Advice for a newbie

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East Coast Paul

Reaction score
I am currently in the decision making process of whether or not to sell out my house and go van dweller.  I do not have ANY experience in the van life or RV lifestyle. I should have about 1 year to pare down the household stuff and sell out the property.  I like the idea of a compact Class B.  it would be perfect for me once I work out the stealth or lack thereof.  My concern, not having the experience, is the LP gas appliances, particularly on an older model van or class B.  I read Bob Wells book and would, like him, have a good CO detector and smoke detector.  I would have any unit I bought thoroughly checked by a qualified repair person.  Any opinions on how risky these LP gas appliances are?

Properly serviced and maintained, they are extremely safe.

Propane has a chemical added to it so that it smells. Smell it once and you won't forget what it smells like!

It's not just people in RVs that are using propane. Thousands, dare I say millions of people all over North America use propane for cooking and heating in all the rural areas where natural gas is not available. Ever notice those hugeass tanks at propane stores, they're for all those homes.

It's actually more dangerous to be using the portable propane appliances since one is disconnecting and reconnecting hoses constantly, making for more chances of having leaks than in a permanently set system.

If you're not familiar with propane, by all means, contact your largest local RV dealer and see if they offer any classes for new RVrs. I took a couple of classes years ago in Florida, they were free and a real handy education. One was on general repairs and the other was propane safety. If there's nothing available in your area then by all means spend some time watching YouTube videos that emphasize safety, not the ones showing people blowing things up... :rolleyes:

East Coast Paul said:
I like the idea of a compact Class B.  it would be perfect for me once I work out the stealth or lack thereof.  My concern, not having the experience, is the LP gas appliances, particularly on an older model van or class B.  I read Bob Wells book and would, like him, have a good CO detector and smoke detector.  I would have any unit I bought thoroughly checked by a qualified repair person.  Any opinions on how risky these LP gas appliances are?
Any RV that comes equipped from the factory with LP will have an LP gas leak detector (LP is heavier than air so it sinks to floor level).  These detectors are usually near the floor.  They will also have a carbon monoxide detector and a smoke alarm.  Watch for expiration dates on these detectors as they are good for only a few years and can be quite expensive.  Safety first.

Having the RV part checked by a qualified RV technician is a good idea as well as having the drivetrain inspected by a qualified mechanic is always a good idea.  Also, have the seller demonstrate how everything works and to make sure it works.

As AT said, "(p)[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]roperly serviced and maintained, they are extremely safe".[/font]

Brian

Hi, Paul,
As you would expect, on this forum pretty much 100% of those living full time or part time mobile love it. I had a lot of years of tent and van weekend camping in my background, so I knew having a permanently outfitted van would be an upgrade I would love.

Since you are looking at a drastic change of selling your home to make the move to a van, have you considered doing some weekend trips to camp out and just get a feel for what you enjoy and the minimum you will need to live in and be happy?

Some folks here live out of their cars or the back of pickups. A few use tents and a car. So you could likely find a way to go someplace that is scenic or at least a nice campground to give yourself some experience. You should remember, however, that there is always a learning curve and not everything will go perfectly the first few trips -- but that is exactly why you would want some trial runs.

Bob's book is a great start to help you plan... that is what got me on the road last year!

Almost There said:
Properly serviced and maintained, they are extremely safe.

It's not just people in RVs that are using propane. Thousands, dare I say millions of people all over North America use propane for cooking and heating in all the rural areas where natural gas is not available. Ever notice those hugeass tanks at propane stores, they're for all those homes.
I absolutely, totally, 100% agree with this!There are valid reasons why the nomad life isn't everyone, but that propane is too risky is NOT one of them! 

It doesn't have to be an all or nothing venture. You could find a good Class B and start taking trips in it to see how you like it. If it works, then go all in! If it doesn't you had some fun trips and can probably sell the Class B for what you paid.

No harm, no foul and you made some fun memories! Or maybe you'll keep the house as a home base and travel part of the year.

There's no right or wrong way to do this--Go for it!
Bob

I've build my Ford Econoline 350 extended high top from scratch.  It was a delivery vehicle before I purchased it.
So it isn't a factory built class B. 

I have a small Mr Buddy propane heater and an extension hose so that I can use either the BBQ tank or the small cylinders.  On low setting it can heat the Van nicely.  I am not full timing in it or living in it in sub zero weather. But on the high setting it would run me out of there.

173690.jpg

You will notice these have many features such as the low oxygen cut off and it can sit on the floor or mount on the wall.   It generates 4000 or 9000 btu's of heat.

I also have a brass adapter that I can refill the small cylinder (green on the right side of the photo) from the
white BBQ grill tank.  Harbor Freight sells those.

What I would urge you to consider doing,  if you can do it at all,  is look at the bottom of this post and there is my website that is for converting a Van for week end and part time.   Then find a decent used Van and begin your fitting it out.  Yard sales and Flea Markets this time of year are full of summer Camping equipment and can be had cheap.  Great time and place to start collecting items to fit out your Van project with.  It isn't that
expensive or requiring that much in tools and materials for a Guy.   If you purchase a delivery Van as I did
consider driving it around some and make sure it is solid and won't need extensive mechanical work.  Then if it
seems sound find an Auto Detailing Shop who will for $70 dollars or less give it a good wash inside and out and clean it thoroughly.   It will look nearly new and then you can start your conversion.

Once you are set and your Van is finished.....consider going to a State or National Park for a weekend and sleep in it over night.  Take a tablet, pencils & pens, a small digital camera if you have one (or use the cam in your cell)  and record the set up where you were camping.  Take notes on things you wish you had and didn't.   You can make a list of things to make a kit with and begin to carry with you.  A bicycle rack and an old bicycle are handy to have fastened to the front of the Van.  You can go out and ride around the Camping area and take pictures and in the event of a break down you can ride the bike to get help.  When camping in the Van if you need to go get something you can ride the bike if it isn't too far. Thus not leaving your Camping
space.  

What you are asking is easier than you may think if you take a few of these "shake down" tours.  They are only trials and experiments but they will give you the experience you need before setting out on a long tour.
It will build your confidence and have you ready. 

I think it would be easier and perhaps better to be building the Van while having a home.  Once on the road
you won't have the home to go to if you sell it and the amenities of a garage or shop to work on things.

Paul
It sounds like you are starting out with a good plan.
You'll get all your questions answered here and plenty of advice on anything you want to know along the way.

Only you can fully asses your situation, but I would rent the house, or just leave it vacant until you spend a year or two in a vehicle. If you sell, and the housing market takes off, you may not be able to afford to buy a similar house in two years.

Besides here, Youtube is a good place to learn and get opinions. just search van life, or something similar.