
You are gonna have all kinds of fun on I-10 and I-20 in west Texas. 85 mph speed limits means that anyone poking along at 60 mph is at risk of being a rolling roadblock...or worse. 

I think you might want to seek alternate routes, maybe take some secondary roads and US highways.

I had no problems in Texas on the freeways going 60 mph in my RV.

MrNoodly said:
Or this joint in Van Horn.

I've been broken down twice in Van Horn, TX.  Different rigs, same town.

My favorite place to eat is the Big Texas Steak Ranch on I-40 in Amarillo Texas, home of the free 72oz steak!
I just watched a guy eat the steak, I had much smaller really good steak. It's on my list of places to go back to, even route myself thru Amarillo just to have a steak.

I’ll second the Big Texas Steak Ranch. They also had a couple roving musicians when I was there. Hope they will survive with the number of small businesses closing due to the virus.

In Amarillo there are lots of good places to eat on old route 66 west of downtown....and not nearly as expensive or 'touristy' as the Big Texan. 

But like the Cadillac Ranch, it is famous and a million billboards cant be wrong....right?

tx2sturgis said:
85 mph speed limits means that anyone poking along at 60 mph is at risk of being a rolling roadblock...or worse. 

I think you might want to seek alternate routes, maybe take some secondary roads and US highways.
Such great advice.

I am a sunday driver through and through. Nothing better to me than being behind a piece of farm equipment! I plan to stay off the interstates as much as possible. County and state roads 65 or less 50 is perfect all the way.

desert_sailing said:
Such great advice.
Getting off the freeway is a nice way to see the country, but OP didn't want to spend a year to travel across the country.

From what I've heard, my advice in regards Texas is drive through at night, and don't look back (jk).

Thank you all for the comments. Just an update: I made it just fine to my first stop in California. The drive was fine, but boy once you get to socal, the roads narrow and the drivers drive faster. I also had no idea what the grapevine was, but made it to the top with no problems.

Unfortunately, I broke down in Tuscon. The town is beautiful and so are the surrounding hills and scrub lands. It has also been full of the kindest people. I'm waiting now to get my truck out of the shop and hoping the issue isn't too expensive to fix.

I've made it to texas and that has really been something to see family I haven't seen in many years. These past few days have really shook me up. I'd love write more on this, but how does one talk about the sheer weight of years that spans generations. It's heavy stuff and seeing some of those old photos actually squeezed a few tears from me. I intended to write more about the travel part of this, and I will get to that.

Made it to Florida just fine and have been down here for the past year learning about diesel mechanics. I suddenly remembered this thread this morning and thought I would update.