Adding screens...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myke

Reaction score
I would like to install tight fitting screens to the inside of the rear windows of my Toyota Sienna. I want them inside rather than outside for better stealth.

I think it's going to be challenging though, I can't seem to find a really good solution. Maybe velcro has potential for attaching them. Any ideas?

Myke, not to hijack your thread...but...have you "fitted out" your Sienna for camping/living ? Got any pics ?
KinA

myke said:
I would like to install tight fitting screens to the inside of the rear windows of my Toyota Sienna. I want them inside rather than outside for better stealth.

I think it's going to be challenging though, I can't seem to find a really good solution. Maybe velcro has potential for attaching them. Any ideas?

howdy myke,  the guy "backroadsvanner.com"  has videos  showing how to make you own custom screens for differant styles of vehicles & also diy awning system and more videos on fixing up rolling homes.  i hope this helps out......happy trails,   texas jaybird

Ken in Anaheim said:
Myke, not to hijack your thread...but...have you "fitted out" your Sienna for camping/living ? Got any pics ?
KinA
Well, sort of... I did it really quickly as I only had about a week before I left for a trip from northeast to southeast... I took out all 2nd and 3rd row seats, built a bed platform and rigged up some curtains, emergency bathroom, inverter for charging electronics and some other small things. But my plan is to spend more time in late winter/early spring doing it better. I want to put in a floor, make a better bed, screens, better tight fitting curtains as well as some other things. I will try to get a pic of my current setup and more when the rest is complete....

akrvbob said:
If there is any metal you can reach then magnets work really well.
Bob
Around the in interior is mostly plastic and fabric, I will have to look closer and see if there is any metal I can access from inside... Magnets do seem like a great solution...

Tjaybird said:
howdy myke,  the guy "backroadsvanner.com"  has videos  showing how to make you own custom screens for differant styles of vehicles & also diy awning system and more videos on fixing up rolling homes.  i hope this helps out......happy trails,   texas jaybird
Cool, thanks, I am going to check that out!

mykeI would like to install tight fitting screens to the inside of the rear windows of my Toyota Sienna. I want them inside rather than outside for better stealth.
[quote pid='182387' dateline='1455639477']

[/quote]

Try this. Not sure if designed for inside or out but would be same concept I imagine.

http://www.homerepairtutor.com/custom-window-screens/

marshas-short-school-bus-to-tiny-cottage-conversion-00010-600x450.jpg

I have screens on my two back windows.  I got some "No-See-UM Netting" from a sporting good fabric store.  It's a fine screen material that keeps those little tiny biting buggers out.

I cut the screens to fit on the inside.  The bottom edge was cut about an inch longer than the window.  The top and side edges were cut 2+" larger than the window so that when the door is closed they would be caught in the door jam.

When I first installed them in 2010, I thought I'd be removing the screens when I wasn't traveling.  So, I installed with Velcro for easy removal.  I sewed the plastic hook side of the Velcro strips to the screen and glued the fuzzy loop side of the Velcro to the door using Gorilla Glue.  After 3 years, the Gorilla Glue completely failed along the top and sides where the screen would be caught in the door jams, and partially failed at the bottom of the windows.

Since I realized that I never removed the screens, even when I wasn't traveling, I decided to do a semi-permanent re-install.  Using Gorilla Tape, I taped the sides and top of the screen, adhering directly to the rubber gasket.  I've had it that way for over a year now and like it a lot better than my earlier Velcro solution.

Although I re-glued the bottom Velcro strip a couple of years ago, it's begun to fail again.  So, I plan to remove the Velcro from the bottom and reattach it using Gorilla Tape as well.

The other downside of using the Gorilla Glue is that it's left a messy crust on my car that's impossible to remove.  In contrast, any residue stickiness from the Gorilla Tape can be removed with rubbing alcohol.

Sunset over the bayou, through the No-See-UM Netting, safe from the mosquitoes.  Holbrook Park, Louisiana (2/21/14)

[img=640x480]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JBrnvW2Us...I/2yh4djjOD7Q/s1600/20140221_180810.jpg[/img]

That's how I did it. I hope it helps you find the solution that's best for you.  Suanne

I used magnets to make screens for the inside front windows on my E350. Stay away from Velcro tape; the glue melts in the heat and runs. Ick. Maybe some sort of pressure fit, or framed screens that hook on?

Gypsy Jane said:
Stay away from Velcro tape; the glue melts in the heat and runs.

They make automotive specific velcro tape designed for a large temperature range.

Gypsy Jane said:
I used magnets to make screens for the inside front windows on my E350. Stay away from Velcro tape; the glue melts in the heat and runs. Ick. Maybe some sort of pressure fit, or framed screens that hook on?

Thanks, I have been considering velcro tape but the melting glue will probably stop me from going that route...

Framed screens that hook on... I have been thinking about that exact method for the past few days. I won't start on it for a couple more weeks. But, yeah there is sort of a plastic edge that goes around most of the frame, I am thinking of sewing a hard edge around the screen and maybe sliding it under the plastic and clipping it on somehow... And also maybe adding some velcro around the edge of the screens allowing a curtain to be attached as well...

Latest posts